Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Property Market - Alberta

Property Market - Alberta

Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all
Default Property Market - Alberta

Hi All

We are ready to make our big move, but the property market here in Perth is at an all time low (really bad time to sell). We have another 2 years before we HAVE to arrive back in Canada but my question is what is the property market like in Alberta right now? Specifically Calgary and surrounding areas ... no point in waiting for the market to improve here if the market over there is steaming ahead!

Heard a few rumours of a bubble burst (same rumours floating around here about Perth) and the markets always seemed to follow the same trends at around the same time. But any inside knowledge from people over there would be nice!

Happy Easter btw!!

Cheers
Wayne
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:11 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Market - Alberta

Hi. I'm no expert but I was chatting with our realtor friend the other day about local property prices (we're about half an hour outside Calgary). Although not steaming ahead, she did say they are gradually going up.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Adriane is on a distinguished road

The market here is steady, not frantic. I don't really think you would have trouble now but a lot can change in 2 years. Prices are still high but not as high as 2007. I don't think the bubble will burst here unless the oil sands get shut down because people are pretty well off here in general. Inner city is selling the fastest in Calgary. In our neighborhood (Crescent Heights area) some places sell fast and others sit for months. Not sure what's happening in Okotoks or Cochrane.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My inexpert view is that it is calm!

Perhaps 10% down on the height of 2007 - but no crash, nor likely to be - but no massive rapid rises on the horizon either.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.househunting.ca/calgary/r...721/story.html
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

Calgary is nowhere near back to the employment level it was before the bust and is lagging Canada on the job creation front though that may change in the future depending on O&G prices. Especially gas which is still very low.

Prices are still largely sideways but below are the best two websites that track calgary real estate prices IMHO:

www.findcalgary.ca
www.bobtruman.com

Last edited by Budgie1; Apr 21st 2011 at 9:51 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

HannaCalgaryRTO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Hi All

We are ready to make our big move, but the property market here in Perth is at an all time low (really bad time to sell). We have another 2 years before we HAVE to arrive back in Canada but my question is what is the property market like in Alberta right now? Specifically Calgary and surrounding areas ... no point in waiting for the market to improve here if the market over there is steaming ahead!

Heard a few rumours of a bubble burst (same rumours floating around here about Perth) and the markets always seemed to follow the same trends at around the same time. But any inside knowledge from people over there would be nice!

Happy Easter btw!!

Cheers
Wayne
I'm a real estate investor in Calgary and my observation is that the housing market has been steady. Prices are rising slowly and steadily over the past 18 months (not much though). Around town there are more hiring signs, which is a very good sign. When there are more jobs, more in migration, more housing demand. and of course the oil sands businesses keep the alberta economy strong.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 10:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HannaCalgaryRTO
I'm a real estate investor in Calgary and my observation is that the housing market has been steady. Prices are rising slowly and steadily over the past 18 months (not much though). Around town there are more hiring signs, which is a very good sign. When there are more jobs, more in migration, more housing demand. and of course the oil sands businesses keep the alberta economy strong.
Hmmmm that's not what this article would have you believe.

A report released Friday by Capital Economics, an economic research group, suggests Calgary’s housing market has turned to “bust.”
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:47 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of ours has loads of new clients seeking rentals, and is really short of inventry, so if anyone wants to rent out a property ...... ?

I'd think the markets only going up atm, if they can get all the bodies they need to fill upcoming jobs in Alberta. Another friend works in the oilsands and they are looking for a couple of thousand new employees (all sorts) this summer!