Reload this Page >

Property abroad

Property abroad

Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Irishlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property abroad

Hello,

I will be moving soon to Canada. I formerly lived in France and sold my property there in 2013 (this I declared when I applied to become a Permanent Resident).

Recently I have bought 3 properties in Ireland that I am renting out and getting rental income. I will be paying property tay in Ireland and rental income tax.

Am I obliged to declare these properties to the Canadian authorities? Or is there no need to? Is it possible that they would never find out about them if I did not declare them?

Thank you,
Irishlady
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property abroad

Originally Posted by Irishlady
Hello,

I will be moving soon to Canada. I formerly lived in France and sold my property there in 2013 (this I declared when I applied to become a Permanent Resident).

Recently I have bought 3 properties in Ireland that I am renting out and getting rental income. I will be paying property tay in Ireland and rental income tax.

Am I obliged to declare these properties to the Canadian authorities? Or is there no need to? Is it possible that they would never find out about them if I did not declare them?

Thank you,
Irishlady
You are. You fill in a t1135 http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1135/README.html Failure to do so and getting found out can be very expensive. You also have to report your rental income to CRA, which is subject to tax at your marginal rate. You should be exempt tax in Ireland as a non resident.

It is possible they will never find out, but do you want to take that chance? Also, if you sell the properties then want to bring the money to Canada, CRA will find out, penalties can be severe for not reporting.