Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Project move to Canada

Project move to Canada

Old Feb 8th 2017, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Firedup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Project move to Canada

Hi everyone. I'm starting to research a move to Canada with my family ,with a view to move from Scotland in 2020. I have 3 years to work until I can retire from the fire service. My wife is a payroll manager in an accountant office and I have 4 daughters currently 7 ,8,13 and 19. Although I suspect the oldest won't want to move. We are looking for Canada as a destination and ultimately a place that's great for the kids to grow up ,I'm not necessarily looking for employment as I'll have my pension income.plus we can have rental from our current house/sell it. We love the outdoors and activities with the kids. The kids themselves centre mainly on dancing. Jazz. Tap and ballet. They also enjoy horse riding. Myself I'm heavily into photography. I realise Canada is vast but would appreciate help in narrowing down our search prior to a few fact finding visits.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 5:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project move to Canada

Originally Posted by Firedup
Hi everyone. I'm starting to research a move to Canada with my family ,with a view to move from Scotland in 2020. I have 3 years to work until I can retire from the fire service. My wife is a payroll manager in an accountant office and I have 4 daughters currently 7 ,8,13 and 19. Although I suspect the oldest won't want to move. We are looking for Canada as a destination and ultimately a place that's great for the kids to grow up ,I'm not necessarily looking for employment as I'll have my pension income.plus we can have rental from our current house/sell it. We love the outdoors and activities with the kids. The kids themselves centre mainly on dancing. Jazz. Tap and ballet. They also enjoy horse riding. Myself I'm heavily into photography. I realise Canada is vast but would appreciate help in narrowing down our search prior to a few fact finding visits.
How are you going to get a visa?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

As dbd said, your first (and major) hurdle is do you qualify for any of the routes required for permanent residence or can you or your wife qualify for a job or other sponsorship routes.

I suggest you start reading here:

Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration : British Expat Wiki
Old Feb 8th 2017, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

This is partly why i'm starting to research now, I'm open to suggestions towards the several ways of getting a visa.
I do have distant relatives who would be prepared to sponsor me as they know i'll be financially OK.
Obviously may wife may look for jobs, or even i may succumb to that.
I have the option of going to university myself.
We also are toying with the idea of buying a business/ franchise where my wife and myself may work, but have not looked too far into this.

My background is 6 years avionics technician with Fleet Air arm followed by 24 years of Fire Service where i'm currently a crew manager (Captain in Canada) and have been an instructor in several disciplines such as fire behaviour, Road traffic collision and most recently Swift Water Rescue (i'm a qualified with Rescue 3 International, so i may find employment with this company)
My main aim was for my retirement . i'll be 50. but if i have to work then i'll just put that on hold.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

As said above, check your visa eligibility first, if you qualify for PR now via Express Entry (and are scoring enough on the CRS) then that's great, and then you can apply for PR and go wherever you choose. Whereas if you're not eligible, or you are eligible but wouldn't score enough to get selected, you'll just need to go wherever you can find a sponsoring employer so might not get much choice in location.

At least you've got plenty of time, if you're eligible now you can apply now and get it sorted, if not then you've got time to job hunt.

Best of luck with it.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. it's highly unlikely your relatives would be able to sponsor you, which relatives and which province are they in?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Minor point but my understanding is the OPs oldest daughter at 19 could not be included in any application as a dependant under current rules. Even if the rule ever reverted back to under 22 for dependants given the OPs 3 year outlook it could be a close thing.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the length of time it takes to get PR and then the flexibility with the 720 days in 5 years would it perhaps make sense for the OP to not just be looking in to this but when he finds the right stream to actually apply? Unless of course it's job dependant...
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
Minor point but my understanding is the OPs oldest daughter at 19 could not be included in any application as a dependant under current rules. Even if the rule ever reverted back to under 22 for dependants given the OPs 3 year outlook it could be a close thing.
I am not familiar with the Scottish highschool system, but I suspect that moving the then-sixteen-year-old between education systems may be "a challenge". Some children take such moves in their stride, but it really messes up the education of others. Either way, the impact of such a move on a sixteen-year-old shouldn't be underestimated.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

My eldest daughter is unlikely to come with us, she's about too flee the nest and work in Spain.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

at the time we are looking at My 2nd eldest will have finished her standard grades at school (high school certificate) and be looking for college.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 10:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest daughter is unlikely to come with us, she's about too flee the nest and work in Spain.
If you were responding to my post, I was refering to your thirteen year old, who will be sixteen in 2020.
at the time we are looking at My 2nd eldest will have finished her standard grades at school (high school certificate) and be looking for college.
I am not sure how that would map to the Canadian education system, because I don't think sixteen year olds go to college in Canada.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 8th 2017 at 10:07 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is a very expensive place to live don't know how you will get on trying to support a family of 5 on a fb pension without working. correct me if my numbers are out to lunch but you make say 36k in the uk you pension out at 2/3 salary say 24k that is $40k before tax

you say you can get income from renting or selling your current house, will you not need to rent or buy a place to live in canada? depending the location you choose here and where you live in scotland the costs could vary.

there is a great lifestyle to be had in Canada but it takes a lot of $$$ to fund it. You may pay $1k a year per kid per dance class plus have comps expenses on top of this. all of a sudden you are paying 10k a year for kids activities. I work with may people who easily spend that and a number who would near double that.

I am always astonished as to what these activities cost and the amount of cash parents spend here.

if your idea of the canadian dream and lifestyle extends to winter sports like skiing a lift pass to sunshine is $99 a day for an adult so there would be an easy $500 day for the family.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 7:54 am
Just Joined

julesb79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do have distant relatives who would be prepared to sponsor me as they know i'll be financially OK.

My family are originally from Canada (granddad moved to UK as a teenager, cheers granddad) The only relatives i have left out there are his siblings and their descendants. I looked into it and unless the relatives are your grandparent, aunt/uncle, parent, sibling or offspring of a parent they aren't recognised as being able to sponsor you unfortunately.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 10:29 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with everyone sending their kids to dancing lessons these days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.