Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Prohibited items - baby/children's goods

Prohibited items - baby/children's goods

Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

BexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Prohibited items - baby/children's goods

Thanks for all this everybody. I think we will just ship all of our stuff as planned and if they take it off us, they take it off us.

Scotdownunder, you make a valid point though about the insurance aspect so will probably replace those, as much as it pains me to say!

And everything had been going so well so far...!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Do UK forward facing car seats have a rear tether strap? Here they do, and to not have one would make the seat illegal.

Also, I think some of the infant seats have something that reaches down to the footwell?

The seats I've borrowed in the UK never seemed as good or easy to install safely as the ones here to be honest. Might have just been cheap ones, but I really noticed the difference. Had to tighten them up in the car every time we went out too.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

BexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of light

Dashie - i think you can use a tether strap for some car seats if you wish but it is certainly not a legal requirement.

Do you need a tether for ALL car seats in Canada? We have two different kinds of seat we are using, the first is for baby from 9kg, which uses harnesses, the second is from 15kg and just uses the seat belt to strap the child in. We have isofix for both of ours though.

I need to look into the regulated goods rules more to see if it is both car seats we need to leave or just the one for our infant.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BexM
Oh good, I'm pleased about that! I really wasn't relishing the thought of all the extra work that would need to go in to selling everything, then buying it all new once in Canada.

How long ago did you move?
We moved in April 2010.

The only thing we didn't bring were the car seats, which were actually far more superior than anything available in Canada at the time (maxi cosi isofix).

We brought a babywalker in, which we didn't know at the time, are banned in Canada on safety grounds. Now when I say ban, I presume banned from being sold, not imported. Anyway, it was always funny having a Canadian come round and spot it.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
We moved in April 2010.

The only thing we didn't bring were the car seats, which were actually far more superior than anything available in Canada at the time (maxi cosi isofix).

We brought a babywalker in, which we didn't know at the time, are banned in Canada on safety grounds. Now when I say ban, I presume banned from being sold, not imported. Anyway, it was always funny having a Canadian come round and spot it.
We didn't bring the cot and mattress though because of the mattress import cleanliness etc problems. That and the car seats. Apart from that we had the walker (as mentioned ), tons of toys, clothes, sterilisation unit, Phil and Teds double pram, Chicco buggy, travel cot including a thin foamy mattress, moses basket including the plastic foam mattress, door frame bouncer. Some things were in the container and some in the suitcases we brought over as we needed the stuff straight away. No problems at all.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to Canadian car seat laws - http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-index-873.htm

The seats with the tether are stage 2. You might want to check the age/weight requirements for each stage of seat though, they are different to the UK. For example, it sounds like your oldest is in a booster, which they can't be in here until they're 18kg, and you are very strongly encouraged to keep them harnessed as long as possible.

Baby walkers are illegal to import and to sell.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the roughHucards is a jewel in the rough

Babywalkers are banned. Can't be bought, sold or imported for personal use. Other than that I wouldn't worry about the other things. They aren't going to check that the car seat has the appropriate sticker on it. I think the shipper was just being overly cautious.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/...on-eng.php#a22
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everybody - all this stuff is really helpful!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BexM
Hi there,

Does anybody know of/have any recent experience of importing children and baby items into Canada for immigration?
I think you should consider the rules for importing children quite separately from those for baby items.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you should consider the rules for importing children quite separately from those for baby items.