Reload this Page >

Professional Engineer

Professional Engineer

Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:16 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Professional Engineer

Hi

Has anyone on here successfully obtained Professional Engineer status, (preferable in Ontario) and may be able to offer some advice?

Cheers

JB0591

P.S. Can a mod move this to Maple Leaf?

Last edited by JB0591; Feb 14th 2011 at 1:35 am. Reason: Request moving to Maple Leaf
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional Engineer

Originally Posted by JB0591
Hi

Has anyone on here successfully obtained Professional Engineer status, (preferable in Ontario) and may be able to offer some advice?

Cheers

JB0591

I haven't but I have a friend that is in the process of applying - if you have any specific questions let me know and I will forward to her and let you know the answers - could be a delay in response but I will get back to you.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, having looked at the thread, it belongs in the main Canada forum so I'll move it there - the Maple Leaf is for off-topic (i.e. nothing to do with Canada), fun or irrelevant type threads. Any lifestyle or Canada questions belong in the main forum.

Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:10 pm
x 0 x

@christmasoompa - Thanks for moving it.

@HGerchikov - Thanks, I am writing my application whilst I search for work. As I know no one else who was PEng I was wondering if anyone has been able to get mentoring advice/help. In the UK you could talk to a local advisor if you were not employed or there was no institute reps in your company.

Cheers

JB
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

@HGerchikov - Thanks, I am writing my application whilst I search for work. As I know no one else who was PEng I was wondering if anyone has been able to get mentoring advice/help. In the UK you could talk to a local advisor if you were not employed or there was no institute reps in your company.

Cheers

JB
I have sent an email to ask - when I get response I will pass it on.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:09 pm
x 0 x

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I have sent an email to ask - when I get response I will pass it on.
Many thanks

JB
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:31 am
Just Joined

gtown is an unknown quantity at this point

There are basically three requirements:

1. Academic base
2. Engineering Experience and
3. Professional Practice

Check out the PEO application guide.

If you have a UK engineering degree from 1988 or after you will be ok for the academic base, otherwise you have to provide course details which are reviewed. If PEO think your academic base is lacking, they will set you a series of exams!!

In terms of the experience, the minimum is probably 4 years post graduate, but 12 months must be in Canada.

The professional practice exam has to be taken no matter what your background.

PEO will assess your academic qualification before you arrive in Canada.

Oh, and one other thing...the guidelines currently state that you must be a citizen or have PR (to be given a license) but you can go through the application process ahead of this. However, the PEO web site currently states that this requirement has been withdrawn, trouble is no one has told the staff at PEO!!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers

JB
My contact doesn't know about mentoring programmes - she is already working here and is just discussing with other PEng in the company. There is a scheme called the Engineering Intern Training programme which sounds similar to what you are asking for,
ā€œPEOā€™s EIT program endeavours to help the candidate ensure that s/he is obtaining acceptable experience that will help them meet PEOā€™s experience requirement for licensure. Through participation in the annual review of work experience, the EIT gains an understanding of whether or not s/he is on track or if there are any deficiencies in the type of experience that should be addressed during the interning phase. The Association endeavours to protect the public by ensuring all professional engineers are qualified for licensing. Participation in the EIT program can smooth the process of becoming licensed.ā€ The EIT program does not place people in work situations. However, Engineering Interns have the opportunity to participate in Chapter activities. Being involved in Chapter activities allows you to meet other engineers and provides excellent networking opportunities."

But you have to qualify - this is the link if you want to check it out - good luck!
http://www.peo.on.ca/registration/eit.html
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

PEng is over rated. The PEO like to make out its an essential, and maybe for civil engineering and some aspects of Mech eng it is, but I dont have it and Ive been working as an engineer here in quality/ design/ materials/ manufacturing for 13 years now.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
PEng is over rated. The PEO like to make out its an essential, and maybe for civil engineering and some aspects of Mech eng it is, but I dont have it and Ive been working as an engineer here in quality/ design/ materials/ manufacturing for 13 years now.
So you're not a proper engineer then?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So you're not a proper engineer then?
I dont have a gay pinky ring if thats what you mean If we need something that legally has to be done by a PEng, like safety sign off on a custom machine, we hire a consultant, who gives most of his $1500 fee to his insurance company. None of the PEngs that work in the main office want anything to do with that kind of liabiliy exposure, so wont put their name down anyway!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 15th 2011 at 3:26 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:51 pm
x 0 x

It is not as over rated as the UK system.....for chartered you need a Masters degree and when you discuss with a local representative about this...they say regarless of your work based learning and experience without a masters you wont get it.

I would say here not many engineering jobs here require it, actually very few in my field.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was a P.Eng and recently voluntarily had her p.eng status revoked. She hasn't been in a traditional p.eng role for about 20 years and for her future work plans etc. being a P.Eng just didn't enter into her plans.

I used to read the Ontario P.eng magazine...it is written towards the white shirt and red solid tie brigade..very conservative, very tightly controlled in terms of membeship etc. The only interesting part is the section in the middle where they bring up before their kangaroo court a member who did something that went against P.eng rules or a person who claimed to be an engineer when they weren't etc...all the published rulings were in favour of the P.eng society which I found hard to be completely truthful.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have a gay pinky ring if thats what you mean
I found that to be rather twee.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

It is not as over rated as the UK system.....for chartered you need a Masters degree and when you discuss with a local representative about this...they say regarless of your work based learning and experience without a masters you wont get it.

I would say here not many engineering jobs here require it, actually very few in my field.
Hi

I worked for the federal government and many of the engineers I hired were not P Eng. I did hire Engineers from the UK that were chartered. I have Chartered Chemist/Scientist which I got chartered status from my senior roles I held and did not need a masters to get Chartered status. I did go down the P Eng route as their charter included chemistry field. I passed the Law and Ethics exam and gave up because they wanted me to undertake lots of engineering modules. Being a non P Eng did not stop me running a government department of 70 technical and engineering staff.

Hudd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.