Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Problems with adaptors not working?

Problems with adaptors not working?

Old Sep 18th 2017, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of
Default Problems with adaptors not working?

I'm just wondering if anyone else in Canada is having problems with things not charging properly or at all with adaptors?

My laptop and iphone charge fine, but my electric toothbrush and electric shaver don't charge at all.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems with adaptors not working?

Laptop/phone chargers are almost all universal - 110-240V 50/60Hz but funnily enough toothbrushes and some shavers are fixed at the voltage/frequency of the country you bought them in!Look carefully on the label of the item for the voltage requirements. So, trying to charge a 240v unit on 110v will not work. Try getting a local charger that fits , or buy a cheap step UP transformer to convert the 110v to 240v. I have two Philips electric shavers - one is now probably 15 years old and only works on 240v. The other is about 4 years old and came with a universal charger.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Having no problems at all with my Braun S3 shaver....
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't had any problems with adapters, but I'm pretty sure my hair straightener doesn't get as hot as it did in the UK. It still works well though. I bought this to use with my sewing machine. It's $80 now, but I only paid about $30. I'd shop around.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I brought several things like a shredder and hair dryer. The both operated quite slowly as to be pretty useless. So I just bought Canadian ones in the end.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

OttawaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

The voltage is written on every electric device. An adapter is just that. It adapts the plug to fit the right slot. It does not convert the voltage. That's called a converter. Bigger electronics like computers, phones etc...are typically dual-voltage...what I call 'dumb' electronics (ie: no circuitry to adjust for you) like hair irons and tooth brushes are generally single voltage and need a converter to function.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a dual voltage hair dryer & straightener before I moved out here because I had my last ones for years and figured it makes sense for travelling to other countries etc- I can always take them with me & just use a different plug adaptor.
As others have said- items designed for travel, like phones/laptops/cameras will have a fuel voltage plug anyway- so all you'll need is the adaptor to fit it into the socket. (Or as must things require a USB charger port these days just buy a few wall/USB chargers cheep enough)
I waited until I was in Canada to buy any other electronics like electric toothbrush, vacuum cleaner etc etc.

Going from a 240v in the UK to a 110v in Canada just means things will be next to useless. Hair straighteners for example just won't get as hot, and a hairdryer will feel like someone is just blowing on your head. Haha
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I totally agree. You think you're saving a few $$$ £££ but you're not!!!
Old Sep 18th 2017, 5:55 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, chiming in on this as well. Larger electronics will convert the power input just fine... but really in North America you're only putting in half the juice, so things like toothbrushes and hair appliances won't get as hot or as powerful as they are meant to.

On the flipside, if you bought a hair straightener here and then plugged it in in the UK using a normal adapter, you'd fry it as it's getting twice as much power as it's supposed to. I nearly melted my electric toothbrush doing this before I realized.

Generally speaking, anything with a motor or heating element you should just buy in the appropriate country, else pay for a step-up or step-down conversion unit.

As others have said, each appliance has it written on its power adapter what the appropriate input is and whether it can be used for either voltage.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dear all please could anyone else kindly provide a link to something that is purchasable in Canada that would enable my husband's UK stereo to work?

The product linked to by Allie does not seem to be available. We went to Rona to get something we thought was the right thing (looked like it on the website) but it turned out only for if you are a Canadian traveller (none of the adaptors looked as if they would take a UK plug).

Thank you.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a stereo

Do you mean something that plays vinyl records?
A cheap DVD or blu-ray will play cd's.
Are you still using cassette tapes? Sorry for those under 30 who probably don't know what a cassette tape is.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello

Ha ha

To clarify: I am looking for an adaptor so that something made for the UK (that plays CDs) will work properly here. It is a Tivoli system. When husband tried to put the CD in today (1st time he tried it here) it goes in but will not do anything or come out. I think it is a voltage issue.

Yes I know what a reel to reel is and what a cassette tape is (not sure my kids do!!). I have had vinyl records in my time but don't have any now. I see in London Drugs LPs seem to be very popular these days!!

Thank you
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I still have stored away a blow dryer bought in England and another one bought in Australia .......... past experience showed me that dual voltage dryers bought here did not work efficiently in the other countries.

So it was cheaper to buy over there.

Mind you, it did cause a little consternation when flying out of Vancouver to England 3 days after 9/11, travelling light with only a carry-on bag each ........ security was super high but with some gaps

A man at security scurried around plugging my English dryer into every socket he could find as I kept shouting "it's an English dryer".

He finally gave up, and handed it back to me!
Old Sep 30th 2017, 4:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This may be of help

Do I need a step up or step down converter? How to get from 110 to 220 and from 220 to 110
Old Sep 30th 2017, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.