Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Wikiposts

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:57 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Probably been here before. Where to live?

Originally Posted by SirTainly
What is there of note to see in Stoke ?
Pottery factory shops ....

It's also not too far from Burton ... handy for brewery tours

Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:56 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
It would probably be a little hard to see them anyway, with all the people smoking "the bud"

Where are you now? Still in BC or back in England?
I'm in England - and will be at least until August. After that I'm not sure -- my life will be at a crossroads but for now I'm in England and I'm soaking it up. I'm really missing Victoria at the moment -- can you please send me some Rogers Chocolates, Mount Royal bagels and the entire menu at Rebar please? .
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Gray C]Hi

We are still weighing up where we would like to move to in Canada, but I would just like to hear a few pros and cons for various areas provinces etc to help us decide. Dependent upon what you say, may determine where we go on holiday this year, on our reconnaisance trip.

My wife and I settled on Fundy Bay area New Brunswick. We are renting in St Andrews and will be buying near St George soon. This cost line is extremely busy during the summer months with holidaymakers from within Canada. Property prices are 50% higher than 30 miles inland. I recommend settling in NB between St John and the US border at St Stephen., along Route 1.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

My wife and I settled on Fundy Bay area New Brunswick. We are renting in St Andrews and will be buying near St George soon. This cost line is extremely busy during the summer months with holidaymakers from within Canada. Property prices are 50% higher than 30 miles inland. I recommend settling in NB between St John and the US border at St Stephen., along Route 1. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info and help, we will check it out. That is now about five different places to check out. It looks like it will have to be done over several trips (Good excuse to keep going back to Canada). I am sure we will not be disappointed with anywhere that has been suggested.

Thanks to everyone.

[QUOTE=steve of 5-0]
Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi

We are still weighing up where we would like to move to in Canada, but I would just like to hear a few pros and cons for various areas provinces etc to help us decide. Dependent upon what you say, may determine where we go on holiday this year, on our reconnaisance trip.

My wife and I settled on Fundy Bay area New Brunswick. We are renting in St Andrews and will be buying near St George soon. This cost line is extremely busy during the summer months with holidaymakers from within Canada. Property prices are 50% higher than 30 miles inland. I recommend settling in NB between St John and the US border at St Stephen., along Route 1.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:17 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Gray C
That is now about five different places to check out. It looks like it will have to be done over several trips
Book a chunk of time off ... rent yourself an RV and drive right across the country from coast to coast ... if I had to emigrate over again, that would be my choice ... there's too much of Canada I haven't seen yet

Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:47 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Book a chunk of time off ... rent yourself an RV and drive right across the country from coast to coast ... if I had to emigrate over again, that would be my choice ... there's too much of Canada I haven't seen yet

And with your new $90,000 + wages you'll be able to fly/drive to all of it now eh Glas.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I'm in England - and will be at least until August. After that I'm not sure -- my life will be at a crossroads but for now I'm in England and I'm soaking it up. I'm really missing Victoria at the moment -- can you please send me some Rogers Chocolates, Mount Royal bagels and the entire menu at Rebar please? .

Ah, those withdrawal pains are difficult aren't they - especially for the bagels. We're having beautiful crisp cold nights here, which make my early morning runs a delight and gorgeous sunshine all day. Jim and I were out yesterday pruning our apple trees.....

Best wishes to you.....keep in touch
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:14 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Grah
And with your new $90,000 + wages you'll be able to fly/drive to all of it now eh Glas.
And I'm looking forward to it

Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And I'm looking forward to it

Wait a minute here....what did I miss....you've got a new job?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:22 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Wait a minute here....what did I miss....you've got a new job?
I've been offered a new job ... my current employers has said they'll match the new offer ... right now I'm trying to decide between the devil I know and the devil I don't ....

Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I've been offered a new job ... my current employers has said they'll match the new offer ... right now I'm trying to decide between the devil I know and the devil I don't ....
Arent they prepared to exceed it to keep you?. Last time I was at an auction you had to bid more than the other guy to win!

Will they throw in an extra weeks holiday so you have the time as well as the money to go places?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What wonderful news.....not that opinion carries any weight.....but is the work involved in the new job more challenging? And personally, if I had a employer who had an issue with being an "accented person".....I'd make him eat my dust......but then I can be vindictive at times.....
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:39 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
Arent they prepared to exceed it to keep you?. Last time I was at an auction you had to bid more than the other guy to win!

Will they throw in an extra weeks holiday so you have the time as well as the money to go places?
I've dug the thumbscrews out of the basement ... I'm thinking along the same lines ... more vacatio time and more money so that we can afford to travel ... both would greatly improve our quality of life

One of the guys I worked with kept a pair of nipple clamps on his desk ... I never really asked him what he used them for.

Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand if they up there offer, you can always take that back to the new guys and see what happens. Im with Willmore on this, I'd love to tell them you are leaving not just for the money but cos of the biggoted asshole you have to put up with. Win Win
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:02 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Im with Willmore on this, I'd love to tell them you are leaving not just for the money but cos of the biggoted asshole you have to put up with. Win Win
Don't know about burning bridges though. Never know what the future holds. I would just tell the prick in your strongest fastest accent that you are leaving and if he can't understand then talk faster to him.

In fact on your last day I would make a point of making sure that he can't understand a word you say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.