Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Private Reg / Licence Plate

Private Reg / Licence Plate

Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:08 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Reg / Licence Plate

Originally Posted by Aviator
Can never understand paying for vanity plates. You get bugger all for it and most of the time nobody else understands or cares what it means.
What is amusing to me is that in provinces where the front plate is optional, the only people who seem to take the option are the cars with vanity plates.

I do see some use to them, especially since Alberta went to seven character registrations, which are harder to read. If you have a fleet vehicle you can identify them using a unique registration, a fair number of companies in Alberta do that.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:13 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aviator
Can never understand paying for vanity plates. You get bugger all for it and most of the time nobody else understands or cares what it means.
Bit like slag tags..never understood them either. Now when i think about it, BMW's, personal plates and slag tags tend to come in the same package.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Bit like slag tags..never understood them either. Now when i think about it, BMW's, personal plates and slag tags tend to come in the same package.
I've never understood them either. They're obviously there to attract blokes so why don't they put things blokes like, tractors, tanks, a picture of Megan Fox or for the more intellectually inclined, a Sudoku puzzle. Although on reflection if you're close enough to distinguish the design you're probably having a good time already.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone considered that the vanity plate might be easier to remember by the Police or youself should you get hit by a car that takes off or witness an accident.
What happens if you are a pedestrian and get whacked by a car maybe the plate impression left on your body shows up better than random letters and numbers?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Has anyone considered that the vanity plate might be easier to remember by the Police or youself should you get hit by a car that takes off or witness an accident.
What happens if you are a pedestrian and get whacked by a car maybe the plate impression left on your body shows up better than random letters and numbers?
It happened to someone I knew in London. Left the scene of an accident but was captured because of his easy to read number plate. Got six months I believe.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:28 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or by others if it is your car that has left the scene..not that you would.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand why people would want a private plate, but I can't understand why so many people are outraged by them.

Calling people a douche (vaginal irrigation device) in case no one knows, seems a bit harsh to me, especially when it's my wife you're talking about, so just watch yourself.

Far too many keyboard warriors on this forum hiding behind a username. Very sad.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find douche is just short for douchebag. An irritating americanism, hardly pleasant or warranted under the circumstances, but no worse than calling someone a cock or a dick or any of the other namecalling the private plate owners in the UK would expect to deal with..

besides, if you really have a problem with it, the appropriate thing to do is report the post to a mod, not escalate things in the thread.

Digits on vanity plates are year of issue and sequential release number at a guess ie.

36th square dancing plate of 2009

and, no, thats not my plate

Last edited by iaink; Apr 11th 2012 at 6:08 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:33 pm
Banned

Dave, not sure who has offended who, a number of people on here are on my ignore list, I hope I haven't offended you. It is all a bit tongue in cheek banter.fletch
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Not you Fletch, I know when folk are intentionally trying to wind folk up.

I've added 6 of them to my ignore list, but I never did respond to the insults on this thread.

The forum is a much nicer place to visit now that I don't need to read all the petty, nasty, Canada bashing, racist, condescending remarks I've seen recently.

And yes, I know I should report anything I think is abusive, but I think the mods have enough to do. Easier just to add them to the ignore list. Job done.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
And yes, I know I should report anything I think is abusive, but I think the mods have enough to do. Easier just to add them to the ignore list. Job done.
I didn't know you could put mods on ignore.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I didn't know you could put mods on ignore.
Shhhh, now everyone will know
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not bothered what people think of me, so i'll defo be getting a vanity/personal registration, since i just missed out on my perfect UK one at a recent auction, it'll make me feel better
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
I think you will find douche is just short for douchebag. An irritating americanism, hardly pleasant or warranted under the circumstances, but no worse than calling someone a cock or a dick or any of the other namecalling the private plate owners in the UK would expect to deal with..

besides, if you really have a problem with it, the appropriate thing to do is report the post to a mod, not escalate things in the thread.

Digits on vanity plates are year of issue and sequential release number at a guess ie.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/...3d2aa15651.jpg

36th square dancing plate of 2009

and, no, thats not my plate
Now, what is sadder, having the plate or taking photos of someone elses!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Now, what is sadder, having the plate or taking photos of someone elses!
Presumably anyone sad enough to buy one for themselves is easily sad enough to then take pics of it and upload them for the consumption of others on Flickr, facebook etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.