Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island

Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Prince Edward Island

Hi, was wondering if anyone on here could give me some first hand experience of Prince Edward Island. I have seen alot of old threads and information dating back to 2009/10 but wondered if anyone has moved there recently and if so what the island is like, ie, jobs, housing friendly, schooling, cost of living etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Edward Island

Originally Posted by Red1974
Hi, was wondering if anyone on here could give me some first hand experience of Prince Edward Island. I have seen alot of old threads and information dating back to 2009/10 but wondered if anyone has moved there recently and if so what the island is like, ie, jobs, housing friendly, schooling, cost of living etc.

Thanks in advance.
I love it - but can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea. Housing cheap. Jobs can be difficult subject to what your background and experience is. What fields are you looking in? No idea about schools, mine are two young.

Cost of living, generally I get the impression from discussion with others that it's the same to a little more expensive day to day, with the exception of housing.

Sorry for the vagueness - if you've got more specific questions I'll try and answer
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Cloverblue1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prince Edward Island

Hi there.
I'm new on here so please bare with me!
I moved to Charlottetown, PEI 3yrs ago and really enjoy life here.

Housing is pretty affordable here on the Island, compared to many other provinces. We rent downtown but have bought an ocean view plot of land and hopefully will build next year. Going on today's Kijiji you can find 3 bed roomed home for under $1200. If your after something more executive expect to pay up to $2000 but there is little stock ( from my experience).
Jobs can be tough to come by depending on your occupation etc, and from my experience, although people are very friendly here, by many you will always be
referred to as 'from away' . I have struggled to find work but my partner has a good job.
Schools, I cannot comment on as we don't have children.

Contrary to what a lot of people say, the Island does not shut down in Winter! Yes, Anne of Green Gables is closed! But downtown CTown is full of bars and restaurants and a couple of theaters, so there is always somewhere to go.
The winters can be challenging, but hey ho life goes on and you learn to adapt! Summers are beautiful. The town is buzzing with tourists, festivals and there are tons of beautiful beaches only a short drive away.
Shopping is pretty poor here and expensive, but there's always the Internet!
As FeralBob said, something's are cheaper others more expensive, feel free to ask more specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
We are happy here and have pretty much everything we need, hope that gives a little insight into( my perspective) of Island life.