Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy whilst waiting for PR

Pregnancy whilst waiting for PR

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:28 pm
Chiefy

Default Pregnancy whilst waiting for PR

We have been in the system 16 months and given my age, we need to start thinking seriously about children. Has anyone become pregnant whilst waiting to hear and what happens if they ask you to go for a medical and you are pregnant?

thanks for any help

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:32 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pregnancy whilst waiting for PR

Originally Posted by Chiefy
Has anyone become pregnant whilst waiting to hear
A fair few have become parents and then grandparents while waiting to hear.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:52 pm
Chiefy

Originally Posted by Souvenir
A fair few have become parents and then grandparents while waiting to hear.
Can anyone give a constructive answer?

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:00 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
Try Steve&Karen on a calgary based site it happened to them
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:02 pm
Chiefy

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
LOL
Try Steve&Karen on a calgary based site it happened to them
thanks - could you give me more details?

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't see it being a huge problem, although I haven't seen it discussed on here. The medical is essentially to see if you are likely to become a major drain on the healthcare system. If you are pregnant when you go for the medical, I imagine that they will just want to see the results of any tests/scans you have had done.

Mind you, you'd have to be a bit of a glutton for punishment to emigrate with a newborn baby.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:08 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

You have to wait until after the baby is born to complete the paperwork process, unless you have already done all the medical bit and are leaving before the baby is born. This is mainly due to the chest X ray requirement your OH can't have while pregnant. If you wait, then you have to go through the process of adding the baby to your application. Can delay things, and remember some provinces will not cover you for medical for three months when you first land. Having a baby with no coverage will cost you a fair bit.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
You have to wait until after the baby is born to complete the paperwork process, unless you have already done all the medical bit and are leaving before the baby is born. This is mainly due to the chest X ray requirement your OH can't have while pregnant. If you wait, then you have to go through the process of adding the baby to your application. Can delay things, and remember some provinces will not cover you for medical for three months when you first land. Having a baby with no coverage will cost you a fair bit.
And to add to this, having a baby between visa grant and 'landing' in Canada is generally not acceptable.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:24 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Paperwork does not equal medical so its only the medical you cant have and even CHC will give you leeway if you find yourself pregnant.

I always thought people landing in provinces where you wait three months for provincial medical cover had the common sense to take out private short term insurance, then again if you are that worried about medical care for a newborn why not just land and then return to UK. Personally I'd rather be in canada with canadian medical care than spend a day longer under NHS care.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
And to add to this, having a baby between visa grant and 'landing' in Canada is generally not acceptable.

Jeremy
Why not??
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why not??

Because changes in family circumstances between visa grant and 'landing' are not allowed, that's why not.

Ask on the immigration forum if you want to know more.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:38 am
JAJ
Retired

Paperwork does not equal medical so its only the medical you cant have and even CHC will give you leeway if you find yourself pregnant.
Pregnant women can't normally do x-rays. This is the delay in the process. CIC will give "leeway" - they'll put the application 'on-hold' until the baby arrives and the whole family can do medicals then.

I always thought people landing in provinces where you wait three months for provincial medical cover had the common sense to take out private short term insurance, then again if you are that worried about medical care for a newborn why not just land and then return to UK.
Because then the baby won't be a Canadian citizen, and there is no such thing as "permanent residence by descent".

This child would need to be sponsored for a migration visa to Canada (within the family class) however in order for PRs to sponsor a child, one parent must be *living* in Canada. In other words, it's not a good idea for PRs to have children born outside Canada.

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:41 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I am sure this was covered really recently, but I cannot find the thread

If you do fall pregnant before your medical I believe your medical will be delayed until after the birth of the baby as you are required to do a chest X-ray.

But I just now wondered if instead of an x-ray you could be given a chest ultrasound instead?

But, if you delay your medical you can then add baby to the application form and have your medicals done after the birth. You have to land within a year of your medicals.

Alternatively, if you get pregnant after the medicals but before landing - get some decent medical insurance if landing in provinces like BC (where you are not covered for the first 3 months).

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Clare
(Mum to two, one Brit born and one Canuck )
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:48 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

this might be ?useful?

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....n.canada?hl=en

I had a look and searched up "pregnancy" and it seemed to have two main camps - the ones that went with an x-ray and the ones that didn't!

Clare
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:16 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd rather be in canada with canadian medical care than spend a day longer under NHS care.
You are obviously not living here yet then. Medical system here in BC at least is no better, with the exception of the availability of walk-in clinics. Many people cannot get doctors, wait lists are long and ER's are drowning in many areas. At the moment, you cannot "go private". In my experience, the NHS compares well if not better in some areas of treatment. Balanced perspectives take time, but I wouldn't knock the UK NHS until you have, for example, watched your child have a seizure due to a five hour wait in the ER and an arrogant nurses' incompetent triage. That was my experience last week and I have many more tales of medical treatment woe. My father is currently dying of gastric cancer - they told him it was a stomach ulcer for two years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.