Reload this Page >

Pre move blues?

Pre move blues?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

mr2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre move blues?

Hi,

I received my temporary work permit a couple of weeks ago and now I'm all booked up to leave for Canada in a couple of weeks. I'm in my early 20s and looking forward to an exciting time, but recently I've been feeling a bit down about the move.

Has anyone experienced this? I'll be moving away on my own, so it's going to be a pretty big change. I'm really finding it hard to focus at the moment on what to pack and arrange before I go.

Anyone got any tips for battling the pre-move blues?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:20 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pre move blues?

Originally Posted by mr2k
Hi,

I received my temporary work permit a couple of weeks ago and now I'm all booked up to leave for Canada in a couple of weeks. I'm in my early 20s and looking forward to an exciting time, but recently I've been feeling a bit down about the move.

Has anyone experienced this? I'll be moving away on my own, so it's going to be a pretty big change. I'm really finding it hard to focus at the moment on what to pack and arrange before I go.

Anyone got any tips for battling the pre-move blues?

Thanks!
don't worry about the packing ; some people have come over here with nothing other than a snooker cue, a ball of wool and some hob nobs, and still made it
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Cheers. I'm planning on travelling light. Not bothering to get anything shipped over (yet, anyway). If it doesn't fit in a couple of suitcases, it's not coming...
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:33 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

St John's, NL
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:42 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

St John's, NL
Oooh. What will you be doing there?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Working as a creative for a small company. Which somehow reminds me, I need to look up about Health Insurance...have no idea what to do there - since they system is a bit different to the UK
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:04 pm

Working as a creative for a small company. Which somehow reminds me, I need to look up about Health Insurance...have no idea what to do there - since they system is a bit different to the UK
Have a look here - http://www.health.gov.nl.ca/mcp/
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:09 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem. In Newfoundland, as soon as you arrive with your TWP, you are entitled to medical care. You go and get a temporary SIN from the building down by Quidi Vidi Lake. From there, take your letter with your temporary number and go to the health building - can't remember where it is exactly, but it's down from The Rooms, which is the provincial museum. Fill in a form, and then you get an MCP card which covers you straight away for healthcare in Newfoundland. They will also give you a number to call to find out which doctors are accepting patients - there are usually a few accepting.

There are a few of us here in Newfoundland, so feel free to ask any questions.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

I've felt like that when I've moved to different areas in the UK - even when I've hated the shithole I was leaving behind. I think it's because it feels like you're leaving part of yourself and your life there.

But you're moving on your own, to another country - it's bound to feel daunting. I think you're just got to remember that no change is permanent and if you don't like it, it's easily reversible.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
I've felt like that when I've moved to different areas in the UK - even when I've hated the shithole I was leaving behind. I think it's because it feels like you're leaving part of yourself and your life there.

But you're moving on your own, to another country - it's bound to feel daunting. I think you're just got to remember that no change is permanent and if you don't like it, it's easily reversible.

Good luck with your move.
Thanks for all the kind words guys!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Roofie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm moving to St John's too! I'm currently waiting for my work permit from the Canadian embassy which really sucks.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Roofie
Hi, I'm moving to St John's too! I'm currently waiting for my work permit from the Canadian embassy which really sucks.
Mine took around a month to come back from the embassy. I submitted it in early December, and a couple of weeks later they asked for a Police Certificate - which takes around 10 days. I submitted that just before Xmas and received my work permit on the 10th January.

Hope you hear soon. What line of work will you be doing?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Roofie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine took around a month to come back from the embassy. I submitted it in early December, and a couple of weeks later they asked for a Police Certificate - which takes around 10 days. I submitted that just before Xmas and received my work permit on the 10th January.

Hope you hear soon. What line of work will you be doing?
I submitted mine at the end of December, but it got sent back to me the other week because I 'didn't include a photocopy of my passport'. I'd sent them my actual passport, which they didn't send back! I had to e-mail them, then go up there and get my passport, photocopy it and resubmit the whole thing. Hopefully it'll be done with soon.

I'll be working for a video games company, I'm really looking forward to it!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Just sent you a PM!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.