Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pre interview questions ettiquette

Pre interview questions ettiquette

Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice
Default Pre interview questions ettiquette

Hi

Im just hoping for a bit of advice. I applied for a job and I was informed yesterday that Ive got a telephone interview next week and if successful then I would have to go to Canada for a face to face interview.

The lady who phoned me gave me the managers/interviewers direct line and said that if I had any questions I could phone him (She wanted to put me through there and then but I had no questions prepared)

What I would really like to know about is the interview process, anticipated start date etc. I did ask her but she was in Admin and wasnt really sure and said start date probably in about a month once checks etc are done but I know someone who works there and it took a good few months for him from interview to start date.

Anyway is it be acceptable to phone before an interview and ask about the interview process etc or is it best left until the phone interview?? If I was already in Canada I wouldnt be bothered but I would just like an idea of timeframes etc so I can begin to sort out things here in the UK.

Ive already spoken to him before on a recce so Im not phoning blind so to speak lol.

Hope this makes sense to somebody
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre interview questions ettiquette

Originally Posted by rockspie
Hi

Im just hoping for a bit of advice. I applied for a job and I was informed yesterday that Ive got a telephone interview next week and if successful then I would have to go to Canada for a face to face interview.

The lady who phoned me gave me the managers/interviewers direct line and said that if I had any questions I could phone him (She wanted to put me through there and then but I had no questions prepared)

What I would really like to know about is the interview process, anticipated start date etc. I did ask her but she was in Admin and wasnt really sure and said start date probably in about a month once checks etc are done but I know someone who works there and it took a good few months for him from interview to start date.

Anyway is it be acceptable to phone before an interview and ask about the interview process etc or is it best left until the phone interview?? If I was already in Canada I wouldnt be bothered but I would just like an idea of timeframes etc so I can begin to sort out things here in the UK.

Ive already spoken to him before on a recce so Im not phoning blind so to speak lol.

Hope this makes sense to somebody
You've already met the hiring manager, yet you have to have a telephone interview, and then if successful, go for a face-to-face interview?? Unless you've applied for the most important job in Canada, it seems over the top to me, and not the sort of company where decisions are made quickly.

Anyway, if I were you I'd send the manager an email, remind him about the phone interview, and ask him for some guidance on the company's interview/hiring process, and how you can best prepare for it. For additional Canadian bonus points, refer to it as the "onboarding" process.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

rockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nicerockspie is just really nice

Thats why Im confused, She said it would be "a telephone interview then if thats successful, obviously then you would have to come over to meet in person"

Its for a goverment job so im assuming that they have to do it "properly" and I would have to have background checks, police checks etc.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Get a good night's sleep before the interview, that way you'll be refreshed and raring to go.