Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Practical things you wish you had sorted before leaving!?

Practical things you wish you had sorted before leaving!?

Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:47 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Practical things you wish you had sorted before leaving!?

Hi

Am starting to work my way through list of things to do, which seems to get longer rather than shorter

Just after your thoughts as to things that you may have left till you arrived in Canada that you wish you had sorted before leaving the UK

In the same token are there things you spent time worrying about/sorting out that could have been left and your time spent elsewhere

Its certainly a challenge, both of us working, 2 small children and emigrating in about 16 weeks

Can anyone offer any advice on info such as pensions, tax and stuff here in the UK, ie informing people,

Many Thanks, all thoughts gratefully received

ND going round in circles trying to secure rental
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:51 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practical things you wish you had sorted before leaving!?

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

Am starting to work my way through list of things to do, which seems to get longer rather than shorter

Just after your thoughts as to things that you may have left till you arrived in Canada that you wish you had sorted before leaving the UK

In the same token are there things you spent time worrying about/sorting out that could have been left and your time spent elsewhere

Its certainly a challenge, both of us working, 2 small children and emigrating in about 16 weeks

Can anyone offer any advice on info such as pensions, tax and stuff here in the UK, ie informing people,

Many Thanks, all thoughts gratefully received

ND going round in circles trying to secure rental

I still have to fill out my Social Security Abroad Form NI38

Somethings we didn't manage to sort out before we left the UK but have been sorted now.

Don't get stressed over it, that's my main piece of advice for you.

If it doesn't get sorted before you leave you can deal with it here it will just take longer that's all.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:57 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nikki,
I worked through the Wiki departure list.

(Sure you have it already, but just in case...)
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depart...K_to_Canada%29

Getting alternative numbers to 0800 is a really good one.

Things I wish I had done, cannot really think of much, wish I had been to Boots and stocked up on medicines.

To be honest if you forget to do something there is not the issue that there would have been 40 years ago. Most things can be sorted via, phone or email.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:06 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Charlie and Cassie,

as you say things can be sorted over there if need be, just need to make some priorities I think, although had thought about getting a good stock of medicines

Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:08 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Charlie and Cassie,

as you say things can be sorted over there if need be, just need to make some priorities I think, although had thought about getting a good stock of medicines

Cheers
Don't take too many, they might think your a druggy.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:10 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
As far as I am aware you have no need to stock up on anything. You can get what you might need just about anywhere. If it's simply a british brand name issue I' sure that you can find an equivalent.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Nikki I stress through the stratosphere for things like waiting for med results etc and do things I send arrive at CHC in london etc

however actual practicality of getting here did not concern me a bit I didnt sort out a single thing before arrival

didnt cancel anything or plan anything at all, all can be done by phone and net cant think of a sinlge thing that cant be sorted from over here

so my advice enjoy the countdown I admire your patience for waiting so long from getting your visas to landing I could not possibly wait I would have been on the plane the same night

the only one thing that was carefully planned was our doggys journey and paperwork as they are the most important things in our lives

we didnt bring any doucments with us we just left everything in my parents home in the uk and sent for stuff if/when needed.

good luck
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
As far as I am aware you have no need to stock up on anything. You can get what you might need just about anywhere. If it's simply a british brand name issue I' sure that you can find an equivalent.
Hi , wont be too much, just some of the kids stuff that I tend to keep in the cupboard,as you say sure its easily accessible in chemists over there, problem will be in prescription stuff

Originally Posted by chumley
Nikki I stress through the stratosphere for things like waiting for med results etc and do things I send arrive at CHC in london etc

however actual practicality of getting here did not concern me a bit I didnt sort out a single thing before arrival

didnt cancel anything or plan anything at all, all can be done by phone and net cant think of a sinlge thing that cant be sorted from over here

so my advice enjoy the countdown I admire your patience for waiting so long from getting your visas to landing I could not possibly wait I would have been on the plane the same night

the only one thing that was carefully planned was our doggys journey and paperwork as they are the most important things in our lives

we didnt bring any doucments with us we just left everything in my parents home in the uk and sent for stuff if/when needed.

good luck
Thanks Chumley, will take a bit of a leaf from your book and try not to stress too much about smaller things although still couldnt just get on the plane

thanks everyone

re pensions stuff, in laymans terms, other than informing pension people that we are no longer in UK and we wish to "park" our pensions for the time being, is there anything we need to consider at the current time, we are far off retirement age if this makes a difference, unfortunately!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi , wont be too much, just some of the kids stuff that I tend to keep in the cupboard,as you say sure its easily accessible in chemists over there, problem will be in prescription stuff
Brings tons of Calpol, or whatever your kids are used to using, 'cos it sure takes some time to get used to Bubblegum, Grape or Cherry flavours here. Also stock up on a couple of packets of Cymalon or Cystemme if you suffer from cysititis as that needs a GP visit and prescription here.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: Practical things you wish you had sorted before leaving!?

Hmmm Practical things to do! some obvious some not so

1. Get a letter from your car insurer stating driving history and claims record. Proof of NCD is not always sufficient. (best stamp I ever bought) Example on BE just search.

2. Pay 2 quid and get copy of exquifax credit report.
3. get letter of introduction from your UK bank. (Free at Lloyds)
4. Depends on job but get more copies of your police checks.
5. Extend credit limit on UK credit card, better still take out Nationwide CC, as no fees for overseas transactions, for emergencies.
6. Keep open UK bank and deposit couple of grand to reduce complications with money transfers.
7. Pack some aerosol deodorant and gravy granules with household effects hard to get in Canada.

the list is endless thought of these faster than I could type!!!! Don't worry if you forget things that is half the fun of moving to the other side of the world.....
Hope all goes well Winston

PS OH says buy your Bras before you come Canadian ones are rubbish. Brassimo deliver to Canada which is a god send apparently!!!!

Last edited by Winston Green; Feb 26th 2009 at 11:27 pm. Reason: another thought!!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Brings tons of Calpol, or whatever your kids are used to using, 'cos it sure takes some time to get used to Bubblegum, Grape or Cherry flavours here.
Agree with that.

Oh, and maybe get used to drinking crap tea too, so you wont be disappointed when you arrive
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:04 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

For those horrible numbers that start with 0870 and the like, here's a good website for the "local" alternative number:
http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Regarding the Nationwide credit card, it was in the news this week that they are going to start a currency conversion fee for foreign transactions soon, so read the small print:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...dit-card-rates

Other than that, try and sort out all the utilities and stuff before you go as its a pain in the backside trying to phone them when you get over here with the time difference and stuff.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:23 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Hmmm Practical things to do! some obvious some not so

1. Get a letter from your car insurer stating driving history and claims record. Proof of NCD is not always sufficient. (best stamp I ever bought) Example on BE just search.

2. Pay 2 quid and get copy of exquifax credit report.
3. get letter of introduction from your UK bank. (Free at Lloyds)
4. Depends on job but get more copies of your police checks.
5. Extend credit limit on UK credit card, better still take out Nationwide CC, as no fees for overseas transactions, for emergencies.
6. Keep open UK bank and deposit couple of grand to reduce complications with money transfers.
7. Pack some aerosol deodorant and gravy granules with household effects hard to get in Canada.

the list is endless thought of these faster than I could type!!!! Don't worry if you forget things that is half the fun of moving to the other side of the world.....
Hope all goes well Winston

PS OH says buy your Bras before you come Canadian ones are rubbish. Brassimo deliver to Canada which is a god send apparently!!!!
Indeed - what is it about aerosal deodorant here - or lack of??
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:51 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Indeed - what is it about aerosal deodorant here - or lack of??
I always wondered if there is a certain ingredient in aerosol deodorant that is banned in Canada but not in the UK.

(Sits back and waits for the conspiracy theorists to come along)
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

We found that we ran out of time packing up our house, and some of it is still stored in rellie's houses, which is a pain. It means we will have to go back to sort it out

My advice would be try to give yourself a couple of days at the end with nothing much to do, so you have time to finish up!!

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.