Reload this Page >

PR processing times query - please help

PR processing times query - please help

Old May 10th 2010, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Headingforhalifax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR processing times query - please help

Hi all.
I've spent some time this AM on the forum - and THINK I know the answer to our query, so I'm really just posting this to be sure.
My Canadian wife is sponsoring me for Permanent Residency. We're currently living in London, England - so the London high commission is processing our application.
They have begun processing it and, according to ECAES, have received my medical.
From looking at threads on this today, I except this to take no longer than eight months from when they started processing - and that as a UK citizen I can enter Canada on a non-working visitor.
Sorry for asking a question someone else has already answers - just that all the other posters seem to have different circumstances to my own. We're about to list our flat, resign from our jobs, etc - and want to do some rough planning. Also, the CIC site is currently listing at least 18 months for extra-Canada applications for PR.
Also, is there anything else I ought to do before we leave, please? For example, what's the story with OHIP? Don't want to getcaught out.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Scott Neilson

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 10th 2010 at 11:02 am. Reason: Phone no. removed - not a good idea to put it on a public forum!
Old May 10th 2010, 11:02 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR processing times query - please help

Originally Posted by Headingforhalifax
Hi all.
I've spent some time this AM on the forum - and THINK I know the answer to our query, so I'm really just posting this to be sure.
My Canadian wife is sponsoring me for Permanent Residency. We're currently living in London, England - so the London high commission is processing our application.
They have begun processing it and, according to ECAES, have received my medical.
From looking at threads on this today, I except this to take no longer than eight months from when they started processing - and that as a UK citizen I can enter Canada on a non-working visitor.
Sorry for asking a question someone else has already answers - just that all the other posters seem to have different circumstances to my own. We're about to list our flat, resign from our jobs, etc - and want to do some rough planning. Also, the CIC site is currently listing at least 18 months for extra-Canada applications for PR.
Also, is there anything else I ought to do before we leave, please? For example, what's the story with OHIP? Don't want to getcaught out.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Scott Neilson
Same boat as you last year and the application took 3 months from posting the application to receiving the visa in my passport.

OHIP? I'm off to BC so no idea.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 10th 2010 at 11:14 am. Reason: phone no. removed from quoted post
Old May 10th 2010, 11:57 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Same boat as you last year and the application took 3 months from posting the application to receiving the visa in my passport.

OHIP? I'm off to BC so no idea.
OHIP is Ontario's provincial healthcare, there is normally a three month waiting period, so you would need other insurance to cover you for the first three months. There are some companies listed in the first Wiki article, in the second one look at the arrival to do list for Canada, might help you to get your head around the things to be done.

Read this Wiki article as well, and this one.

Plenty of information there too keep you going....

Last edited by Clematis; May 10th 2010 at 12:04 pm.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Headingforhalifax is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both. Extremely helpful.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Hi Scott....if you look at my time-line below for my spousal sponsorship, you will see that it was also completed in a total of 3 months.

I, too, am off to BC so can't help with the OHIP either!!

Steveh
Old May 10th 2010, 1:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming from your name that your probably moving to NS. OHIP won't be of much use to you here...You need the Nova Scotia Health Card (MSI) http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/msi/
Old May 11th 2010, 2:17 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I am assuming from your name that your probably moving to NS. OHIP won't be of much use to you here...You need the Nova Scotia Health Card (MSI) http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/msi/
PMSL, I never even noticed the OP name, so yes your probably right OHIP will not be any use.