PR Approval

Old Jun 29th 2022, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Approval

Hey, I haven't posted in a while. We are now 18 months into living here and we still love it. We just received approval via email for our PR which is super exciting, they asked us to submit photographs and our current address and then they forward out our PR cards, im just not sure where we go from here, do I apply for a new SIN? can I do it with the approval letter or do I wait for the card? Do I let the bank and schools know that we now have PR?
Thanks again for everyones help, we genuinely wouldn't be here today without you all
Old Jul 7th 2022, 6:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Approval

Originally Posted by Fwilkin
Hey, I haven't posted in a while. We are now 18 months into living here and we still love it. We just received approval via email for our PR which is super exciting, they asked us to submit photographs and our current address and then they forward out our PR cards, im just not sure where we go from here, do I apply for a new SIN? can I do it with the approval letter or do I wait for the card? Do I let the bank and schools know that we now have PR?
Thanks again for everyones help, we genuinely wouldn't be here today without you all
Congratulations.

A weight of your mind.

I'm not sure what is on your approval email?

When I arrived in Canada I was given a document at the border that I was able to use until my PR card arrived. When I went for the SIN number the government worker was confused that I needed another one.

My advice is contact the school, the bank and Service Canada independently to see what it is they require.

The most important thing I would guess would be activating your Ontario Health card as soon as possible!
Old Jul 18th 2022, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

shaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fwilkin
You can do it with the approval letter. There's two versions - one with an officers signature and one without - you need to take the one with the officers signature (and sign it yourself too) to a ServiceCanada office and they'll give you the SIN there and then

Not sure about the schools, but the banks should let you update the SIN on file - which is important come tax time. Though, your old/new SIN are linked - its probably less of a headache just to have everything go through your new SIN from this point onwards.

Last edited by shaunc89; Jul 18th 2022 at 3:04 pm. Reason: Adding information
Old Jul 23rd 2022, 5:45 am
Just Joined

mrbanks is an unknown quantity at this point

If your old SIN begins with a 9 you definitely need to update it.

In that case you'll probably also need to create a new CRA web account, assuming you have one, which they don't make very obvious.

Inform everyone who had the old number of your new one: banks, credit cards, car/home loans, employers, etc.