Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Power Engineer classes

Power Engineer classes

Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: Power Engineer classes

Scotty, I take it that you still have no joy ?

JET
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

mutchg1 is an unknown quantity at this point

got my results passed the 5th class so im chuffed.

Total hired me as an operator on a TWP and contracted me to a BP plant near Caroline AB.
THE Boss is British so he had been through the same process and said when i got my PR he would look into hiring me with BP full time. I got my PR in April but there was a hiring freeze on so i got the offer last month and start on the 16th.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Congratulations on passing.

I was looking at the link you sent for the PE quizzes. In the PE exams I am assuming you are allowed to take the formulae and steam tables in with you ? are you also allowed a calculator ?

I think if you look for a position and you manage to find a boss who is from the UK then he / she would understand better the qualifications and level that you have attained.

I guess you started without any steam ticket as such. Scotty was saying that he found it so hard for anyone to consider taking him on without pE ticket. What are your experiences ? are there many British expats with you ?

JET
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Congrats on the 5th class.

Jet still no joy got an interview in London next week for BP working Singapore this is a 2nd interview so fingers crossed. Had know look in BC as yet. spoke to Swift regarding a position contracting for shell $85 an hour but this one mon -fri fort mac so no good for me!

My plan now is continue working for bp in Uk till sort of Singapore work 28/28 for 3-4 years.

During this time get 4th/3rd class than secure something after that period.
I have been studying the 4th class for a few months now fairly easy stuff.
steam tables and formulas given in the exam.

With the HNC I d say it was similar level to 3rd/2nd class.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Can you work out using calculator also ?

Tables are good, Engineers use reference books all time, even computer systems these days such as Aspen for design.

JET
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Yeh you can use a non sientific calc, you can bring in steam and refridge tables and you get a formula book when you pay for the course.

Also for all the tickects you have to have had time working on the size of boilers you are taking the test for ie 5th max 500KW, 3rd 5000KW, I informed them that i had looked after boilers over 5000KW but it seamed to fall on deaf ears with ABSA they seem to be only intrested in making money out of ppl. In the end i gave up and had to do the SAIT 5th class course.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am looking forward to doing more education, albiet some may be repeated. But I say the more you learn, the more you find out, how little you know !!

However. Being a Supervisor in the Oil, Chemical Gas and Utility sector I am on the list of 38. Therefore this is why I am on the brink of being a PR on the new scheme.

However, Canada says that they want us, but you then find that to do your job there you need to be around the 2nd class Power Engineer. That will take time to get there, and in a way you have to start as an Operator again - as long has it pays 60k+ then so be it. However, what the worst thing about it for me is that, like some of yourselves you have qualifications that are similar to the higher standards and they don't seem to assess and credit you with the equivalent.

No disrespect meant, but this is the UK where the Engineering and Operating standards I would say are on a par - especially with the Big Companies. Therefore the Canadian Govt. should be doing more to help. All it takes is to say that these topics are what is relevant here and not there please do these - the other subjects we give you credit for.

I am going to just ask the question of an Alberta minister to see what answer i get - - although I won;t hold my breath. I will let you know what I come back with.

Take care for now

JET
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

I find the Canada Oil and Gas industry is about 10 years behind in alot of things, There lock out tag out system, there perimts are still paper based.
they have a can do attitude and thats why there are so many incidents over here.

oh by the way im getting a 0.26 cent raise per hour as i now have my 5th class

what will i spend it all on
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

what are the salaries for working for bp in Canada as a operator/opwer engineer if you dont mind me asking? I working for bp in the uk as a Tech intersting to see how they compare! I ve seen a few positions coming through on the noel project in BC so that might be a future option for myself.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I looked last night on the Alberta website and it says that they are trying to more to recognise foreign worker qualifications and experience. They recognise people are coming in and can only get lower positions compared to what they have been doing.

Therefore I have written an email to Minister for Immigration and Employment, Mr Hector Goudreau. I wrote to him in 2008 and had a good response from him. This time I have asked him how far down the road they are from recognising people from established countries such as the UK.

I mentioned what the point of having a person on the list of 38, to find that there is a lot of red tape and no real means of comparing standards of education, experience and training. As you said, you operated a power station for 2 years. If they are set back 10 years, then surely special recognition should be given and utilise the immigrants to move things forward working in the teams.

On one hand Canada say we are short, you are on the list and come in , then you find that why they want you to come and practise you can't !!

I don't expect much really to come back, however, there is nothing to lose asking the questions of the people at the top. I will let you know what he says.

JET

Last edited by JET747; Dec 11th 2009 at 10:41 am.