Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:40 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poverty, UK Vs Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics,

According to nationmaster, 17% of the UK pop is below the "poverty line"
12% of the US
(Data from the CIA world factbook)
Canadas not listed, but a google search found this which says in 1999 16.2% of canadians lived under the poverty line.

Stats Canada has those on "low incomes" pegged at about 16% in recent years.

So pretty much the same as the UK.

Sorry to interupt all the speculation with some facts. I'll fetch my hat.
Is the definition of "poverty line" consistent? Some numbers I have seen suggest that a Canadian familiy of four living in a city of 500,000+ people would be regarded as living below the poverty line if the gross household income was less than $35,455. I doubt if much tax would be payable on that. More likely there would be credits. There would be in Quebec, for sure. I don't know what the figures would be for the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
What's the point of this thread ?
For Seacreature to vent?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:50 am

Beats working.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:50 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Is the definition of "poverty line" consistent? Some numbers I have seen suggest that a Canadian familiy of four living in a city of 500,000+ people would be regarded as living below the poverty line if the gross household income was less than $35,455. I doubt if much tax would be payable on that. More likely there would be credits. There would be in Quebec, for sure. I don't know what the figures would be for the UK.

I think the definition of poverty is simple.
Those that can afford to buy Marmite and those that can't
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I think the definition of poverty is simple.
Those that can afford to buy Marmite and those that can't
Buy it? Heavens, I have mine flown in from the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Poverty is measured here as below 60 per cent of contemporary median net disposable income
So if Canadians earnt twice as much as British people, but then a lot of multi-billionaires moved to Canada or all the rich people left Britain, Canadians would suddenly be poorer than we are in the UK?

As I expected, it's a worthless definition.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:14 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
So if Canadians earnt twice as much as British people, but then a lot of multi-billionaires moved to Canada or all the rich people left Britain, Canadians would suddenly be poorer than we are in the UK?

As I expected, it's a worthless definition.
I thought it a better definition than the others. Average wages rise with the cost of living, and if you are earning less than 60 percent of what most people are earning (Its median , not mean, so a hell of a lot of people would have to leave to affect the numbers) then you will strugle to pay the bills.

At least its not an arbitrary dollar figure generated by some beurocrat.

The problem with stats is that people dont understand them.

Generally when comparing western nations the stats are generated in similar ways, but as the CIA point out, an Americans idea of what poverty is is substantially different to a west africans, and the stats reflect that.

Anyway, the overall point was that the UK and Canada are broadly similar.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:22 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think to point out some simple clear observations..

And I agree with the initial observation.

That the bottom rung of the ladder in Canada is a lot further down than in the UK..

My own simplified observations are as follows

If you’re unemployed or v.low income in Canada you’ll be much worse off than in the UK

If you’re middle income in Canada you’ll be better off than in the UK

If you’re a higher income earner in Canada, you’ll feel the taxes more, and likely be marginally worse off than if you were in the UK
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

That the bottom rung of the ladder in Canada is a lot further down than in the UK..

If you’re unemployed or v.low income in Canada you’ll be much worse off than in the UK

If you’re a higher income earner in Canada, you’ll feel the taxes more, and likely be marginally worse off than if you were in the UK
So what is middle income for Canada ...if there is such a thing as areas are so vastly different ?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:44 am

So what is middle income for Canada ...if there is such a thing as areas are so vastly different ?
Hard to say. In Gatineau, the average household income for a "middle class" couple, both working, with 2 kids is reported to be 80k. Ours is aboot double that. I don't feel terribly rich.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Stats Canada community profiles might be what you are looking for.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:39 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Some management consultant types have produced a report comparing North American places to live. I have no idea how old/accurate this report actually is (document dated 2004 and it was produced for Alberta Economic Development??) but somebody might find it an interesting read. To access the pdf:

go to www.google.ca
select pages from Canada radio button
enter alberta + bc + comparison + living standards into the search box
press search button
the third item should be a pdf entitled A Comparison of Personal Taxes and Cost of Living in Alberta ...
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

The bottom line is do YOU want to work your gutts out to supply....

example coming of recent story fed to me by wife of the following just for social justice, equality and fairness for all.

Shells out 14 kids. Got a £4,000 suite sitting the lounge of a 6 bedroom mansion (sounds like) with a £3,000+ Plasma TV and all the extras you could ever dream about all paid for by the state - never worked a day in her life. If I had a pussy I might just let everyone have a go to attain such luxuries!

If just one day she had to wait in line for bread she just might think about closing her legs for once!

Now I will be banned!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by seacreature
After reading the thread about poverty in Canada, I thought it would be interesting to hear other people's opinions about the subject.
Personally I think rates of poverty are worse in Canada and frankly, I don't think there's any doubt that people here have further to fall.

Low paid workers in Britain I'm sure are much better off than low paid workers in Canada. I worked for Top Man whilst at university and earned about 3.50 an hour at the time (we're going back a few years). Still, my wages went very far and I could always afford to go pubbing and splash out on new clothes. In Canada however the minimum wage doesn't seem to be survivable, not by a long shot. No doubt this is why so many people here rely on food banks and the like? Something which is unheard of in Britain.

To me, Canada actually seems like quite a poor country. The railways are rickety and underfunded, the highways are potholed and badly maintained and some of the schools in Toronto at least seem to be in terrible shape. Just how accurate are those surveys which rate Canada so highly? Britain seems much wealthier to me.
i don't know how many decades it was since you were at university, but it's not any way like that hear now, a pint will cost you about £3 petrol will cost you £1 a litre, to fill our little fiesta that's about £40 a week. we live in a two bed rented house and that's £500 a mth no other bills included, council tax £100 a mth. part time child care £400 a mth, where ever you live in england it's so expensive. you suggested in the other thread move to Leeds or Birmingham they are just as expensiven as London these day's as they are up and coming cities in fact leeds is very trendy. and there's also the issue of no work up north for us blue collar joes
sorry but they don't call it rip off Britain for nothing you know
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

I think it all depends on how you messure riches!
If you value self esteem in the working force and challenges for the future.
or if it is in monetory value!
I am struggling to survive here in canada. I am on an extremly low wage and barely getting by from pay check to paycheck but i have my self esteem with me! Knowing i am working hard for a future.
I could go back to the UK and possibly get income support or some benifit whilst i sit at home and rot away. As many have said that it is easy back there to become reliant upon the system. Often better off than working. Sad but true!
Young girls getting pregnant to get a house and money!
here you can get some help but basicly it is a case of 'do it yourself or else'!
life is about choice!
Why do these people continue to have more children? Becuase if they do then they get more benifit, therefor somehow they believe they will be better off. Nieve but true.
There are 'pros and cons' on both sides of the water. Here in canada if you fall, you fall hard. But if you make it, you can make it big.
In the UK if you fall there is a good safty network to help you but this often fails becuase people become dependant.
The UK is changing all the time and before long, these countries will not be so dis-similar. Privatisation, NHS, Pensions etc
becoming very americanised!

the only frustration that i know i here many people stating is that of the education standards. We should have a world wide educational standards system. So nobody has to face this bull wherever they go. I know this is an issue for Seacreature too.
we have come along way in the world with communication and standards but unfortunatly this is one yet to be sorted.
this is my own opinion and i cannot speak for others.
what will be-will be!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.