Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential Offer - Relocation from Perth, WA to Calgary !

Potential Offer - Relocation from Perth, WA to Calgary !

Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Arrow Potential Offer - Relocation from Perth, WA to Calgary !

I have been asked to interview for a position in Calgary and am trying to assess the benefits etc.

We are currently based in Perth, Australia and earn a good wage.

Looking at numbeo.com, the cost of living in Calgary is about 30% cheaper than Perth.

This said, obviously our income will reduce however, I have been told that the position would be paying $150k + bonuses + superannuation.

Is this package sufficient for a family of five to live on ?

If anyone has done the move from Australia to Canada, I would be interested to hear of your experiences.

Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all
Default Re: Potential Offer - Relocation from Perth, WA to Calgary !

Originally Posted by colonel
I have been asked to interview for a position in Calgary and am trying to assess the benefits etc.

We are currently based in Perth, Australia and earn a good wage.

Looking at numbeo.com, the cost of living in Calgary is about 30% cheaper than Perth.

This said, obviously our income will reduce however, I have been told that the position would be paying $150k + bonuses + superannuation.

Is this package sufficient for a family of five to live on ?

If anyone has done the move from Australia to Canada, I would be interested to hear of your experiences.

Thanks
Hi

We are in Perth and moving to Calgary in about 7 weeks, I've lived in Canada before and I would guess that $150k will get you through fine.

Good luck with the research!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting post, you currently earn over £100k in oz, and are prepared to move to Canada for less money, circa £100k....I presume that you are not chasing a better salary, just a better or different lifestyle. Can I ask, what is it about Australia that would make you leave for less money? Or, what is it that appeals to you about Canada that Australia is unable to provide, you could travel with all that cash you are earning there?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

The cost of travel, especially as a family of five, is quite prohibitive from Perth. I understand that Calgary is probably as isolated as Perth however, its location and competition between airlines, means that travel costs and flight times are more affordable.

Further, with the US on the doorstep, it opens more opportunities that what Australia is able to offer....as beautiful as it is.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of travel, especially as a family of five, is quite prohibitive from Perth. I understand that Calgary is probably as isolated as Perth however, its location and competition between airlines, means that travel costs and flight times are more affordable.

Further, with the US on the doorstep, it opens more opportunities that what Australia is able to offer....as beautiful as it is.
I see the attraction of the states being on the doorstep (relatively) are you pr or citizen of Australia? I suppose you could always return if it all goes wrong. One heck of a weather change though, particularly the winter months. Good luck with your choice.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

We arrived on 457 and received PR last year. The weather is certainly something that will take a while to get used to however, the idea of having the rockies down the road makes us for it.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you believe that Calgary is as isolated as Perth? As isolated from what?

If you cannot live comfortably on $150K+ in Calgary, there is something wrong.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:11 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why do you believe that Calgary is as isolated as Perth? As isolated from what?

If you cannot live comfortably on $150K+ in Calgary, there is something wrong.
Exactly i dont think you can get much more isolated than Perth...Calgary isn't very far from Edmonton the US border or Vancouver at a push..its only 9 hrs on a flight direct to London or Manchester or Glasgow (which ever floats your boat).
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think I get the OP's thinking.

Just for interest sake, distance from Perth Australia to Stanley FI is 6686 miles.
Distance from Calgary to Stanley 7829 miles. I choose FI because it is currently in the press, silly really, proves very little!

The costs associated with a flight from Australia to Canada or the states are ridiculous, it is cheaper to fly the wrong way around the world via uk to NA. Though I suspect he will miss the opportunity to travel cheaply to SE Asia, he clearly wishes to venture into the NA continent. With a salary around £100k he will have the resource to do so. Good luck to you sir!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I think I get the OP's thinking.

Just for interest sake, distance from Perth Australia to Stanley FI is 6686 miles.
Distance from Calgary to Stanley 7829 miles. I choose FI because it is currently in the press, silly really, proves very little!

The costs associated with a flight from Australia to Canada or the states are ridiculous, it is cheaper to fly the wrong way around the world via uk to NA. Though I suspect he will miss the opportunity to travel cheaply to SE Asia, he clearly wishes to venture into the NA continent. With a salary around £100k he will have the resource to do so. Good luck to you sir!
Bizarre logic
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

I'm an Ozzie - moved from Sydney to Vancouver in 2007, then moved on to Calgary in 2008 and have been here ever since.

Some quick points for you:
- Calgary is not at all isolated like Perth, cannot compare the two at all from that perspective.
- The weather is likely to be a big initial shock, but once you have updated your wardrobes and got used to winter life (snow shovelling, driving, winter tires etc) you will quickly adapt.
- Your salary sounds fine unless you have very expensive tastes, but note that you will still need to spend a few years to building up a credit rating.
- Also I find the $$ value of non-salary benefits to be significantly higher in Canada then in Oz, so your total package may not be as difference as you first thought, also your taxes will likely be lower.
- Being near the Rockies is very, very nice.

All the best.

Last edited by Budgie1; Mar 12th 2013 at 6:08 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:47 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

We arrived on 457 and received PR last year. The weather is certainly something that will take a while to get used to however, the idea of having the rockies down the road makes us for it.
the rockies are great as you say

but enough to swing the deal ?

unless your avid skiers/mountain bikers/hikers

as much as i like Banff its full of people with expensive goretex wandering about main street eating bear claws - biggest walk being from parking lot to upper hot springs - it's usually heaving all year
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBC
Information from the 2006 census that was released Thursday indicates the median income for families in and around Calgary was $82,363 — an increase from the 2001 census, when it was $76,952, adjusted for inflation.
From http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-earnings.html

So, $150k will be twice the average (the 2008 average but I don't think its changed so much since then).

Don't worry, unless you get in over your head, you'll be the envy of most of your neighbours.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:15 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
From http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-earnings.html

So, $150k will be twice the average (the 2008 average but I don't think its changed so much since then).

Don't worry, unless you get in over your head, you'll be the envy of most of your neighbours.
Unless his neighbours work in the patch then he'll be the poor relation
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Unless his neighbours work in the patch then he'll be the poor relation
Where is this "patch" you speak of?

Is it oily?