Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential Move

Potential Move

Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move

Originally Posted by jproberts
Ahh ok great so the 106,000 mentioned on the immigration website would actually be a great wage compared to mine now. We wouldn't move unless we had enough money to support a better lifestyle than here in the U.K. So that is promising news. Thanks for the reply
From what I've seen, getting 106,000CAD isn't a realistic expectation. It is possible to get salaries in that region but I would not expect to unless you're in a senior position or working out of a camp. The majority of job advertisements I've seen show more around the 60 to 70k region. I think as a graduate, new to the country, you're unlikely to command a large salary.

If money is your primary driver, I wonder if it is even worth it. I too am an engineer, Canada doesn't look too much better salary wise for engineers.
I have friends in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, UAE, Qatar and Bahrain; with the exception of NZ those countries are much easier to go to for work, no registration required and offer better salary packages. You could always go contracting in the UK for money, that's what I do and the money is great, but money isn't everything.

I think if you move to Canada to get rich from engineering, you'll end up cold and disappointed.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

have you checked you EE points with your degree plus experience and your to be wife you should be in a good position.

I would also set up a profile now. i assume you have a HND already you would be able to get in as a technologist. If its trade qualifications then a fitter. you can update as you get more qualifications to increase points but you may well get selected before then.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I should finish my degree at the end of 2018, we'd be looking to move immediately after I graduate. a 2 year work permit sounds great but I have my Fiancee to consider aswell. We're definately planning a recce visit (as our honeymoon next year)
As things (immigration options) stand at the moment, & barring major changes, both you & your fiancée would be eligible for IEC, which if everything went/goes well might help you both get Canadian experience which gives points in Express Entry (route to PR).

You (& I mean both of you) are lucky that you have several options open.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

on the money front, it is such an individual thing, personally i make 50% more than i would in the Scotland.

$60-70k is a standard graduate starting salary closer to the 60 in my area.

but you are also bringing 8 years of real experience to the table so you are not standard grad, your package will be very unique.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 5:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I should finish my degree at the end of 2018, we'd be looking to move immediately after I graduate. a 2 year work permit sounds great but I have my Fiancee to consider aswell. We're definately planning a recce visit (as our honeymoon next year)
Unless there are radical and unanticipated changes to IEC before 2018 both you and your (then) spouse would be eligible to apply.

If the successful applicant turns out to be you and you get a skilled job, then the other partner would automatically get an open work permit too.

It really is the best shot for someone in your position.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for your replies. we're not moving to get rich, we're moving to have a better lifestyle but we need to earn enough to have a better lifestyle lol
IEC definitely seems like the route to go for then so i'll start looking into that more thanks guys!
Thanks for everyone's input it definitely seems like we're in a good position to make the move. On another note has anyone moved a dog with them? was it complicated and what sort of costs were involved?
Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2016, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

Also, isn't IEC a temporary thing? We're really looking to settle and put down roots once we arrive
Old Nov 13th 2016, 9:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Also, isn't IEC a temporary thing? We're really looking to settle and put down roots once we arrive
Yes, but do you qualify for PR without a job offer? If not, then there's no way of moving permanently straight away anyway, and an IEC is going to be a much quicker and easier route for you than trying to find an employer prepared to pay $1000, and go through the hassle and paperwork of a LMIA app for you.

So an IEC would be a good way to get over there, you'd be work authorised so an employer wouldn't need to go through any hassle to hire you, and you could get some all important Canadian experience and hopefully convince your employer to help you stay permanently.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

So once i'm over there on an IEC, if i find permanent employment then I could become a PR from there? On the immigration website in the FAQ's this is one of the questions and replies:

Can I immigrate to Canada under International Experience Canada?
No. You are not able to immigrate to, or become a permanent resident of Canada under International Experience Canada.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So once i'm over there on an IEC, if i find permanent employment then I could become a PR from there? On the immigration website in the FAQ's this is one of the questions and replies:

Can I immigrate to Canada under International Experience Canada?
No. You are not able to immigrate to, or become a permanent resident of Canada under International Experience Canada.
But once IEC is used and once you've been in Skilled employment for 12 months you can apply under CEC (Canadian Experience Class).
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

and a nice points boost for EE
Old Nov 13th 2016, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh ok that sounds good then, i just don't want to sell all of our furniture etc in the UK and then have to come back. Can i still arrange work before we go with IEC? We'd need to have something arranged before moving.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 6:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh ok that sounds good then, i just don't want to sell all of our furniture etc in the UK and then have to come back. Can i still arrange work before we go with IEC? We'd need to have something arranged before moving.
If you are on a temp permit, until you have the permanent residence permit approved and in hand, it is still temporary and there is always (maybe a slim) chance you have to return to country of origin.

You can try, be prepared to move without arranged work. Few employers hire from overseas unless you have high demand skills. Most want a face to face.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you are on a temp permit, until you have the permanent residence permit approved and in hand, it is still temporary and there is always (maybe a slim) chance you have to return to country of origin.

You can try, be prepared to move without arranged work. Few employers hire from overseas unless you have high demand skills. Most want a face to face.

Think I'm finally starting to fully get my head around this thanks, so what would I have to do / apply for whilst on a temp permit to gain PR?
Old Nov 13th 2016, 9:21 pm
Born again atheist

Think I'm finally starting to fully get my head around this thanks, so what would I have to do / apply for whilst on a temp permit to gain PR?
Work for 12 months in a skilled job and apply under CEC. Jeez.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.