Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential Expats :)

Potential Expats :)

Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:54 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lockjaw
Don't you get more rain out there than we do in the UK

Give me snow over rain anyday

When you've shovelled that snow every morning to get the car out of the garage....

You’ll begin to appreciate the fact that you never have to shovel rain.

I can take about 3mths of snow….. unfortunately the winter is about 4mths…
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:13 am
Glaswegian

4 months of winter, that's not bad.

Like I said, our snow starts in September and stops around the May long weekend.

The chinooks melt it periodically between times, but that's still a damn lot of shovelling to do.

People seem to get hopeful and rush out to buy bedding plants in April .... then it cools down again and we get a couple of big dumps of snow in May :scared:

Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:29 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Glaswegian
4 months of winter, that's not bad.

Like I said, our snow starts in September and stops around the May long weekend.

The chinooks melt it periodically between times, but that's still a damn lot of shovelling to do.

People seem to get hopeful and rush out to buy bedding plants in April .... then it cools down again and we get a couple of big dumps of snow in May :scared:
And looking at the hail in edmonton it can look like snow in July.........

A SW-Ontario winter is long enough for me.....
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:36 am
Glaswegian

The TV pictures from Edmonton were impressive.

We had just sat down and sort of decided that Julys were the only months we hadn't seen snow in the last three years.

We've snow every year in June of course (but not as bad as May) and we had snow 1st August in 2002!

At least we didn't get any hail down in the deep SW.

Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

ella69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential Expats

I just landed in Calgary 3 weeks ago...is it true that Calgary is one of the few cities that does not lay too much emphasis on "canadian experience".. How do you get round the canadian experience barrrier..Any suggestions....
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:44 pm
Glaswegian

Who told you that??!!

Calgarian employers place a lot of value in Canadian experience - specifically oil & gas experience. I know a guy from Edmonton who had trouble getting a job in Calgary because he didn't have local experience.

I kept plugging away for three months after I got here to get a job that was a big career step backwards. I used to work on projects rolling out 1,000's of PC's - I got a job installing printers and small networks. To add insult to injury, I got laid off after a year - it was simply last in, first out, nothing personal.

I got a new job after another three months, which is much better. Working hard and earning the trust and confidence of the company that I work for, I'm now getting to handle similar projects to the ones I did in the UK before I landed in 2001.

I don't know the answer - if you're in IT join CIPS and go to the career nights.

I remember meeting a very pissed off eastern european hardware engineer at a CIPS event who had spent a year rewinding vacuum cleaner motors.

I also met lots of local graduates who were asking exactly the same questions as you are.

Calgary seems to be sold as an easy destination, it isn't. We have long hard winters and it's tough to get started in the job market.

Once you do get a job where you can prove yourself, that's a different issue.

What sort of work are you looking for?

Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:57 pm
Glaswegian

Sorry for the rant, my blood pressure has now returned to normal.

Please PM me and I'll do my best to be of help.