Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Possitive reinforcment drive? Canada EH?

Possitive reinforcment drive? Canada EH?

Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:09 am
Just Joined

canuckfcuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possitive reinforcment drive? Canada EH?

Well, depending how many pounds you're bringing over you'll be living large for a while. It's when you start getting paid in Canadian dollars when your money will start to dwindle!

From May-Oct you are guaranteed no snow. Late June through to mid-Sept it's nice and hot. The snow isn't that bad (well okay in Montreal and parts of the Prairies--and the East Coast--well okay it's bad everywhere). It's an easy country to get along with and the cities are easily navigated (unlike, say London, which is a madhouse).
Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:16 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by canuck****
From May-Oct you are guaranteed no snow.
Never been to Alberta have you?

It can snow almost any month of the year here ... July is the only month I haven't seen snow in almost four years

Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:24 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuck****
and the cities are easily navigated (unlike, say London, which is a madhouse).
I'm not so sure you've driven in Toronto either....
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:06 am
Just Joined

canuckfcuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I'm not so sure you've driven in Toronto either....
Lol! I live in Toronto, but no I've never driven in it. As a pedestrian I've had no trouble. The left side/right side issue was a problem for a bit, but I sorted that out soon enough. Although there are some intersections that I just DON'T mess with. Even if there are no cars AT ALL-- I'll wait for the light to change green.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

hi guys!

what happened to all this possitivety?

everyone stopped.

I do beleive the settling process is difficult for everyone and to begin with we are all on that roller coaster. Fear of the unknown seems to be the biggest problem. I love a challenge but when you feel like a lost teenager, finding your feet. It does become hard at times.
familiarity breeds content! isn't that what they say?

good things also comes to those who wait. Yet, sometimes it is frustrating when you are a mature person who knows they can do it. just need the freedom to start. (the waiting process for PR in order to venture out there)

anyway i need more input from you guys. please!
happy, jolly, possitive stories of triumphs in this great country.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this might be the best place to post this seeing as it's theme is on the good things about Canada.

I thought I'd just share my recent experience of job hunting. We arrived in Canada mid-September and the plan was for me to not worry about finding employment until the New Year so that we could concentrate on settling and so on. So after the Christmas break I went along to a local employment service called jobzonedemploi. www.jobzonedemploi.ca/

As they state on their website the purpose of "Job Zone d’emploi is a non-profit community organization that provides services in English and French to the unemployed and underemployed in Cornwall & Area to help them become employed or to maintain employment." I found they offered a great service. I was assigned an advisor who talked through employment options with me and fine tuned my resume, I attended two three hour workshops on interview technique and health and safety free of any charges and had two more workshops lined up early next month. However my first job interview has resulted in a job offer which I've accepted and I start on Monday. It's only operating machinary at a local factory so boring work no doubt, but the money's not bad and it's good to feel like I'm making a start.

I for one have experienced the culture shock that has been spoken about so much recently but things are improving now and I can't speak highly enough of the local employment service. I know that many contributors on this forum have professions that they'd like to continue with in Canada so for them I know it's a lot harder. But suddenly Canada doesn't seem so bad after all!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:17 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
suddenly Canada doesn't seem so bad after all!
Congratulations Stepnek! There are services like that in a lot of cities that newcommers could make more use of I suspect.

Thought of another couple more trivial positives to add to my list now we are back on the topic.

Right turn on Red!
Easy access to cheep Golf (but not this time of year )
Sundogs on a frosty morning
My mountain bike cost the same in $ as it would in £ (but not much in the way of mountains round here )
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Well done Stepnek a nice positive post for a change hope you get on well
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

I thought this might be the best place to post this seeing as it's theme is on the good things about Canada.

I thought I'd just share my recent experience of job hunting. We arrived in Canada mid-September and the plan was for me to not worry about finding employment until the New Year so that we could concentrate on settling and so on. So after the Christmas break I went along to a local employment service called jobzonedemploi. www.jobzonedemploi.ca/

As they state on their website the purpose of "Job Zone d’emploi is a non-profit community organization that provides services in English and French to the unemployed and underemployed in Cornwall & Area to help them become employed or to maintain employment." I found they offered a great service. I was assigned an advisor who talked through employment options with me and fine tuned my resume, I attended two three hour workshops on interview technique and health and safety free of any charges and had two more workshops lined up early next month. However my first job interview has resulted in a job offer which I've accepted and I start on Monday. It's only operating machinary at a local factory so boring work no doubt, but the money's not bad and it's good to feel like I'm making a start.

I for one have experienced the culture shock that has been spoken about so much recently but things are improving now and I can't speak highly enough of the local employment service. I know that many contributors on this forum have professions that they'd like to continue with in Canada so for them I know it's a lot harder. But suddenly Canada doesn't seem so bad after all!
Congratulations!! That is great news. I think once you have a job, you start to feel a bit more human again. I am sure it will help you to settle.

Positives of Canada

Defined seasons - esp. good summers
more space once out of the cities
larger detached houses (with land if desired)
friendly people (mostly!)
choice of living near mountains, ocean or lakes
possibility of affording a pool/cottage one day!!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:36 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Moose are nice
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:01 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
friendly people (mostly!)
This is the most influencing factor for wanting to come!
We want to be nice Canadian's too!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:06 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Just brilliant. You're attitude sounds good too..well done!
Thanks for sharing about the service recieved.