Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:48 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Originally Posted by Oink
Everyone I know wants to leave the UK now because of the crime, high cost of living, poor customer service, crumbling education system, celebrity culture, rain, crap seasides, rugby, too many old people, dirty booze soaked cities, sex obsessed teenagers hanging around shopping centres and the general lack of respect for each other. It’s just not the same place anymore. Then there’s the immigrants. I don’t blame everyone for waning to leave, its not a good place to bring up your kids and they are the most important.

Edited to add: And the traffic has gotten bad.

Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:54 am
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I also blame the fairies.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone I know wants to leave the UK now because of the crime, high cost of living, poor customer service, crumbling education system, celebrity culture, rain, crap seasides, rugby, too many old people, dirty booze soaked cities, sex obsessed teenagers hanging around shopping centres and the general lack of respect for each other. It’s just not the same place anymore. Then there’s the immigrants. I don’t blame everyone for waning to leave, its not a good place to bring up your kids and they are the most important.

Edited to add: And the traffic has gotten bad.
Tell them to stop reading the Daily Mail.

I'm moving over for cheap pizza and coffee.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Personally I'm just going so I can shoot guns and I like their flag.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
The number of those admitted via the family class, and the dependants/spouses of skilled workers, far outweighs the number of skilled workers.

So it would seem that the vast majority of people entering Canada legally are not doing so under the skilled worker route. Only 40,735 last year out of a total of 252,179.

So the notion that people who come to Canada are well educated and skilled in terribly important jobs is quite skewed. What the exchange rate has to do with any of that is anyone's guess.
Is it a fair comparison to highlight skilled worker, principle applicants only and add their dependants in with the dependants and people of the other categories?

If one includes dependants, the skilled worker category yields 96,000 as against Family class of 65,000 and 17,000 of those are other relatives.

When it comes to immediate family it's 48,000 Family class compared to 96,000 skilled worker and immediate family..

In terms of "cases" or reason for an individual or family to apply, spousal sponsorship applications are just under 44,000 while skilled worker applications are a little under 41,000. So reasons for people moving to Canada are pretty much 50/50 between skilled and spousal.

Economic migrants is actually the biggest group. It includes skilled workers and a couple of other categories that one would associate with high level (or terribly important ) employment such as entrepreneurs, investors and those impressing provincial officials enough to be a special category. Then you have nearer 56,000.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall assessment, just the conclusion a little.

56,000 applications result from skilled workers or those offering that bit more than usual.

44,000 are sponsored by partners.

So the reasons for moving to Canada are more about "terribly important" employment.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

... its not a good place to bring up your kids and they are the most important.

They are the world, they are the future.

Edited to add... "gotten"???!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:55 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is it a fair comparison to highlight skilled worker, principle applicants only and add their dependants in with the dependants and people of the other categories?

If one includes dependants, the skilled worker category yields 96,000 as against Family class of 65,000 and 17,000 of those are other relatives.

When it comes to immediate family it's 48,000 Family class compared to 96,000 skilled worker and immediate family..

In terms of "cases" or reason for an individual or family to apply, spousal sponsorship applications are just under 44,000 while skilled worker applications are a little under 41,000. So reasons for people moving to Canada are pretty much 50/50 between skilled and spousal.

Economic migrants is actually the biggest group. It includes skilled workers and a couple of other categories that one would associate with high level (or terribly important ) employment such as entrepreneurs, investors and those impressing provincial officials enough to be a special category. Then you have nearer 56,000.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall assessment, just the conclusion a little.

56,000 applications result from skilled workers or those offering that bit more than usual.

44,000 are sponsored by partners.

So the reasons for moving to Canada are more about "terribly important" employment.
Oh I don't disagree with any of that. My point was not so much about the reasons for moving to Canada, more the relatively small percentage of those doing so under the skilled worker route. We could guess and say that the spouses and dependants of the skilled workers, and those being sponsored, may be just as "skilled" and "educated" as the skilled workers themselves, but I don't think that information is available (or I can't be bothered to find out!)

It's fair to say that, with the majority of the inward routes to Canada, there are more spouses and dependants being admitted that the actual principle applicants who meet the criteria. Therefore, the majority of people emigrating to Canada are not the stereotypical "skilled worker" in the traditional sense.

Interestingly, there were 3,027 dependant children admitted last year through the sponsorship route, and 3,181 refugee dependants. Not a vastly different amount, and iIm sure that the rate of currency exchange matters not a jot to any of them.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

mrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nice

Bottom line - the budget spending review on October 20th should accelerate this process. It won't be a case of where, it will just be a case of out of the UK to anywhere where you have opportunities. The level of cuts people are talking about (think Canada mid to late 90's as I understand it? - 30-40%?) will make the UK increasingly un-viable unless your in the right occupation, have the right skill set or are very well off (and can afford to take the hit). Not good times for those of us that don't like to gamble. When looking for a job several thousand miles away seems a better option than staying in the country you work in, you know there are problems.

Last edited by mrvp; Aug 29th 2010 at 3:37 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
They are the world, they are the future.

Edited to add... "gotten"???!!!!
The colloquial mutation was simply inserted to bring a certain aesthetic authenticity to the metanarrive.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:47 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The colloquial mutation was simply inserted to bring a certain aesthetic authenticity to the metanarrive.
Ah. Awesome.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Rate of exchange is always important when migrating, if you don't think it is then you're poor to start with and have nothing to lose.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:46 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
Rate of exchange is always important when migrating, if you don't think it is then you're poor to start with and have nothing to lose.
um....
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Good grief, I know you are a Graundiad reader, but in case you didn't notice, a signficant proportion of the country were unhappy with Gordo so Labour lost the election. So it's now the Dave and Nick show, which seems to be doing reasonably well so far.

Perhaps the reduction in emigration has more to do with the general economic downturn - more risky moving to another country in the depths of a recession if you have a decent job in the UK. I'd also hazard a guess that the weakness of the pound vs. some other currencies would have an impact. Leaving the UK to move to Canada now doesn't automatically mean exchanging one's semi in surbiton for a 4500 sq ft pile in Canada. Not without a sizeable mortgage it doesn't and I refer you back to my first point.
Hi

Very much so!

Some applicants about to get PR are really in an awkward position. House prices about to take another tumble and very hard to find employment before moving to Canada. Like most job applications you need to allow a few months to secure a job offer, maybe another financial worry.

We were hoping to sell before going but will rent house out for a few years, or decide to delay the move and save up some more, maybe still consider to keep the house in the UK if recession continues for several years to come.

End of day has to be financially viable to move, and not make erational choices. Only time will tell!

Hard times in the UK but in the end it'll be for the best (I like to think). At this moment of time(I use this expression lightly) everything is running smoothly.

Angela
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

But if you have it to start to begin with, then losing it when integrating can make it feel like its gone away because of the symbolic exchange.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by 99problems
Hi

Very true!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.