Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:07 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Originally Posted by Souvy
<wanders off for a ciggy>
<joins for ciggy before eggs drips too far down face>
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Maybe the other countries like Canada are tightening up....so fewer Brits can escape !

JET
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

before leaving the UK, the majority of friends & colleagues I spoke to about our move said they would like to emigrate. Not necessarily to Canada, but a move out of the UK all the same. Was this pre-election blues....maybe.

However, saying it is one thing and actually committing to doing it is another, especially with having financial / family / friend ties in your home land ruling out such a huge upheaval for most people.

Oh, and not to mention the moving and immigration costs and risk of not liking it or not being able to get work etc.

I suspect the Spanish property collapse brought many Brits back home tho?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

I'd have to say IMO a huge reason is the exchange rate combined with falling house prices and difficulty selling houses also, people just aren't buying in our area at the moment. There was an article on Sky news the other day that more people are dipping into their savings to make ends meet, thats def the case for us at the mo but hopefully it will turn round.

Yet we are still braving all this to move next April/May, if the house doesn't sell for what we want we will rent and hopefully get by.

The trades around where I live are struggling now, I'm earning less now than 5 years ago, the VAT rise next year will hit hard.
Everythings going up but earning less, how does that work
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

with rats leaving an indebted ship.... it is one thing to want to leave, but it is another to have a country willing to receive you
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats kind of sad if the theories that people can't leave just because they can't afford it are true. It's also a vicious circle, since the reason people can't afford it is because the UK is such an expensive place to live also compared to other parts of the world.

I mean I really disliked the UK when I left last year, but now I think back and I definitely think going to Canada for a bit has given me perspective, I no longer think the UK is a bad place to live any more. Though it could just be that my memory has faded.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Thats kind of sad if the theories that people can't leave just because they can't afford it are true. It's also a vicious circle, since the reason people can't afford it is because the UK is such an expensive place to live also compared to other parts of the world.

I mean I really disliked the UK when I left last year, but now I think back and I definitely think going to Canada for a bit has given me perspective, I no longer think the UK is a bad place to live any more. Though it could just be that my memory has faded.
I think your memory may have faded

No seriously from the people I know most working class families are earning the same or less and everything is getting more expensive, the short term loan guys are taking advantage with their so-called pay day loans at the moment with extortionate interest charges as alot are struggling to make it to payday although its more a case of tightening our belts
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Is it not obvious? Emigrating during a recession is always a higher risk. Not to mention UK sterling exchange rate has tanked against all civilised currencies in the last 2 years. We hope to move next year but will rent until the exchange rate improves and we can stomach changing savings and house sale proceeds to Can $.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why anyone would want to stay in the UK. What a dump - it's like a third world country now-a-days.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't know why anyone would want to stay in the UK. What a dump - it's like a third world country now-a-days.
If only that were true then does that mean countries would give us financial aid?????
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
Is it not obvious? Emigrating during a recession is always a higher risk.
Historically, emigration has been driven by economic troubles, so that's garbage.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Historically, emigration has been driven by economic troubles, so that's garbage.
While I agree with that, I think there's also a case that the recession and, particularly, the exchange rate, inhibit people from moving from the UK to Canada. I think emigrants to Canada are generally quite well off in the UK, they're not the impoverished masses. In such circumstances, the case for Canada has to be about lifestyle and scenery and other intangibles rather than what I see as being the typical motivation; more stuff. I think it was the ability to buy a humungous house and a boat and an SUV that moved people, now that has gone away people would have to like Canada, not just consumer durables, to be inclined to move.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
While I agree with that, I think there's also a case that the recession and, particularly, the exchange rate, inhibit people from moving from the UK to Canada. I think emigrants to Canada are generally quite well off in the UK, they're not the impoverished masses. In such circumstances, the case for Canada has to be about lifestyle and scenery and other intangibles rather than what I see as being the typical motivation; more stuff. I think it was the ability to buy a humungous house and a boat and an SUV that moved people, now that has gone away people would have to like Canada, not just consumer durables, to be inclined to move.
Agree with alot of what you've said here DBD but not sure what you term by "well off" although I know you sadi generally.
I wouldn't describe ourselves as well off, we have worked all our lives and saved hard to get in the position to move and now we have to save again and quickly as a drop in work available for me has seen us having to dip into our savings.
The people I have met who have recently emigrated to where we are bound are also working class so by "well off" I would take that to mean that the workshy benefit scroungers of the UK don't qualify
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags1972
Agree with alot of what you've said here DBD but not sure what you term by "well off" although I know you sadi generally.
I wouldn't describe ourselves as well off, we have worked all our lives and saved hard to get in the position to move and now we have to save again and quickly as a drop in work available for me has seen us having to dip into our savings.
The people I have met who have recently emigrated to where we are bound are also working class so by "well off" I would take that to mean that the workshy benefit scroungers of the UK don't qualify
"well off" meaning not having been driven off the land. "well off" meaning not fleeing persecution. "well off" meaning not the half starved wretches that built the railroads, Jingsamichty's typical immigrants of the past.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:03 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
I suspect the Spanish property collapse brought many Brits back home tho?
I had a study done for work last yr re. population as I was utility planning.

We had previously been reviewing the reduction in pop due to East Europeans returning home, but this was more than off set by Brits returning to the UK & we still had positive growth.

Spanish property collapse AND the euro generally were big influencing factors.
It is also thought it might be the demographic of those in Spain returning in older age for medical care in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.