Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Originally Posted by Souvy
How about folk that need the money? Very few people work because they want to work.
Originally Posted by jimf
In this particular business the wages for the "shop floor" staff are very low not much above minimum wage. They don't seem to have a problem with recruitment though. If the minimum wage was raised significantly or if there was a union to drive up wages then that part of the business would be shut down immediately no question.
Originally Posted by ireland2canada
In my example above, it was widely known that contracts at this particular place were shit, the bottom of the barrel. No one actually wanted to work there, the conditions were dire and the staff were treated like lab animals. Staff turnover was incredible. The place was a sprawl of work stations so many staff drank from flasks and whatnot hidden under the desk. On numerous occasions, the police came to the building and carted people off for a selection of crimes including assault and drug offences. The ring leader in the on-going union fiasco was a recent release from prison for a catalogue of violent, paramilitary related crimes. (Actually, he was a very pleasant man, but best to keep on his good side).

I went there as it was the only full time position at the time that had an immediate start. I remember revelling in the thought of earning a whole 5 GBP per hour (Incidentally, this while I was still a student, you know, paying all that student related stuff )

The point of all this was that the place was hellish to work in. Yet, people cannot always pick and choose and say "oh no, poor employment practices, I'll not work there". The same goes for immigrants, beggars cannot be choosers. Take it, keep your mouth shut and move on at the first opportunity.
I appreciate all that you say. I also appreciate that, in a tough economic climate, one frequently has to bend over and take it.

Having said that, I can think of very few industries where the employer is the only one that one can work for, particularly if the workers are low skilled.

As others have said, bad employers are bad employers. I am always amazed that they are able to find employees.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I appreciate all that you say. I also appreciate that, in a tough economic climate, one frequently has to bend over and take it.

Having said that, I can think of very few industries where the employer is the only one that one can work for, particularly if the workers are low skilled.

As others have said, bad employers are bad employers. I am always amazed that they are able to find employees.
I suspect that for the workplace I was referring to there is a ready supply of foreign labour quite willing to put up with the pay and conditions.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Isn't that why Canada needs immigrants from the Third World even when the unemployment rate is very high?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It's one thing for an individual to use the rules to their best advantage but the fact that this type of thing is going on does suggest there are big problems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11261161
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's one thing for an individual to use the rules to their best advantage but the fact that this type of thing is going on does suggest there are big problems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11261161
I don't think it suggests a systemic problem. People cheat. Some get caught. That's true wherever you are and regardless whether the payer is the state or a private insurance company. There's only a problem if few get caught.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112
What i don't understand is why people continuously bug us for work and then when we find it for them they either don't turn up or don't want it!
Possibly this is to satisfy their job seekers agreement about applying for jobs. Feel free to pass their details on for turning work down.

Originally Posted by linz3112
Some people have said to us that yes the hourly rate is better but they are better off staying on Benefits as that includes the housing and council tax benefits too and obviously our wage doesn't!
The old 'myth' problem again, where people think they lose all benefits by coming off JSA.

All benefits are only cancelled if the wage is sufficiently high enough to leave the person "not needing" them.

Housing Benefit can still be claimed even if the net wage is more than the value of the total benefits and, regardless of net pay, Housing Benefit can also remain in payment for a month...effectively meaning JSA can be exchanged for a wage, leaving someone significantly better off, with the added advantage that this work may lead to something better.

A lot depends on rents and local benefit levels. You could suggest to these people that they seek an "in work income calculation" from their job centre based on the potenial wage. Then they'll know what their situation would really be.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think it suggests a systemic problem. People cheat. Some get caught. That's true wherever you are and regardless whether the payer is the state or a private insurance company. There's only a problem if few get caught.
Another incident. Would a robust and effective system allow this to go on for 5 years?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cape-jail.html
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

They should get 10 years apiece.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
They should get 10 years apiece.
For 85k? When there are people walking around that have taken billions?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
For 85k? When there are people walking around that have taken billions?
In child benefits...........
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:16 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Another incident. Would a robust and effective system allow this to go on for 5 years?

this type of fraud in the UK is rife. I know at least two sets of my family members who are doing the same thing and many others outside of the family. One claims she is a single mom, while her boyfriend lives with her, claims dole himself, while listing his mother's address and works as a roofer for cash in hand. They are raking it in with min overhead and child benefits.

There's become an atmosphere, at least where I'm from, that this is perfectly acceptable and there's many a nudge, nudge, wink, wink down at the local, where people compare notes on how to play the system.

I've made myself unpopular at times when I have expressed my views on what they are doing. Their response, "well everyone's doing it"

Last edited by dboy; Sep 11th 2010 at 9:18 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you add up all the benefit fraud in the UK for the last 20 years it won't be make much of a dent on what was spent keeping the banks afloat and paying their bonuses. The government spunked well over a trillion (yes, you read that right, a trillion - link) on banking bailouts - what's benefit fraud supposed to be? less than 1 billion probably.

Yet the media wants to vilify a couple who took an extra 20k a year for five years. Unbelievable really - we are being taken for mugs.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Even if you add up all the benefit fraud in the UK for the last 20 years it won't be make much of a dent on what was spent keeping the banks afloat and paying their bonuses. The government spunked well over a trillion (yes, you read that right, a trillion - link) on banking bailouts - what's benefit fraud supposed to be? less than 1 billion probably.

Yet the media wants to vilify a couple who took an extra 20k a year for five years. Unbelievable really - we are being taken for mugs.
It's the Daily Mail. Enough said
Old Sep 12th 2010, 2:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"The couple had a holiday caravan worth £13,995 in Clacton-on-Sea".

Bleeding hell, you wouldn't think the system would let that go unnoticed
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Their response, "well everyone's doing it"
A bit like Oakvillian justifying off-shoring then.

Edit: Ignore that; it's been a bad day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.