Pondering a move to the Great White North

Pondering a move to the Great White North

Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

mhk77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pondering a move to the Great White North

Hi everyone,

First time poster here so please be gentle

My wife and I are determined to leave the UK. With my job I'm quite lucky in that there is a worldwide shortage in people trained to do what I do, and so the places we are looking at are Canada and Dubai. We both want to ultimately settle in Canada, it's just I would be happy to go there now, whereas my wife would prefer to go to Dubai for 3 or 5 years first before Canada.

I have a few questions, therefore, that hopefully some of you nice people could answer for us!

1. We don't want to find ourselves in a 'grass isn't always greener' situation if and when we move abroad. Our reasons for leaving the UK are (in no particular order) crippling taxes, rising crime, lack of respect for others & the high cost of living. How does Canada compare on these issues & has anyone on here found that they have just moved and found themselves facing the same problems that they left behind?

2. It's likely that we would be looking at either Toronto or Edmonton with a small possibility of Winnipeg. Where would you go? We are lucky in that I can apply to the place I want and so any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. How is the job market at the moment in Canada with the 'Global Credit Crunch' upon us? This would be of more relevance to my wife who currently works in Marketing.

I'll leave at that for now, but thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pondering a move to the Great White North

Originally Posted by mhk77
Hi everyone,

First time poster here so please be gentle

My wife and I are determined to leave the UK. With my job I'm quite lucky in that there is a worldwide shortage in people trained to do what I do, and so the places we are looking at are Canada and Dubai. We both want to ultimately settle in Canada, it's just I would be happy to go there now, whereas my wife would prefer to go to Dubai for 3 or 5 years first before Canada.

I have a few questions, therefore, that hopefully some of you nice people could answer for us!

1. We don't want to find ourselves in a 'grass isn't always greener' situation if and when we move abroad. Our reasons for leaving the UK are (in no particular order) crippling taxes, rising crime, lack of respect for others & the high cost of living. How does Canada compare on these issues & has anyone on here found that they have just moved and found themselves facing the same problems that they left behind?

2. It's likely that we would be looking at either Toronto or Edmonton with a small possibility of Winnipeg. Where would you go? We are lucky in that I can apply to the place I want and so any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. How is the job market at the moment in Canada with the 'Global Credit Crunch' upon us? This would be of more relevance to my wife who currently works in Marketing.

I'll leave at that for now, but thanks in advance for any replies!
What do you do?

Great White South, by the way.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Great White South, by the way.
Hi Souvenir,

Apologies I always thought it Was Great White North, what with it being Northern North America and all. Or am I missing something......?

I'm an air traffic controller by trade.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Cue Steve...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Cue Steve...
Almost ten years removed now, I can't add much.

http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.as...es/default.xml
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:55 pm

Hi Souvenir,

Apologies I always thought it Was Great White North, what with it being Northern North America and all. Or am I missing something......?

Bits of it are but the places where the vast majority of people live are way south of anywhere in the British Isles. Boring but true.

I know nothing about the prospects for ATCs. The prospects for air traffic itself aren't looking too rosy, though.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Almost ten years removed now, I can't add much.

http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.as...es/default.xml
You just have to keep bringing up your medical condition, don't you?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You just have to keep bringing up your medical condition, don't you?
Eh?

Where the hell did that come from?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Souvenir,

Most of the population of Canada lives at about the same latitude as the south of France....

Most people find the cost of living here broadly similar to the UK, but property in most areas is significantly cheaper.

Canada also has tax. For middle income earners its probably a bit less, for high income earners its the same, perhaps even more.

Personally I find canadians more polite and considerate, but people living in Toronto might well argue differently, I live in small town canada, and frankly I think thats where the greatest lifestyle imporovements are to be found. Life in one city is pretty much like life in any other...too many people all getting on each others nerves.

The primary advantages of Canada are 4 proper seasons, more property for your money, English as the standard language, and a largely familiar culture.

Outside the big cities its probably a much less stressfull life too, with next to no crime.

My gut feeling is that people go to Dubai to make a lot of tax free money, but they come to Canada to live happily(ish) ever after...except for the ones who dont adjust to the climate / lack of family / different way of doing things / whatever.

The Canadian economy often mirrors the US, laging a bit behind. So far though we are weathering the credit cruch problems as Canada was less exposed in many respects. But marketing I suspect, like most jobs in Canada, is a question of who you know, not what, especially as a new immigrant.

Which City? Only you can decide that. What are you looking for? How much hassle and expense will you put up with. Off the three the winter in Toronto will be the easier to live through.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 27th 2008 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I've lived in both places, so hopefully have some decent advice for you.

(1) Our reasons for leaving the UK are (in no particular order) crippling taxes, rising crime, lack of respect for others & the high cost of living. How does Canada compare on these issues & has anyone on here found that they have just moved and found themselves facing the same problems that they left behind?

In my opinion, Canada is little different to the UK, merely a few years behind. Dubai is more typical of "Expat" locations whereas Canada is more of an "Emigrant" location.

Taxes are (broadly) similar in Canada and the UK. In Dubai, taxes are not really an issue, but it is nonetheless a VERY expensive place to live. You have to make sure you get a watertight all-covered package in Dubai or you can quickly be dipping into your own money for things that ought to be provided.

Crime exists in Canada in certain places, much as it does in the UK - the UK is not a crime-ridden sinkhole, and neither is Canada. There are pockets in both places that I wouldn't wish to set foot. In Dubai, crime is virtually non-existent in most westerners' lives.

Someone else will probably help with your Canadian location options. Of the places you mention, I've only been to Edmonton which was okay. Long hard winters there.

Job market - depends on what you do. Alberta is booming now. Possibly easier to get a job in Alberta than other places, but use the search and Wiki function, there is loads of info on that subject.

Cost of living is similar in Canada and the UK. Overall it is swings and roundabouts, but don't expect to be much better off or worse off overall. In Dubai, inflation is high, but you should be able to live well unless you try to keep up with the footballers and the Flash Harrys. A lot of people get in serious trouble in Dubai by living a lifestyle they can't afford.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your choices.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Eh?

Where the hell did that come from?
The not being able to "add much". Off-topic, off-tangent and silly. Forget about it.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Steve,

It's already in my internet favourites list, but thankyou for the link to Navcanada nonetheless

Souvenir, the job prospects I'm not worried about, the jobs are there. It's just a matter of getting through the interview and selection process. What I'm more worried about are the 3 questions I started with
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The not being able to "add much". Off-topic, off-tangent and silly. Forget about it.
I meant I was totally out of the loop as far as anything ATC related goes, nothing more.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Jingsamichty and Iaink,

Thankyou both for your input, much appreciated. Would either of you consider moving back to the UK or is Canada where you feel you will call home for the rest of your days? I'm interested in hearing a bit more about family life in Canada as well, as we would be moving with a very young child.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I met my wife here, and have two kids born here. Im here for the long haul.

If it wasnt for that, who knows. Forever is a long time, but Im happy in my little rut here. No desire to return to the UK, other than to visit family, which is just as well as my house here is only worth about £70k, which wont even get me a deposit on most places in the motherland.

The hardest aspect of living here is not having Uncle and Aunts, Cousins, Grandparents etc around to help out with the kids and for them to grow up around. Having Granddad visit for a week becomes such a big deal to the kids..they are hyper for days. Finding someone you trust to babysit so you can go out with your wife alone becomes a major deal. and its not like we all lived as neighbours before I came here, so I dont know how people with really close family that they see everyday deal with that.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 27th 2008 at 5:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.