Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Poll: MBA - UK or Canada ?

Poll: MBA - UK or Canada ?

Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:33 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll: MBA - UK or Canada ?

Pooling ideas and input from all you online expats on this forum...

I'm considering finishing my MBA (have completed year one at certificate level in 1998). I am presently on a 2 year contract, my employer would mentor me and provided peripheral support (but not funding or anything significant other then a few days off here and there). I could finish the thing in 12 months all told working flat out at it.

So, do I use up the next 18-24 months of my life waiting for PR by getting busy completing MBA in the UK or do I wait til I am in Canada and pay the dearer price over there, but with the benefit of immediate acknowledgement that it has been earned in Canada, plus in the meantime I can get work experience at any level whilst studying as well ?

Comparative costs (course only) - UK £5-15K or Canada $30-40k.

Thoughts/input most welcome.

Rich.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:42 am
mickj

Default Re: Poll: MBA - UK or Canada ?

Originally posted by Rich_007

I'm considering finishing my MBA (have completed year one at certificate level in 1998). I am presently on a 2 year contract, my employer would mentor me and provided peripheral support (but not funding or anything significant other then a few days off here and there). I could finish the thing in 12 months all told working flat out at it.

So, do I use up the next 18-24 months of my life waiting for PR by getting busy completing MBA in the UK or do I wait til I am in Canada and pay the dearer price over there, but with the benefit of immediate acknowledgement that it has been earned in Canada, plus in the meantime I can get work experience at any level whilst studying as well ?

Rich.

Hello Rich,

I don't know where the canadian prices are from, but i know a colleague of mine at work, is now doing his at University of western ontario in london Ontario where i did my master's, and he is not paying that much. My company is paying some of that fees as well for him.

I will suggest you do it here in canada, if you are planning to move here, that way you can get some canadian experience when you do your placement. Surely the price you quote for the UK is not from the `London Business School` in regents park london, which has a good reputation round the world. You might find it hard to get admission here though, unless you are willing to start all over again, otherwise you might just want to finish it in the UK

The choice is yours guv'nor.

Last edited by mickj; Mar 24th 2004 at 10:42 am.

Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.
London school of economics (LSE) This school has a great reputation, people like George Soro went there..................

So the UK.................
Old Mar 24th 2004, 10:13 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Mick,

No those UK prices are provincial MBA's not the high flying all singing all dancing dogs knackers London version !!!

Good enough for me though. I might not be an archetypal northern thickie but I'm not Einstein either :-)

Rich.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I could finish the thing in 12 months all told working flat out at it.
I thought MBA's were taught how to make good decisions! Finish it in the UK, it will be faster and cheaper and you'll have it ready by the time your PR is approved. You are faced with unknown risk in Canada: admission for a start. You have already been admitted to a school in the UK.

Recruitment at MBA level is different. I am going to go out on a limb and say that for proper companies recruiting MBA candidates, international experience is more valuable than Canadian experience.