Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Poll - "To and Fro"

View Poll Results: How many moves back and forth?
To Canada (Settled, never returning to UK)
65.85%
To Canada - back to UK (Settled, never returning to Canada)
7.32%
To Canada - back to UK - back to Canada (Settled, never returning to UK)
2.44%
Still moving to and fro (lost count, unsettled & undecided)
24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - "To and Fro"

Old May 24th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Default Poll - "To and Fro"

This poll is trying to establish move success rates and in particular how many times people end up moving before deciding where they really want to be.

For example, you may have longed to emigrate to Canada for years and years thinking the grass is greener and until you finally do it, you realise you want to return home and do just that.

On the other hand, you may make the move, return home and then realise your mistake and return back to Canada and settle with peace of mind.

Feel free to add comments to your vote adding a little detail to why you voted that way, but please keep it brief. The stats are what I'm mainly interested in.

Last edited by welshmountie; May 24th 2007 at 10:37 am.
Old May 24th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Poll - "To and Fro"

You've missed a scenario - FROM Canada ... TO Canada ...

I was born in Canada, moved to the UK when I was 10, became a citizen after 15 years, moved back to Canada with my British husband 8 months ago...never say never, but I'm really settled.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
You've missed a scenario - FROM Canada ... TO Canada ...

I was born in Canada, moved to the UK when I was 10, became a citizen after 15 years, moved back to Canada with my British husband 8 months ago...never say never, but I'm really settled.
Good point although I was really hoping to get it from a UK national's perspective. Cause I'm a UK citizen who is confused. Worth noting though and if I could change the poll somehow I would add it for Canadians leaving. Perhaps the opportunity for another poll from your perspective?
Old May 24th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

It also needs a "Moved to Canada, still in Canada, not moved back to the UK but still feeling unsettled".

I'd have ticked that box.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stepnek
It also needs a "Moved to Canada, still in Canada, not moved back to the UK but still feeling unsettled".

I'd have ticked that box.
I suppose, so I guess you are a candidate for moving back to the UK.

I guess the message I'd looked to put out is that if you are in this boat and seeing yourself unsettled and likely (but haven't yet) to move back either to the UK or Canada, tick the closest match.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What about people who move to Canada and then on to the US?
Old May 24th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about people who move to Canada and then on to the US?
Agreed, the combinations are endless, but was only interested in the Can<->UK link. I guess a poll of such could go in the US forum? Interesting though that some may consider the US more attractive than Canada.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:39 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

What about To Canada - back to UK - back to Canada - back to UK but may return again later?

..oh that'd be number 4 then! Ignore me, just trying to cause trouble
Old May 24th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bleech
What about To Canada - back to UK - back to Canada - back to UK but may return again later?
Oh no, seemed to have dug a deep hole. I guess the answer to your question would be that the last option should be chosen.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We have moved to Canada, we love it here - we have no intention on going back to UK - but never say never, you just don't know what is round the corner. I would be very dissapointed to go back, because that would mean it has all gone wrong here...
Old May 24th 2007, 2:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We have moved to Canada, we love it here - we have no intention on going back to UK - but never say never, you just don't know what is round the corner. I would be very dissapointed to go back, because that would mean it has all gone wrong here...
I think after 44 years here, a fantastic Canadian wife, two boys, three grand children it is fairly safe to assume I am NOT going back.

Last edited by Steve_P; May 24th 2007 at 2:53 pm.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I think after 44 years here, a fantastic Canadian wife, two boys, three grand children it is fairly safe to assume I am NOT going back.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/bran...7520/brand.gif

I think it's pretty safe to say your here for life too
Old May 25th 2007, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

So far it looks like the overwhelming vote is that people settle in Canada fairly well. Keep the votes coming.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by welshmountie
So far it looks like the overwhelming vote is that people settle in Canada fairly well. Keep the votes coming.
Me to. I cant imagine having to go back to the UK. Other than catching up with family when i went back in Jan i could not wait to get back home (canada) again.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I think after 44 years here, a fantastic Canadian wife, two boys, three grand children it is fairly safe to assume I am NOT going back. :
But that is exactly why this is comfortable for you - your wife, and her family presumably, are Canadian. You have a family here. I know many Brits here and in Australia that have done the same thing and are very happy with their new families.
-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.