Reload this Page >

Police Officer moving to Canada

Police Officer moving to Canada

Old Aug 26th 2020, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Conrad27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Officer moving to Canada

Hi All,

I’ve no doubt that this has been asked before, me and my partner want to move to Canada in the next couple of years, I’m a serving police officer in the U.K. at the minute and I really would like to move my career over to the other side of the pond. Is there any advice from anyone who have made the leap And know anything about it the process.

I am aware that all forces need a PR visa to apply, is there any police services that accept U.K. officers? I would like to avoid waiting 3/5 years before I pick up my career again. Any hints or help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Con
Old Aug 26th 2020, 5:45 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Officer moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Conrad27
Hi All,
Hi

I’ve no doubt that this has been asked before, me and my partner want to move to Canada in the next couple of years, I’m a serving police officer in the U.K. at the minute and I really would like to move my career over to the other side of the pond. Is there any advice from anyone who have made the leap And know anything about it the process.

I am aware that all forces need a PR visa to apply, is there any police services that accept U.K. officers? I would like to avoid waiting 3/5 years before I pick up my career again. Any hints or help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Con
1. At the present time, there doesn't appear to be any local police forces doing any international recruitment.
2. Have you checked to see if you qualify for Immigration under express entry? See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...try/works.html
3. Check your points without getting a language test score yourself high in English, determine what your education is equivalent to as well, to determine if you would get about 470 points to Receive and Invitation to apply.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Antwerp_Belgian is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar question by a Police Officer wanting to obtain permanent residency in Canada can be found here:
Uk Police Officer gaining Permanent Residency in Canada
Old Aug 28th 2020, 1:53 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I saw on the telly that the OPP are recruiting as are Cobourg Police. This is Ontario.
​​
Old Aug 28th 2020, 4:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I saw on the telly that the OPP are recruiting as are Cobourg Police. This is Ontario.
​​
Not for International Applicants - https://www.opp.ca/index.php?id=115&...f5c28d17d#sec1 Minimum qualifications (prerequisites)
Old Aug 28th 2020, 5:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not for International Applicants - https://www.opp.ca/index.php?id=115&...f5c28d17d#sec1 Minimum qualifications (prerequisites)
so? They're looking for information which is on the OPP careers page. They didn't say they want to apply from Britain, they know they need PR.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

I do recall when I worked in Canada meeting 2 RCMP officers who were ex British Service policemen (1 x Navy and 1 x WRAF); both were married to Canadians (perhaps it was this that got them into the country), 1 worked at the RCMP station near Wainwright, the other at Calgary Airport. I just checked out LinkedIn and a quick search revealed some officers were on there, maybe worthwhile a look.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Pingpong2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I went through the process in 2002 and joined an Ontario force after 10 years in the UK police, I returned to U.K. police after 7 years For family reasons but in the process of moving back To Canada when I retire next year. I had my PR process running whilst I applied to Ontario forces which required 2 trips over in the process for testing and interviews before I got my job offer. Whole PR process took about 2 years back then. More than happy to discuss if you want to DM me, albeit my experience is 17/18 years ago now so not sure what the current process is for getting your PR or recruiting U.K. officers
Old Aug 28th 2020, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cynic
I do recall when I worked in Canada meeting 2 RCMP officers who were ex British Service policemen (1 x Navy and 1 x WRAF); both were married to Canadians (perhaps it was this that got them into the country), 1 worked at the RCMP station near Wainwright, the other at Calgary Airport. I just checked out LinkedIn and a quick search revealed some officers were on there, maybe worthwhile a look.
Ill check out LinkedIn, thanks for your reply
Old Aug 28th 2020, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

thanks! I’ll give that a read
Old Aug 28th 2020, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pingpong2021
Hi,

I went through the process in 2002 and joined an Ontario force after 10 years in the UK police, I returned to U.K. police after 7 years For family reasons but in the process of moving back To Canada when I retire next year. I had my PR process running whilst I applied to Ontario forces which required 2 trips over in the process for testing and interviews before I got my job offer. Whole PR process took about 2 years back then. More than happy to discuss if you want to DM me, albeit my experience is 17/18 years ago now so not sure what the current process is for getting your PR or recruiting U.K. officers

I’ll drop you a DM soon, thanks for the offer of advice, I need all I can get at this stage, I appreciate it, speak soon!
Old Aug 29th 2020, 2:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Conrad27
thanks! I’ll give that a read
Suggest you look at this too
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I am a UK Police Officer and already have PR status. I can confirm that it is pretty much impossible to transfer into any Canadian police service as a UK officer, even with PR.

Those opportunities are long gone.
Furthermore, services now normally require a minimum time of residency before you can even apply. So PR in itself doesn't even solve matters.

Additionally, jobs in police services (like the UK) are competitive. The only option you have (like what we did) was to apply for PR, go through the process, look to move over if successful, wait x amount of years and then apply to join a police service. A big risk many will no doubt will not be willing to make and the option is very much dependent on your skills and experience available to you outside of the policing environment which you can make use of whilst waiting.

Not what you want to hear but there's no point setting incorrect expectations in the current environement. Hope that helps.

Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention, once you have PR, you could also look at community peace officer roles / bylaw officer / special constable (paid) positions, but they require fitness tests, Canadian first aid, and normally a Canadian diploma in criminal justice / policing / similar which cover Canadian legislation. Again, a competitive role where there are plenty of Canadians already qualified to apply. An option if you did move. But again, a big risk to take.

Old Sep 9th 2020, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Pingpong2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
I forgot to mention, once you have PR, you could also look at community peace officer roles / bylaw officer / special constable (paid) positions, but they require fitness tests, Canadian first aid, and normally a Canadian diploma in criminal justice / policing / similar which cover Canadian legislation. Again, a competitive role where there are plenty of Canadians already qualified to apply. An option if you did move. But again, a big risk to take.
Yes when I was doing my testing in Toronto in 2002, that same week the Police review magazine ran an article called Canada calling. The recruitment guy told me they had over 2000 calls from U.K. officers. For the next 3-4 years 100’s from the U.K. moved to Toronto Calgary and Edmonton in the main. With unemployment high now in Canada and their own furlough scheme ending I would imagine the demand for every officer roles advertised will be at all time high. If you can afford to come over, get some Canadian work experience you will be in a better position or wait a few more years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.