Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Police check / background check

Police check / background check

Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police check / background check

Hello I've been asked by a company in Canada to submit a criminal background check from the country i live in the u k . Can anyone advise me how i go about this do I need to contact Scotland Yard!this would be my personal info so I'm right in thinking the police would need to carry this out all help would be appreciated ...
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police check / background check

Originally Posted by deerhunter74
Hello I've been asked by a company in Canada to submit a criminal background check from the country i live in the u k . Can anyone advise me how i go about this do I need to contact Scotland Yard!this would be my personal info so I'm right in thinking the police would need to carry this out all help would be appreciated ...
http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

HTH.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2014, 11:06 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Hi

Sorry but ACPO police certificates are not valid for work purposes, only for immigration. You need to apply via Disclosure Scotland for a UK police check for employment purposes.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Have you got any information to back up your claim that Acpo Certs aren't accepted for work purposes.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
Sorry but ACPO police certificates are not valid for work purposes, only for immigration. You need to apply via Disclosure Scotland for a UK police check for employment purposes.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/
DBS won't send certificates abroad, plus for the proof of identity documents they'll only accept UK proof (i.e. mortgage statement, credit card statement, utility bill etc, have to be with a UK address on them).

An ACPO is fine for employment purposes (very unlikely a Canadian employer would have a clue what it is anyway!) and unless the OP has lived in the UK recently, has proof of that, and is happy for his cert to be sent to a UK address, is a much easier option. I'm assuming that the OP is in Canada though, it may be that he's still in the UK, in which case either would do!

HTH.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Some support info

FAQ Section

Can I use the ACRO Police Certificate for employment purposes or for security checks?
No, the ACRO Police Certificate can only be used for submission to the relevant Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or other organisation.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by britsnake
Can I use the ACRO Police Certificate for employment purposes or for security checks?
No, the ACRO Police Certificate can only be used for submission to the relevant Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or other organisation.
Yes, but how would the employer know that?! They'll see a police cert with 'no trace' on it (presumably), and be happy that the OP doesn't have a criminal record.

In any event, unless the OP is in the UK now, or has very recently UK documentation and an address he can still use, there is no other option that I can see.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a Subject Access check done on yourself; these are not accepted for employent purposes in the UK. The resukt can be sent to you wherever you are in the world, and shows what is on UK police files.

http://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx The SAR1 form on the link is the form you need
Old Mar 21st 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

I'm still in the uk and in the process of downloading the application forums from the first link page '
Old Mar 21st 2014, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm still in the uk and in the process of downloading the application forums from the first link page '
Oh, well if you're still in the UK then you have a lot more options!

Good luck with it, fingers crossed you get the job.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

All of our camps have been quite happy to accept ACROs from British participants
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:48 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Both my employers have been happy with my out of date ACRO.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:07 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
DBS won't send certificates abroad, plus for the proof of identity documents they'll only accept UK proof (i.e. mortgage statement, credit card statement, utility bill etc, have to be with a UK address on them).

An ACPO is fine for employment purposes (very unlikely a Canadian employer would have a clue what it is anyway!) and unless the OP has lived in the UK recently, has proof of that, and is happy for his cert to be sent to a UK address, is a much easier option. I'm assuming that the OP is in Canada though, it may be that he's still in the UK, in which case either would do!

HTH.
Disclosure Scotland does indeed have issues with sending to foreign addresses as they will only use surface mail which takes weeks. You can get them to send to UK address. You do need evidence with your last UK address on it.

Not all employers will accept acpo and some will know the difference. To work for a Canadian company which requires a security clearance you will be expected to get a Disclosure Scotland certificate for the first part of clearance. There is no getting out of it, so you have to sit on Disclosure Scotland to get it done within a reasonable time frame.

I got Disclosure Scotland to send my certificate with my Canadian address on it to a UK address. Takes a lot of phone calls but can be done.

Last edited by JB0591; Mar 22nd 2014 at 3:17 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
Disclosure Scotland does indeed have issues with sending to foreign addresses as they will only use surface mail which takes weeks. You can get them to send to UK address. You do need evidence with your last UK address on it.

Not all employers will accept acpo and some will know the difference. To work for a Canadian company which requires a security clearance you will be expected to get a Disclosure Scotland certificate for the first part of clearance. There is no getting out of it, so you have to sit on Disclosure Scotland to get it done within a reasonable time frame.

I got Disclosure Scotland to send my certificate with my Canadian address on it to a UK address. Takes a lot of phone calls but can be done.
Subject Access checks can be sent to addresses abroad, and the contain largely the same info as an enhanced CRB or an ACPO migration check.
The advantage is that you don't have to say anything about employers, or why you want the check. You can request it just because you want to know what is on file against you. But as far as a new employer abroad is concerned it is a UK police check.

once you get to serious security checks of course everything is more complex - my boss abandoned the idea of security checking me when he found it could cost over $3000 and take 4 years!

oh for the good old days when it was that one check used for everything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.