Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Police - Canada v UK - views

Police - Canada v UK - views

Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice
Default Re: Police - Canada v UK - views

Originally Posted by Gezza
If you live in Vancouver you will also know that they do a very poor job of controling the East Hasting Street - I am afraid I do not have words to describe this area because I had not seen anything like this in U.K. in the 20 years I have been here.

However having been pulled up 3 times for various minor offences in BC I had consitently managed to get out of paying any fines. I found that Canadian road police are more prepared to HEAR what one has to say and respond well to polite persuasion. And that the policewomen appear more "female" or are in fact attractive at times.

If you bring in your British cocky attitude you will get fined. Like one of my friends who in reply to the policeman's question wheather the automobile he was pulled up in was his own said: Why? Isn't the one you drive yours?
He paid some $400 for the enjoyment!

On the contrary ,I would say East Hastings is a deliberate policy of controlled containment of these poor souls.
I was down there yesterday, never had a problem with these guys. Most of them are more a threat to themselves.
On the other hand Kings X London is/was a violent dangerous place with a similar profile of human dysfunction, (along with most city/town centres in UK)
I would agree with your police comment, from my experiences the average cop here has far better social skill than their British colleagues and are better able to deal with situations rather than get aggresive and escalate the situation.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
........ I thought for a moment you were talking about the NHS there ..... you might have well have been!
Nuff said, thats why me missus is leaving the NHS and doing the physio thing in Alberta
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hudman
On the contrary ,I would say East Hastings is a deliberate policy of controlled containment of these poor souls.
I was down there yesterday, never had a problem with these guys. Most of them are more a threat to themselves.
On the other hand Kings X London is/was a violent dangerous place with a similar profile of human dysfunction, (along with most city/town centres in UK)
I would agree with your police comment, from my experiences the average cop here has far better social skill than their British colleagues and are better able to deal with situations rather than get aggresive and escalate the situation.
East Hasting street was just a very distressing spectacle I had to drive through twice a day.Really a social catastrophy. Why the BC government maintains the status quo there is beyond me.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsb
Nice point about time and resources That must make a hell of a diff to the attitude of an officer, (for the good i am sure) You not thougt about going back into the line ?
Had a good hard think about it especially with PR taking so long and Edmonton desperate (they would have to be ) for Cops but at the end of the day 20yrs was probably enough and a change would be good.
Stuarty
Old Aug 1st 2006, 6:43 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
So if you were drunk driving should he have found something better to do as well?

Poor guy, its only been the law since what, 1980? These old people cant be expected to keep up with current events.
Your obviously an understanding kind of person Iain So if you have a little dementia later in life and forget something you won't mind being treated the same as you were when you were 30 then
Old Aug 1st 2006, 6:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Your obviously an understanding kind of person Iain So if you have a little dementia later in life and forget something you won't mind being treated the same as you were when you were 30 then
Hey, I dont know the details. Maybe he was a serial offender and this was the third time that week he was pulled over? Im not going to second guess the cop, their job is hard enough already. Maybe he mouthed of a la Mel Gibson, who knows?

If he has dimentia, maybe he shouldnt be driving at all? Or maybe he can use that to get off the ticket in court.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 6:59 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Hey, I dont know the details. Maybe he was a serial offender and this was the third time that week he was pulled over? Im not going to second guess the cop, their job is hard enough already. Maybe he mouthed of a la Mel Gibson, who knows?

If he has dimentia, maybe he shouldnt be driving at all? Or maybe he can use that to get off the ticket in court.
Look, it was just an example really and maybe I should have compared it to something else; for example a year or so ago they made it illegal to be on the mobile phone while driving, this is a far easier offence to spot than a seatbelt not on and yet they either ignore these offences or just warn drivers, that in my opinion is crazy because I think the phone is a much worse offence as it causes danger to others as well as yourself. Consistency and common sense wouldn't go amiss now and then.
Also, I was assaulted around 6 months ago outside the local post office and ended up with a bloody face and in the A&E Hospital Unit for 3 hours but did the Police find the culprits or even try to, I don't think so
Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Look, it was just an example really and maybe I should have compared it to something else; for example a year or so ago they made it illegal to be on the mobile phone while driving, this is a far easier offence to spot than a seatbelt not on and yet they either ignore these offences or just warn drivers, that in my opinion is crazy because I think the phone is a much worse offence as it causes danger to others as well as yourself. Consistency and common sense wouldn't go amiss now and then.
Also, I was assaulted around 6 months ago outside the local post office and ended up with a bloody face and in the A&E Hospital Unit for 3 hours but did the Police find the culprits or even try to, I don't think so
You can make these kind of generalisations based on your limited experience about any occupation....teachers, mechanics, plumbers, politicians, retail workers, call centre staff, customs officials, electicians, traffic wardens, social workers, solicitors, judges, refuse collectors, etc etc.

There are people that care about what they do and some that don't.....there are people that are good at their job and there are some that aren't. This is true of any occupation in any Country.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:40 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately this is the sad indictment of our times, sorry to hear your story but this is one of many. some people say they are not interested in our explanations regarding poor staffing, increased call outs and a graded repines system which means we tend to only get to critical incidents whilst other quite worthy if not so urgent situations get left. what I'd say is remember who you voted for, they are ultimately responsible and you have a part to play in the democratic process.
to put this into context, GMP has had a 25 million, yes million, pound budget cut, there is talk of police redundancies and already units such as traffic, mounted and the dog sections are being downsized. we are currently experiencing something like a 200% increase in incidents reported since the last study 10yrs ago(HMIC), yet the staffing levels are similar. more bobbies on the street, tough on crime, don't believe a word.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:59 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
You can make these kind of generalisations based on your limited experience about any occupation....teachers, mechanics, plumbers, politicians, retail workers, call centre staff, customs officials, electicians, traffic wardens, social workers, solicitors, judges, refuse collectors, etc etc.

There are people that care about what they do and some that don't.....there are people that are good at their job and there are some that aren't. This is true of any occupation in any Country.
These are not generalisations, they are fact based upon experience in our area.

And yes, there are people who care about what they do in their jobs and those that don't but ultimately an organisation wherever and whatever it is is only as good as the leaders that are at the top, because it is their influence that governs what the organisation achieves; and that goes for any public company, education in schools, care in the health service and the police force.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:55 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rae
unfortunately this is the sad indictment of our times, sorry to hear your story but this is one of many. some people say they are not interested in our explanations regarding poor staffing, increased call outs and a graded repines system which means we tend to only get to critical incidents whilst other quite worthy if not so urgent situations get left. what I'd say is remember who you voted for, they are ultimately responsible and you have a part to play in the democratic process.
to put this into context, GMP has had a 25 million, yes million, pound budget cut, there is talk of police redundancies and already units such as traffic, mounted and the dog sections are being downsized. we are currently experiencing something like a 200% increase in incidents reported since the last study 10yrs ago(HMIC), yet the staffing levels are similar. more bobbies on the street, tough on crime, don't believe a word.
That's amazing... I was under the impression that country-wide, Blair's monsoon of public cash meant that every police force in the country was enjoying writing blank cheques to their recruiters.

Testament to the sly b*stards' ability to manipulate the facts I'm sure. Can't really blame the government when they're 'increasing' the numbers of police yet crime keeps rising...

Goddamn it I hate my government....
Old Aug 1st 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

These are not generalisations, they are fact based upon experience in our area.

And yes, there are people who care about what they do in their jobs and those that don't but ultimately an organisation wherever and whatever it is is only as good as the leaders that are at the top, because it is their influence that governs what the organisation achieves; and that goes for any public company, education in schools, care in the health service and the police force.
Well obviously there is fact in there because you said it happened to you

So you are basically stating your own or friends experiences and not suggesting that this is typical of every officer, station or force. Then I have no argument with that.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterb
in the last 2 months I have been given a ticket for using a mobile in my car, (Whether you think I deserve a ticket or not is a matter for you), the Police Officer was only too happy to report me for it. He was in London, and surely had "better things to do".
Wish they'd do that more here in Canada. The number of times I've nearly been side-swiped by dippy drivers on cellphones at the wheel of huge trucks because half the tiny brain is used to gossip while the remaining half of tiny brain isn't up to the complex 3D modeling skills required to drive a heavy vehicle.

K.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:15 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
That's amazing... I was under the impression that country-wide, Blair's monsoon of public cash meant that every police force in the country was enjoying writing blank cheques to their recruiters.

Testament to the sly b*stards' ability to manipulate the facts I'm sure. Can't really blame the government when they're 'increasing' the numbers of police yet crime keeps rising...

Goddamn it I hate my government....
Not wishing to disillusion you further but, ACPO, Home office recently released statements that they envisaged a fall in police numbers, from around 140,000 England and wales to around 123,000. some of these places will have PCSO's to substitute. all of this has been widely reported in local press like MEN, and trade mags like Police Review, but seems to escape national attention?
British crime survey, which the government must wish they said they didn't prefer as the most accurate, as its not longer recording drops but increases, violent crime particularly, one of many reasons i'm off, fed up of policing several thousand drunken idiots on Friday and Saturday with me and 4 PC's at best.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rae
Not wishing to disillusion you further but, ACPO, Home office recently released statements that they envisaged a fall in police numbers, from around 140,000 England and wales to around 123,000. some of these places will have PCSO's to substitute. all of this has been widely reported in local press like MEN, and trade mags like Police Review, but seems to escape national attention?
British crime survey, which the government must wish they said they didn't prefer as the most accurate, as its not longer recording drops but increases, violent crime particularly, one of many reasons i'm off, fed up of policing several thousand drunken idiots on Friday and Saturday with me and 4 PC's at best.
Well said Rae, community Wardens replacing cops here(politicians claim that they are in addition to the cops), cheaper but with no powers other than Common Law like ordinary citizens. MADNESS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.