Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pointers on house buying

Pointers on house buying

Old May 25th 2007, 12:22 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pointers on house buying

Ok, so we have been idly looking on all the house websites and seeing houses we genuinely think look great. What I am wary of, is making a poor housing choice because we are so unfamiliar with the climate, heating costs etc. When we moved to NZ we were charmed by an old do-up and have spent 4 years living a nightmare!! Cold, always broke, nothing ever finished - you get the drift! So this time around we are going to get a house that just needs some paint and not much else...........famous last words of course!

So I want to know what heating is best, what is heating a house in -20 like? And what things were really great and what to avoid.

I am attracted to an acre or more, which most often is drilled well and septic...........how does that work and would you recommend municipal for simple ease?

Also wanting a small dog when we get there - are there any issues with dogs being able to be off the lead, being fenced in etc, etc (in NZ there are restrictions because of ground dwelling birds such as the kiwi).

Any thoughts and stories very welcome!!!!! Moving to Nova Scotia, if not clear from user title!

Rachel x
Old May 25th 2007, 12:40 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pointers on house buying

It depends on the acreage as to wether you have Municipal water. A lot of the ones around here do, but I guess the further away from the major towns and cities you go, then it becomes wells and sceptic tanks.

As for heating, ours uses forced air through vents. Instant heat, but also instant shut off too. ! No retained heat in radiators like the UK. We also have a wood burning stove in the basement (we have a bi-level) which is a lovely heat source, but wood can be pricey unless you know a man who can !!!!

Our home is fairly new, so no issues of having trouble keeping it warm. Just expense !!!
Old May 25th 2007, 12:48 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

So would you have your wood burner going all day and can it effectively heat the house too? And how much wood do you get through roughly and how much generally have you paid for wood over a winter?
Old May 25th 2007, 1:02 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Its a tricky one, as in an ideal world you would have the fire going all day to heat the whole house, but who wants to sit in all day to keep it going !!!!

I tend to rely on the heating, until mid afternoon, when I know I'll be around, then its over to the fire to keep the house warm for the rest of the day/evening.

It works well in our house, as our family room in the basement is where we watch TV in the evenings, and the fire keeps that snug and warm, yet upstairs where the kids bedrooms are isn't overly hot for them.

Hard to say how much it costs us to run, but we have had 2 orders of wood this winter, at approx $230 a go, but we still have some left. Like I said, we use it as a secondary heat source, so still have gas bills too.!
Old May 25th 2007, 1:05 am
NS covern member #1

Well that is great info to know - thanks for that. We love woodburners and the thought of a cosy family room and a real woodburner is great, though the mess and ash isnt such a thrill!

That gives me some idea though, thanks.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:30 am
sticky beaking

You know, it really isn't that messy either. Its an enclosed unit, and you just pull a plug to empty the ash into a container underneath. Simple ! Has to be for me !
I love my fire. So cosy on a winters evening when the snow is piling up in drifts outside the front door.......................still fancy Canada ?????
Old May 25th 2007, 2:05 am
NS covern member #1

Yes! Because of just that. Sounds great, warm and cosy, sitting around sipping Hot chocolate, in my pj's whilst my children play Star Wars Monopoly - they do sell good trashy magazines there dont they??
Old May 25th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

third time lucky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Ok, so we have been idly looking on all the house websites and seeing houses we genuinely think look great. What I am wary of, is making a poor housing choice because we are so unfamiliar with the climate, heating costs etc. When we moved to NZ we were charmed by an old do-up and have spent 4 years living a nightmare!! Cold, always broke, nothing ever finished - you get the drift! So this time around we are going to get a house that just needs some paint and not much else...........famous last words of course!

So I want to know what heating is best, what is heating a house in -20 like? And what things were really great and what to avoid.

I am attracted to an acre or more, which most often is drilled well and septic...........how does that work and would you recommend municipal for simple ease?

Also wanting a small dog when we get there - are there any issues with dogs being able to be off the lead, being fenced in etc, etc (in NZ there are restrictions because of ground dwelling birds such as the kiwi).

Any thoughts and stories very welcome!!!!! Moving to Nova Scotia, if not clear from user title!

Rachel x
Hello Poppy 2,
Many, many houses in rural NS are heated by wood. Everything from wood fired external "furnaces", basement furnaces, air tight stoves, fireplace inserts, open fireplaces and pellet stoves.
An important factor is the insulation in the house. some have none at all,
others may have UFFI (urea formalahyde foam insulation) and some may have blown in insulation or even a major redo with fiberglass in the walls and
attic.
Certainly the state of the windows and doors, how well they fit and are they double glazed are important factors.
The second main heating source is oil, and some places are heated by electricity, ( a special rate from NS Power).
I think most older houses will have a combination of some or all of the various options.
All these factors have to be looked at when looking at the house.
Is it OK as is, or what will it cost to bring it up to your standard?
Your realator should be able to help with these considerations, but remember-- if you don't ask, the information will probably not be offered!!
Old May 25th 2007, 12:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by third time lucky
Hello Poppy 2,
Many, many houses in rural NS are heated by wood. Everything from wood fired external "furnaces", basement furnaces, air tight stoves, fireplace inserts, open fireplaces and pellet stoves.
An important factor is the insulation in the house. some have none at all,
others may have UFFI (urea formalahyde foam insulation) and some may have blown in insulation or even a major redo with fiberglass in the walls and
attic.
Certainly the state of the windows and doors, how well they fit and are they double glazed are important factors.
The second main heating source is oil, and some places are heated by electricity, ( a special rate from NS Power).
I think most older houses will have a combination of some or all of the various options.
All these factors have to be looked at when looking at the house.
Is it OK as is, or what will it cost to bring it up to your standard?
Your realator should be able to help with these considerations, but remember-- if you don't ask, the information will probably not be offered!!
If a house has UFFI, run like hell.
Old May 25th 2007, 4:30 pm
NS covern member #1

Why run like hell if UFFI??

So clearly the better the insulation and the better the double glazing = the more cost effective means of heating the house. And with the more modern homes of the last 10 years of so, are they generally the better buy for having these things already??

Any thoughts on drilled wells and septic tanks?
Old May 25th 2007, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

So clearly the better the insulation and the better the double glazing = the more cost effective means of heating the house. And with the more modern homes of the last 10 years of so, are they generally the better buy for having these things already??

Any thoughts on drilled wells and septic tanks?
hi Poppy 2,
Houses in rural NS will more than likely have a septic system and a well.
The well may be either a dug well (dug with a backhoe, then lined with 4ft
concrete liner), as a shallow well or a drilled well which may be either
deep or shallow. If the septic system is on good order with good drainage, then it should be trouble free. These systems have been in use for many years and seldom need replacing. The well is rated at GPM (gallons per minute) and the water has to be tested by law when a property is sold.
This is only testing for certain types of bacteria, not for clarity or quantity.
I would think most towns have a municipal water and sewage system.
I thunk it usually says on the real estate listing what the sewer and water are.
A lot of people here have dogs. Some houses have a fenced in backyard
and, to their shame, some people have their dog tied to a clothsline or other
anchor. Dogs off leash are usually OK as long as you use your common sense.
Newer homes are probably more efficient. Some older homes have been
done up, so they may be better than they were prior to the makeover.
A lot depends on where in NS you were interested in living.
I'm partial to the Annapolis Valley. It has everything we want, but may not suit all. My daughter has two children (10 & 3). She is a nurse at the Valley Regional Hospital in Kentville and really likes it there. Quite good for facilities
and only an hour from Halifax. Also one of the best climates in the province
is to be found in the valley.
Old May 25th 2007, 5:26 pm

Ask a realtor. Or a mortgage broker.
Old May 25th 2007, 5:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

UFFI = Urea-Formaldehyde Foam Insulation

Haven't we been here before?

Read from post #16 on down in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441615

Cheers
Steve
Old May 25th 2007, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
UFFI = Urea-Formaldehyde Foam Insulation

Haven't we been here before?
Yes. Some subjects are like herpes.
Old May 25th 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Ask a realtor. Or a mortgage broker.
Years ago UFFI was sprayed into the wall cavity as a form of foam insulation.
In some cases, fumes seeped into the house. these were found to be an irritant or worse, possibly cancer causing. After all these years, the fumes have dissappeared and some experts claim it is no longer a health risk.
It is very costly to have it removed and in some cases, you cannot get a mortgage on the property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.