Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

plumbing & heating jobs in Alberta

plumbing & heating jobs in Alberta

Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice
Default plumbing & heating jobs in Alberta

Hello
I just wondered if anyone could give me an idea of the average salary of a plumber, gas fitter in Alberta, my husband has 27 years experience, fully qualified, with own business etc, we have looked at plumbing jobs in Canada and they don't seem to pay very well compared to UK.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plumbing & heating jobs in Alberta

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537233

... and Google "Red Seal" for plumbing. Gaining recognition and equivalencies may prove challenging and time-consuming. And maybe worth it, depending on what you are seeking from a move here ...

Hopefully, some more answers will be forthcoming soon
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

gas plumbing is a lot different over here you get your b ticket when you pass your plumbing red seal and thet is very hard, money is $35 per hour whiich is about 24 pounds per hour + 10% holiday pay, pnp (provicial nomination program) is not much happening at the moment but things will soon pick up when they start building in oil sand and more demand for plumbers where i am working we are short of journymen but recruiting from canada, another thing is a lot of things are cheaper here gas electric and petrol, we are in calgary
peter the plumber
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice
Smile Re: plumbing & heating jobs in Alberta

Originally Posted by pacepeter
gas plumbing is a lot different over here you get your b ticket when you pass your plumbing red seal and thet is very hard, money is $35 per hour whiich is about 24 pounds per hour + 10% holiday pay, pnp (provicial nomination program) is not much happening at the moment but things will soon pick up when they start building in oil sand and more demand for plumbers where i am working we are short of journymen but recruiting from canada, another thing is a lot of things are cheaper here gas electric and petrol, we are in calgary
peter the plumber
Thank you very much Peter for the info. It seems a very low wage for a plumber/gas fitter compared to England, but as you say if the cost of living is lower over there, then it evens itself out.
We have our permanent residencey visas and are planning a visit in June to get those stamped and then hopefully move over by the end of this year. We are looking to settle in the Red Deer area - possibly Sylvan Lake? any advice on that??
I wonder if you could explain a little more about the Red Seal examination ( our imigration consultants have told us not to worry about that at the moment until getting a job offer) but just wondered what the proceedure is with it?
Thanks again.....sorry so many questions
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537233

... and Google "Red Seal" for plumbing. Gaining recognition and equivalencies may prove challenging and time-consuming. And maybe worth it, depending on what you are seeking from a move here ...

Hopefully, some more answers will be forthcoming soon
Thank you Ann
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

635675408 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im from Calgary area but know the province well. Cant speak of the plumbing conserns much, but as far as location i can add this. Red Deer is a great little city with a lot of upswing. Always seems to be busy with reasonable housing prices (mls.ca is a good site to scope what you can get). Sylvan Lake is a resort town with out of this world housing prices, shocking really. Very busy in the summer months (june-Sep) and a ghost town in the winter. Lots of people building cabins and resorts but the slight down turn in the economy may have slowed it down a little. I think as a new-comer Red Deer would be a safer bet. Sylvan lake is a short drive and you can scope it out from Red Deer. Sometimes small towns are harder to set up shop in as the locals already go with who they know. Good Luck Chris
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Alberta (Calgary) construction is in recession non of the major players are busy layoffs are plenty full right now. The low margins that drove the last 18 months of false growth are now playing out with worker lay offs. Oil sands work is all that's really happening not sure if you are Residential/commercial or industrial.

If you know about boilers theres always demand with service companies.

Calgary cannot sustain a level growth pattern its either boom or bust and the same can be said for Edmonton. Something about diversity may be the answer rather than reliance on oil.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 635675408
Im from Calgary area but know the province well. Cant speak of the plumbing conserns much, but as far as location i can add this. Red Deer is a great little city with a lot of upswing. Always seems to be busy with reasonable housing prices (mls.ca is a good site to scope what you can get). Sylvan Lake is a resort town with out of this world housing prices, shocking really. Very busy in the summer months (june-Sep) and a ghost town in the winter. Lots of people building cabins and resorts but the slight down turn in the economy may have slowed it down a little. I think as a new-comer Red Deer would be a safer bet. Sylvan lake is a short drive and you can scope it out from Red Deer. Sometimes small towns are harder to set up shop in as the locals already go with who they know. Good Luck Chris
Thanks for that Chris
When you say 'out of this world house prices' in Sylvan Lake do you mean unusually high or low??? Although most house prices in Canada seem low compared to UK prices!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Alberta (Calgary) construction is in recession non of the major players are busy layoffs are plenty full right now. The low margins that drove the last 18 months of false growth are now playing out with worker lay offs. Oil sands work is all that's really happening not sure if you are Residential/commercial or industrial.

If you know about boilers theres always demand with service companies.

Calgary cannot sustain a level growth pattern its either boom or bust and the same can be said for Edmonton. Something about diversity may be the answer rather than reliance on oil.
Thank you for the info, much appreciated
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

635675408 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marietuluse
Thanks for that Chris
When you say 'out of this world house prices' in Sylvan Lake do you mean unusually high or low??? Although most house prices in Canada seem low compared to UK prices!
Sorry, I ment high prices..homes near the lake with set you back 1 million plus $can. The only houses that are affordible to most are far away from the lake in the new devolopments. which begs the question why live in Sylvan Lake when you cant even see it. Housing prices are low comepared to UK at least they were a few years ago..I understand Uk housing has dropped a bit in the past few years and the Canadian market has been stable after big rises in prices the last few years. But once again go to mls.ca....go to the map and zero in on any community in Canada and it will show you what to expect to pay....roughly....Again Best Wishes... Chris
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marietuluse
It seems a very low wage for a plumber/gas fitter compared to England, but as you say if the cost of living is lower over there, then it evens itself out.
Might be worth doing a search of the forums for 'cost of living' to see other threads on the subject, there are loads including those where people have posted their exact outgoings which will give you a good idea of what to expect. General consensus is that the cost of living is about the same as in the UK (some things cheaper, some things more expensive so it evens out), but the threads will give you more detailed info so you can factor that in to your calculations.

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Might be worth doing a search of the forums for 'cost of living' to see other threads on the subject, there are loads including those where people have posted their exact outgoings which will give you a good idea of what to expect. General consensus is that the cost of living is about the same as in the UK (some things cheaper, some things more expensive so it evens out), but the threads will give you more detailed info so you can factor that in to your calculations.

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 635675408
Sorry, I ment high prices..homes near the lake with set you back 1 million plus $can. The only houses that are affordible to most are far away from the lake in the new devolopments. which begs the question why live in Sylvan Lake when you cant even see it. Housing prices are low comepared to UK at least they were a few years ago..I understand Uk housing has dropped a bit in the past few years and the Canadian market has been stable after big rises in prices the last few years. But once again go to mls.ca....go to the map and zero in on any community in Canada and it will show you what to expect to pay....roughly....Again Best Wishes... Chris
When we stayed in Sylvan Lake last year, it was actually the new developments we looked at and they still seem reasonably priced now. We actually stayed at Chateau suites overlooking the lake, which was beautiful, but far too noisy for us to want to live that close to the 'town centre'
Red Deer seemed very busy, but that could be because we live in a quiet village in England. Luckily we haven't seen a dramatic change in house prices in our area, I suppose it's like anywhere, depends where you live?
Your information is much appreciated, thanks for taking the time to comment.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Slightly different but we have just returned from Kelowna, My husband is a heating engineer (gas fitter) originally a plumber with all the relevant city and guilds and advanced craft domestic heating etc. We also had a good business. He challenged the red seal for Gas and passed so now has a canadian licence. The most he got offered pay wise was $24.00 We couldn't live on that no way.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Slightly different but we have just returned from Kelowna, My husband is a heating engineer (gas fitter) originally a plumber with all the relevant city and guilds and advanced craft domestic heating etc. We also had a good business. He challenged the red seal for Gas and passed so now has a canadian licence. The most he got offered pay wise was $24.00 We couldn't live on that no way.
I'd say mid 20's per hour was about average for employees in trades for this region.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.