Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Plumbers in canada

Plumbers in canada

Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

aaron80 is on a distinguished road
Default Plumbers in canada

hey was just wondering if there is anyone on here that has gone to canada from the u.k to be a plumber.

would like to know.....well i would like to know everything that you could tell me about doing this like, what type of work you are doing, if there are any diffrent things that they do that we don't, and where is the best place for this type of work.

cheers, Aaron.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbers in canada

Originally Posted by aaron80
hey was just wondering if there is anyone on here that has gone to canada from the u.k to be a plumber.

would like to know.....well i would like to know everything that you could tell me about doing this like, what type of work you are doing, if there are any diffrent things that they do that we don't, and where is the best place for this type of work.

cheers, Aaron.
There is a sub-forum on plumbers (go to the forum jump).

Plumbing is probably rather different than in the UK. I'm not a plumber but I can remove a Canadian bog and install a new one in about 30 minutes.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya

I would recommend googling "working in canada tool". I'm not sure of the exact link so if you google it, it will bring it up for you. This has a description of duties for a Plumber and also salary info and job opportunities etc.

Also, bear in mind that different provinces have different requirements that you must meet before you are able to work as a plumber.

Once you have a better idea of where you would like to move to etc we will have a better idea of the requirements etc.

Hope this helps

Linz
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

i'm hoping to move to the ottawa area, i have reserched stuff through the internet i just wanted to hear from people that have gone over and done it and how they got on with it and stuff, thanks for your help.

Aaron.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Souvy
There is a sub-forum on plumbers (go to the forum jump).

Plumbing is probably rather different than in the UK. I'm not a plumber but I can remove a Canadian bog and install a new one in about 30 minutes.
then your a plumber my firend....lol.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:25 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron80
then your a plumber my firend....lol.
No I'm not. Canadian bogs are a piece of piss.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

i hear there are tests and stuff you have to take with in the first 6 months of being there, is this true if you have a job working with a Company?, my girlfriend and I have only just started to look into this so apologies for all the questions i am asking.

so if you know anything at all about this subject i would love to hear all you have to say.

thanks

Aaron.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

You have to prove that you have at least 8430 + hours depending on where you are wanting to move to. Some ask for 9000 and 72 months of experience, others only ask for the 8430.

If you have this experience and it can be proved then you can apply for a Certificate of Qualification for the province that you are living in. Again, this varies from province to province. Once you have the Cert of Qual, we can apply to sit the exam for the Red Seal. Once passed, this allows you to work anywhere in Canada.

I believe that for Ontario, you have to prove a minimum of 9000 hours on top of your apprenticeship. Try www.edu.gov.on.ca for more info.

If you PM me your email address then i will email you the response that i had from the above web address - it has various links etc.

Linz
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:22 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by linz3112
Once passed, this allows you to work anywhere in Canada.
yeah we thought that as well, but not true, depends again on trade and province, some will allow other require you to sit it all again when you change province.........
this is the link for alberta -- http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...ex_content.asp

Only when you have been checked and been advised can you sit the exam, if you do not pass (the pass mark is 70% or above) then you get one more chance at it.......................
If you pass you are able to class yourself as a journeyman, without that most employers dont want to know