Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Plumber and Family and Saskatchwan

Plumber and Family and Saskatchwan

Old May 30th 2014, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisw84 will become famous soon enoughChrisw84 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Plumber and Family and Saskatchwan

There not so much as expensive. The question is can I buy what I need? Shipping them seperatley can cost a fortune. I was quoted by fedex for a 25kg tool box at £700! Needless yo say my stonecarving tools have stayed in enfland until my mother in law can bring them over in a few weeks time. Everything else ive been buying here. If you need a lot in one go ive been advised to go to minot in north dakota and buy tools there as there a bit cheaper but my boss who recently came back has said there arnt as many deals as last year.
Old May 30th 2014, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

rustrash is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. i better look into postage then to give me an idea then i can take it from there. there is a great place not far from where i am here that i could get a load of new tools for a good price but now if am just going to pay triple that to ship them.
Old May 31st 2014, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisw84
Whats your background?

Were tendering for the legialative building masonry work at the moment but the new football stadium is starti ng soon. So it could be that. Its a big firm with loads of aitea around the city so it could be anything
Hello mate

My background is residential and commercial new build , refurbishment and cut and carve.
Came off the tools 14 years ago now and have been working in site management since then with some of the well known UK construction companies.Looking forward to get involved with some of the big projects they have coming up over there.

How have you found the site management over there compared to the UK ?
Old May 31st 2014, 3:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rustrash
Thanks for that. i better look into postage then to give me an idea then i can take it from there. there is a great place not far from where i am here that i could get a load of new tools for a good price but now if am just going to pay triple that to ship them.
Use Air Transat Cargo - my son's friend (carpenter) bought 2 huge boxes of tools and equipment over a couple of years ago, same flight as he was on, I believe it cost him around £190.

Old May 31st 2014, 3:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I would buy power tools over here. They are generally good value compared to the UK and you will have less H&S issues as they will be CSA/UL approved. Bring your favourite / quality hand tools and buy locally to top up your tool set. Home Depot (or similar) carry a decent range of cheap DIY quality hand tools. It is hard to imagine that there will not be a Snap On man around somewhere when you need to buy professional grade tools.

You may be assessed sales tax and duty (depending on where they were made) on any professional tools you import. For customs purposes state the value of the tools "as is" second hand, not the cost or replacement value.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Chrisw84 will become famous soon enoughChrisw84 will become famous soon enough

Hello mate

My background is residential and commercial new build , refurbishment and cut and carve.
Came off the tools 14 years ago now and have been working in site management since then with some of the well known UK construction companies.Looking forward to get involved with some of the big projects they have coming up over there.

hey i've found it to be ok, but I'm only working for a one man band who finds letting control of jobs out of his reach a little to much to bear. so that is annoying a bit, I'm used to jobs of 1 million GBP and over to get stuck into, but were dealing with little farty projects that are done inside of a week. that added to every time it rains he wants a shut down. you and i know if that were the case back home nothing would get done, but trying to convince him otherwise is a different matter.

I'm sorry I'm hacking someone else's thread, maybe we should start another one???
Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisw84
Hello mate

hey i've found it to be ok, but I'm only working for a one man band who finds letting control of jobs out of his reach a little to much to bear. so that is annoying a bit, I'm used to jobs of 1 million GBP and over to get stuck into, but were dealing with little farty projects that are done inside of a week. that added to every time it rains he wants a shut down. you and i know if that were the case back home nothing would get done, but trying to convince him otherwise is a different matter.

I'm sorry I'm hacking someone else's thread, maybe we should start another one???
Agreed
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

george82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of light

looks like regina is a booming place just now as a plumber i may have a job offer to get me and the family over I've read the winters are colder than here but if theres no rain happy days. think I'm gonna just sell everything here and rebuy over there.coming from glasgow if all goes well i can't wait
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

Hi
George82

Are you taking the TWP route too? We are in Manchester and are finding ourselves in the same position as you. We have also heard that the winters are very cold but on the other hand the summers make up for it . Really wish you luck with your interview ... You must let us know how you get on.

Naomi
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

george82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure of the route but it's a 2 year contract that will lead to PR just hoping it all works out I will be sure to keep u guys updated and good luck with what u got going on.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 12:24 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

It's so funny to read a thread about people moving to Regina, when we came 7 years ago there were only 2 families on here moving to Sask. You are right about it booming but please don't tell too many people or it will end up like Alberta. :-)
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

So confirmed the route as a twp with the option for PR when I get there. Looks good to me just need a written offer and I'm off sooner the better.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george82
Looks good to me just need a written offer and I'm off sooner the better.
You missed a bit, you forgot to mention the LMO! The written offer's the easy bit.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

The lmo is already in place according to the company
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george82
The lmo is already in place according to the company
So they have a blanket LMO? That's unusual for a plumbing company, but they're obviously a very big one! You'll still need to be added to the LMO though, so you do need more than just a written letter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.