Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Plumber and Family and Saskatchwan

Plumber and Family and Saskatchwan

Old May 21st 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Plumber and Family and Saskatchwan

We are hoping to go over to Saskatchwan, my husband is a Plumber and hopefully will be starting as a Plumber Apprentice on a Temporary Work Permit.

Can anyone give me advice on where our family stands when it comes to financial assistance in the following areas ?

Medical Health Care?
Dental Care?
school / education ?
Housing ?

We will be arriving with enough funds for the first 6-12 months until we settle and become more financially stable.

also....... I also would be applying for my own work permit... will it be easy to find part time work in Saskatchwan ?

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks
Old May 21st 2014, 4:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumber and Family and Saskatchwan

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
We are hoping to go over to Saskatchwan, my husband is a Plumber and hopefully will be starting as a Plumber Apprentice on a Temporary Work Permit.

Can anyone give me advice on where our family stands when it comes to financial assistance in the following areas ?

Medical Health Care?
Dental Care?
school / education ?
Housing ?

We will be arriving with enough funds for the first 6-12 months until we settle and become more financially stable.

also....... I also would be applying for my own work permit... will it be easy to find part time work in Saskatchwan ?

Thanks
Would it not be easier for him to challenge the assessment exam based on previous work experience/qualifications?

Have you looked into the Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) program?

You would be entitled to healthcare with Saskatchewan but it doesn't cover medication: http://www.ehealthsask.ca/HealthRegi...igibility.aspx

Dental care is normally covered by a benefits package from employers.

You would not get any housing benefits.

Your children could attend school.

You would be able to claim tax credits and child benefit for your children after a qualifying period.

You may find this of use: http://krsp.wordpress.com/for-immigr...-for-benefits/

Old May 21st 2014, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your response we will take a look at the links you have so kindly provided xx
Old May 21st 2014, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your response we will take a look at the links you have so kindly provided xx
It's also worth looking at the Wiki, which has sections on healthcare, benefits, schooling etc, and so should answer most of your questions.

HTH.
Old May 21st 2014, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

The healthcare only counts from when you receive the card though, even if you qualify immediately. They wouldn't even look at my son without paying up front($800 just to look at), even though we qualified. Takes about 2 weeks to receive the card. Health insurance might be worth while even for that amount of time as you never know. Prescriptions are expensive $22 for standard antibiotics.

18 months wait to qualify for child tax benefit.

Plenty of jobs around. Places like Walmart, Tim Horton's and Home Depot are pretty good for taking SOWP people. Other employers can be more fussy.
Old May 21st 2014, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Oh god ... $800 !! Wow so expensive.

But as newcomers we can apply for a healthcare card which entitles our family to healthcare but we pay for prescriptions ... I'm i right ?

I'm glad there are jobs I can apply for , I'm am a teaching assistant here in the UK , but I don't think any school would employ me in Canada because my credentials are not recognised in Canada.

Thanks Naomi x
Old May 21st 2014, 10:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Medical Health Care?
Dental Care?
school / education ?
Housing ?

Thanks
An apprenticeship cannot be done on a TWP, only PR or Canadian's are eligible. If he has sufficient hours he can challenge the trades exam.

Some employers offer a benefits program after 3 months, a lot don't. Major dental work runs into thousands, one of my kids, she is older and does not have coverage, has just had to pay $2300. Dental is expensive.

Last edited by Aviator; May 21st 2014 at 10:49 pm.
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

dlparry is an unknown quantity at this point

whereabouts in saskatchewan are you hoping to move to? housing in regina for a 3 bed property varies between an apartment approx $1350 to over $2400 for a house in a really good area depending on where you want to live, outside of Regina (surrounding towns) are cheaper to rent but not as many available. dental care is expensive and health care is covered (you may have to wait before you can get a health card). you pay for the items on your prescription (not a standard fee) and an admin fee on top, sometimes part of it is covered by the government health but you may have to pay the rest depending.

to work with children or eldery and vulnerable people you will need a medical and police check beforehand (otherwise your work permit will have that restriction on it)

dental visits are expensive and most have long waiting list to register with them.

your employer may provide you with medical insurance cover or you can arrange your own (something like bluecross cover)

there is plenty of part time work but most of it is minimum wage or just over. check out saskjobs.ca for available jobs
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

We wanted to move around the Regina area and want to spend no more than $1200 per month ... we have enough to cover rent for 1 year or so.

Thanks I will do my homework on health insurance plan and see what is available through his future employer.

Finally do I get a Police and Medical check in the UK before I move over or do I apply for these checks in Canada ?

Thanks Naomi Nucky xx
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

dlparry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Naomi, for $1200 a month you will struggle to get a place in a decent area. You may want to be a little flexible with your budget. You say you have enough for approx 12 months and I presume you are bringing ur furniture with you? Bills are paid monthly here and u may want to look at properties that include certain bills in with it as, water in particular can be expensive. Have u budgeted for ur bills ? There is no tv unless u pay for it and the minimum is about $50 a month and then internet on top, bills on top of your rent will cost u around another $300-$400, and food shopping costs a lot more than the uk (although wages are higher so balance itself out). Also here u have to buy school equipment such as pens paper (everything but the textbooks basically) but there is no school uniforms

U will also need to factor in buying a car, u will pay over the odds for finances IF u can get it.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 22nd 2014 at 3:19 pm. Reason: Merged your 2 posts - you can always click on 'edit' if you want to add something within 2 hours of posting :)
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we hope to come over with our 3 children. And we may have to re think our budget somewhat too for the rental property... we don't plan on bringing furniture with us , we will either rent a place furnished .. or buy the basics like Bed .. Sofa things like that.

I'm still trying to get my head around the healthcare. As you may know in the UK NHS healthcare and medicine is free for all under 16 year olds ... I would like to take out some kind of family health / medical insurance for peace of mind .... as my son suffers from Asthma !!

I suppose school / education area is good ... No uniform etc I suppose what you save on buying in uniform for 3 kids pays for school : )

I suppose if we have paid for our accommodation upfront or at least have the money for it before we move.... Then we would use our salaries to pay for bills , food and other living expenses.

Are you new to Canada ? If so , do you have any regrets about leaving the UK ?
Do you find yourself better or worse off in Canada or UK.

Thanks Naomi
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we hope to come over with our 3 children. And we may have to re think our budget somewhat too for the rental property... we don't plan on bringing furniture with us , we will either rent a place furnished .. or buy the basics like Bed .. Sofa things like that.

I suppose school / education area is good ... No uniform etc I suppose what you save on buying in uniform for 3 kids pays for school : )
You may struggle to find a furnished place, and generally it'll cost far more to start with everything new than to ship your current stuff. Don't discount the comfort it'll give your children having familiar things around them as well.

And you can't send your kids to school naked, they still have to wear clothes even if it's not uniform.
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

yes lol very true ... there is so much to look into and get sorted x
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
An apprenticeship cannot be done on a TWP, only PR or Canadian's are eligible. If he has sufficient hours he can challenge the trades exam.

Some employers offer a benefits program after 3 months, a lot don't. Major dental work runs into thousands, one of my kids, she is older and does not have coverage, has just had to pay $2300. Dental is expensive.

Note: Temporary Foreign Workers are not permitted to attend tax funded training but are required to register as an apprentice to legally work in a compulsory trade in Saskatchewan.

Attached Files
Old May 22nd 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Yes that's right , iv just had a look at your link about TFW and this what he is doing . he has just had his credentials assessed by Sask and he may have a job interview in the next week or so ... fingers crossed x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.