Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Plug in car heaters

Plug in car heaters

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plug in car heaters

Originally Posted by dbd33
This morning the thermometer in my the car read -27. My box was sticky.
Was it actually sticky?

Or was more sort of like stiff and sluggish.

I'm not at all sure I would want a sticky box, but one really can't be too choosy.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

This morning the thermometer in my the car read -27. My box was sticky.

Be thankful you weren't in Algonquin Park or Borden where it was -35 c and -31 c overnight.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Be thankful you weren't in Algonquin Park or Borden where it was -35 c and -31 c overnight.
Does it really matter? I mean below 55 or so F is not pleasant, once it's -20 or -30 or -40 life is just something to struggle through and it's arguable if one should bother, it seems pointless to quibble over negative degrees.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Does it really matter? I mean below 55 or so F is not pleasant, once it's -20 or -30 or -40 life is just something to struggle through and it's arguable if one should bother, it seems pointless to quibble over negative degrees.
Well at -31 or -35 your box would have been stickier (or stiffer). You know it is cold outside when you press scan on the radio and you can visibly see that it is scanning through at a slower speed.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

I'm resisting the urge to add to this...so I will leave now smiling after reading the last few posts.

REgards to one and all...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well at -31 or -35 your box would have been stickier (or stiffer). You know it is cold outside when you press scan on the radio and you can visibly see that it is scanning through at a slower speed.
My radio froze. No shit the lcd, or whatever, display in the Sirius radio has gone solid and I can't get the BBC anymore. At -27 and without news from abroad I really feel that I'm in the wilderness.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My radio froze. No shit the lcd, or whatever, display in the Sirius radio has gone solid and I can't get the BBC anymore. At -27 and without news from abroad I really feel that I'm in the wilderness.
But you are, you are.

You should leave the radio turned on all night. Keep the 'orses amused.

<what is it about this forum and block heaters anyway?>
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Never had mine freeze before, but it has gone sluggish. It co-incided with having what seemed to be square tires (it was -26 or something and I was driving on all seasons).

DBD you are north of Steeles Avenue aren't you?. I recall in high school in Toronto (I moved here when I was 17) and the teacher asked in geography class where the 'north' started in Canada. One kid put up his hand and quite honestly said 'Steeles Avenue'.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

<what is it about this forum and block heaters anyway?>
Beats me. There is a perfectly good wiki article on the subject now.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Beats me. There is a perfectly good wiki article on the subject now.
True, and thanks, but it's just not the same!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Never had mine freeze before, but it has gone sluggish. It co-incided with having what seemed to be square tires (it was -26 or something and I was driving on all seasons).

DBD you are north of Steeles Avenue aren't you?. I recall in high school in Toronto (I moved here when I was 17) and the teacher asked in geography class where the 'north' started in Canada. One kid put up his hand and quite honestly said 'Steeles Avenue'.

When I lived in Toronto I would not have known where Steeles Ave was. For the first fifteen years or so I didn't go past Bloor and then when I did I wondered why. I don't think there's anything of note in the GTA once you get more than half a mile from the St. Lawrence market.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I lived in Toronto I would not have known where Steeles Ave was. For the first fifteen years or so I didn't go past Bloor and then when I did I wondered why. I don't think there's anything of note in the GTA once you get more than half a mile from the St. Lawrence market.
It is that kind of attitude that people in the ROC dislike so much about 416 ers.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It is that kind of attitude that people in the ROC dislike so much about 416 ers.
Does it matter what they think?