Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Plug in car heaters

Plug in car heaters

Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:18 pm
Humm

Chipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really nice
Question Plug in car heaters

Hello
I am having a second recce next week in Calgary and am spend some time in the hills.
What is the deal with plugging in the hire car?
When and where do I have to plug in the car?
Do you have to plug in every time you stop the engine ? E.g. if I was just popping out to the shop?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plug in car heaters

Basically it just helps the engine start if it's got really cold (below -20 or so); so no need to bother for short stops, but if you're leaving the car out overnight in really cold weather it's not a bad idea to plug it in. Odds are it will still start OK without the extra heating, but it will start easier if it has been plugged in.

I do remember watching a documentary some years ago about people driving across Russia in temperatures down to -60C or below, and they did have a problem where one of the cars stopped overnight (they left them running 24 hours a day) and couldn't be started in the morning. But you're not likely to find temperatures that low in most of Canada.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chipmunk101
Hello
I am having a second recce next week in Calgary and am spend some time in the hills.
What is the deal with plugging in the hire car?
When and where do I have to plug in the car?
Do you have to plug in every time you stop the engine ? E.g. if I was just popping out to the shop?
It's a block heater that makes starting the engine from overnight stone cold that much easier. We have ours on a timer in the garage - it comes on around midnight, switches off around 7.30am before I leave for work. I remember my hubby using a sump heater - don't know if they're avaliable here - in really cold English weather
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:42 pm
Humm

Chipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really niceChipmunk101 is just really nice

Thanks for the info
The car will be in the hotel heated car park over night so it looks like I will not have to plug the car in to the grid.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli
It's a block heater that makes starting the engine from overnight stone cold that much easier. We have ours on a timer in the garage - it comes on around midnight, switches off around 7.30am before I leave for work. I remember my hubby using a sump heater - don't know if they're avaliable here - in really cold English weather
You could save some money on electricity if you set the timer for about two hours (approx 5:00am) before you need to start the car. That's all it needs.

Most block heaters are installed in a frost plug close to the bottom of the block and warm the coolant.

Come on, you really don't expect anyone in Canada to believe that it gets cold enough in the UK to need a block heater.

Last edited by Steve_P; Dec 30th 2007 at 10:55 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

It's a block heater that makes starting the engine from overnight stone cold that much easier.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

budge up!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
budge up!
Iain is away on some nice warm island this is a non-starter.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:13 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaah block heated the natural way
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Aaaaah block heated the natural way
Nah...it won't start 'cause it wasn't plugged in.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Come on, you really don't expect anyone in Canada to believe that it gets cold enough in the UK to need a block heater.
You might think differently if you'd ever owned a British car from the 60s or 70s... they need all the help they can get to start on a good day .
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, the cars in the garage or just the block heater timer?

If the car is in the garage what are you using a block heater for?

Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SAW 04
If the car is in the garage what are you using a block heater for?
Unless the garage is heated, the temperature will eventually equalise with the outside no matter how good the insulation may be.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG
Unless the garage is heated, the temperature will eventually equalise with the outside no matter how good the insulation may be.
Our garage is a separate building and is not insulated.

It does manage to stay a few degrees warmer than the outside air temp even on the coldest days but even that is only two or three degrees.

Block heater still required.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 8:14 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

WE have lived in Winnipeg for nearly ten years, our cars do not go in a garage, we don't use the block heaters and the only problem we have had is with my daughters brand new Mini, it wont start in the cold, despite synthetic oil etc etc. BMW have loaned her a brand new 3 series for 4 weeks now as they can't sort out the problem. May be they will let her keep the 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.