Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please please buy my house

Please please buy my house

Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please please buy my house

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
I bet they did.

Apologies for my cynicism - my recent experiences with estate agents has led me to hold them in the same esteem as I do traffic wardens, insurance companies, politicians, the police, double-glazing salespeople and the guy from across the road who parks his motorbike across two car parking spaces outside my house...
Hope you sell quickly. Here: have some karma...
thank you for the karma I have hopes for this man as he is a neighbour, and works for himself- not one of the big chains.! but yes you are right it is hard to find a good one and i like to be optimistic!

have some karma back, to help fight of the bad agents!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:34 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Just as it couldn't get any worse...

The house two doors down has put their house on the market this week for the same price as ours (it is slightly bigger than ours). They seem to have been having viewings all morning.

I am going off to cry. I really am.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tidge
Just as it couldn't get any worse...

The house two doors down has put their house on the market this week for the same price as ours (it is slightly bigger than ours). They seem to have been having viewings all morning.

I am going off to cry. I really am.
We've got a similar problem.

Three houses - ours, next door and next door but one were all on the market at the same time. Ours was the most expensive - we're just dropped the price by 5k after next door had sold - now ours is the cheapest.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

We've now had an offer on our place for closer to the asking price ( )but they have to sell their house first. Fingers crossed it'll all go through. We've been told not by the agent not to take ours off the market until they've sold their house.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I empathise with you all - we lost about 30k on our house in the UK when we left. It's really, really tough.

Selling your home is a very emotional thing, but you have to try to detach yourself from it and look at it from a buyers perspective. We all love a 'deal' when we're buying - it's human nature.

Have a look at this link. It's the LAND REGISTRY record of actual prices paid for houses sold in England and Wales. Just type in your post code, or an address, and see what that house down the street, or next door actually SOLD for, NOT what it was listed for in the ads. (It shows sales from 2000 to present day).

If you want a broader view of property in your town - just type in the first half of your post code.

Hope it helps.

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
I empathise with you all - we lost about 30k on our house in the UK when we left. It's really, really tough.
I find this to be quite a common statement nowadays and have to wonder how true this really is.

Did you truely lose 30k on your home i.e. sell it for 30k less than what you paid for it. Or did you just make 30k less than you anticipated, in which case you didn't really lose anything you just made less profit.

This appears to be a common theme in business as well, if a company makes less in profits in one year compared to the previous year it is considered to be a loss. How is this so?

Just wondering.
Steve
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
I find this to be quite a common statement nowadays and have to wonder how true this really is.

Did you truely lose 30k on your home i.e. sell it for 30k less than what you paid for it. Or did you just make 30k less than you anticipated, in which case you didn't really lose anything you just made less profit.

This appears to be a common theme in business as well, if a company makes less in profits in one year compared to the previous year it is considered to be a loss. How is this so?

Just wondering.
Steve
I agree, and understand what you're saying. No, we didn't 'lose' on what we paid - but on market value at the time. Still a genuine 'loss' in my opinion though, as had we not been so desperate to sell, we would likely have achieved close to the list price, or simply wouldn't have sold, but stayed put. The only reason we were selling was the fact that we were leaving the country, which came as a bolt out of the blue, so we didnt' have time to think, and had to sell fast. That meant someone got a very good deal!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
The agent seemed pretty optimistic that it would sell quickly, fingers crossed
Emmmm.....now where have i heard that before.....oh yeah, at the beginning of January.....our house still not sold
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jempee
Emmmm.....now where have i heard that before.....oh yeah, at the beginning of January.....our house still not sold
lets be optimistic eh? its the spring, all those house hunters out there.......

how come you application was so quick???
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
lets be optimistic eh? its the spring, all those house hunters out there.......

how come you application was so quick???

PNP route. skilled worker to vancouver island. The only thing is we were not expecting meds so quickly so have only just got money together to pay for it so will be making an appointment this week
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Snave
They contacted me with a standard letter saying they were "very interested" in buying my house, and reduced the charge for the valuation from £450 to £240. I couldn't resist that. Now reading the BBC Watchdog's report (thanks, Stubby) I see they claim to give 10-30% below the surveyor's valuation. Now I know that Estate Agents inflate the price so let's do some simple maths. The Estate Agent valued it at £195k. Say that's 20% over it's true value that makes it worth £156k. If they offer me 90% of £156k, or £140k - I'm going to be heart broken. That's what we paid 3 years ago - and we've ploughed a hell of a lot of money into it since then. Some to repair the flooded kitchen.
Can I have some karma please?
Well - they offered us £130k. I don't know what to say or do - but I'm brokenhearted. If I tell them to stuff it - then we may have missed the oppurtunity of a quick sale. The benefit is the speed - they even find a solicitor for you and give you £500 towards him. If we don't sell we may be in for more months at £750 a month mortgage. Or do we cut and run?
Tell me what to do, guys.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
Well - they offered us £130k. I don't know what to say or do - but I'm brokenhearted. If I tell them to stuff it - then we may have missed the oppurtunity of a quick sale. The benefit is the speed - they even find a solicitor for you and give you £500 towards him. If we don't sell we may be in for more months at £750 a month mortgage. Or do we cut and run?
Tell me what to do, guys.

65k difference?!? :scared: 'kinell!!

I'd tell them to eff off. The market usually picks up around this time of year anyway (he says with fingers crossed), so you may just get someone interested who'll pay a more realistic price.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
65k difference?!? :scared: 'kinell!!

The market usually picks up around this time of year anyway (he says with fingers crossed), so you may just get someone interested who'll pay a more realistic price.
... or the UK housing market might on a very slow slide downwards and the offer that Snave has now may prove to be a good one in the long run.

The long term IR futures market has IR's rising in the UK during mid to end of 2006. With many home owners over-borrowed this could signal a more rapid decline.

I wish Snave good luck in whatever is decided.