Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please Help - Where in Vancouver??????

Please Help - Where in Vancouver??????

Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:31 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help - Where in Vancouver??????

Originally Posted by acer rose
<sigh> In the absence of a "tongue in cheek" smiley I used the "wink" smiley. Apologies for not adding the appropriate commentary <insert a rather frustrated tongue in cheek smiley here>

<genaralized whinge on>
<insert facepalm smiley> Why don't posters read what is actually written instead of replying to what they think a poster has written.

<wanders off to search, again, probably in vain, for a "whooshed over your head did it" smiley for future use>.
ha ha.

I don't know why she's so sensitive about gang members. Anyway, if you have gang members, it just means your neighbourhood is like, extra safe except when there's a vendetta going on.

I thought it was a well known fact that private schools on the north shore had started to hire investigators to check into the backgrounds of the pupils? I def. read that somewhere.

here's one:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/05/21/t...wd/#more-57375

http://www.pinewswire.net/article/va...for-gang-ties/

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Sep 4th 2011 at 6:53 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:58 pm
rzl
Just Joined

rzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
ha ha.

I don't know why she's so sensitive about gang members. Anyway, if you have gang members, it just means your neighbourhood is like, extra safe except when there's a vendetta going on.

I thought it was a well known fact that private schools on the north shore had started to hire investigators to check into the backgrounds of the pupils? I def. read that somewhere.

here's one:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/05/21/t...wd/#more-57375

http://www.pinewswire.net/article/va...for-gang-ties/
Wow, a lot of info to take in, many thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated.
My initial thoughts seem to be that we need to raise our original budget to at least $2000 and go for a 2 bed as a temporary measure (maybe 6 month lease?) until we get a real feel for the area and go from there. Son is only 5 and daughter is 2 months so they wont mind sharing!
Its so difficult to know where exactly is right for us when we are thousands of miles away so a short term lease seems to be the sensible option.
When we eventually buy we will be opting for a house in our preferred area that will be the right size we want (4/5 bed) but in real dire straits so we can get it at a low price and do it up ourselves.
Keep all the area info coming, if anything I'm enjoying all the banter!!!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:03 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rzl
Wow, a lot of info to take in, many thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated.
My initial thoughts seem to be that we need to raise our original budget to at least $2000 and go for a 2 bed as a temporary measure (maybe 6 month lease?) until we get a real feel for the area and go from there. Son is only 5 and daughter is 2 months so they wont mind sharing!
Its so difficult to know where exactly is right for us when we are thousands of miles away so a short term lease seems to be the sensible option.
When we eventually buy we will be opting for a house in our preferred area that will be the right size we want (4/5 bed) but in real dire straits so we can get it at a low price and do it up ourselves.
Welcome to BE, you'll fit in just fine

I think it's a good plan. good luck and let us know where you end up staying.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I just discovered a new part of New West this morning that I hadn't been to before. This is around 8th Street East up the hill from McBride. Called Massey Heights. Nice looking residential area with some great views.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I just discovered a new part of New West this morning that I hadn't been to before. This is around 8th Street East up the hill from McBride. Called Massey Heights. Nice looking residential area with some great views.
There are a lot of nice areas in NW, Queen's Park is another. Also I quite like what they're doing in Queensborough.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rzl
... My initial thoughts seem to be that we need to raise our original budget to at least $2000 and go for a 2 bed as a temporary measure (maybe 6 month lease?) until we get a real feel for the area and go from there. Son is only 5 and daughter is 2 months so they wont mind sharing!
This is a much more realistic budget and, with a bit of searching, should find you somewhere reasonable in much of Metro Vancouver. There will always be trade-offs between size and convenience.

The vast majority of rentals are for one year and I think this is a reasonable amount of time to spend looking - for a neighborhood you want to live in and for the type of house that suits you.

Looking for a fixer is also a great idea. It is amazing how little imagination many people have. They will pay way over the top for somewhere with granite counter-tops, stainless appliances and a new coat of paint.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by rzl
and don't worry too much about gangsters, they really are everywhere, so there's no point worrying. Just don't join a gang and you'll be just dandy!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:22 pm

Looking for a fixer is also a great idea. It is amazing how little imagination many people have. They will pay way over the top for somewhere with granite counter-tops, stainless appliances and a new coat of paint.
yep, that was the mistake we made the first two times
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:38 pm
rzl
Just Joined

rzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the roughrzl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
yep, that was the mistake we made the first two times
Well as soon as we get there thinking of starting up my own gang so if anyone is interested in joining let me know.
Not so much of the looting and drive by shootings type of gang, gonna be more hardcore, probably into baby groups, coffee mornings and cocktail nights.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. When we were looking we became averse to places that were billed as 'just move in and enjoy' - they all had granite counter tops and the usual bling, but it was obvious they were done by flippers who'd just done cosmetic stuff and not necessarily to code. We saw one place that was absolutely lovely inside, but they had built an extension on top of a deck where said deck was propped up on a rock - one kick and that part of the house was going to collapse.

After seeing a few places like this, we started avoiding them and only going to look at houses that had the original decor or could prove the work was done with permits. Having finished our basement, I can see why people avoid doing things with permits, but I really wouldn't touch somewhere that had major renos without them.