Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please Help: Little experience but in demand job class.

Please Help: Little experience but in demand job class.

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:08 am
Just Joined

tommy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please Help: Little experience but in demand job class.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Here's a little overview of my situation.....

I recently changed my career to that of Plumber for a few reasons, one of which was that I would be in better place to emmigrate to canada.
I now how basic qualification in Plumbing and approx 6 months experience. I do not have an offer of employment. And only score 48 on skilled worker assesment. However if i'd been doing it a whole year i'd score 63 and only (ha only) need job offer. Not got one yet althought have tested the water by sending out some letters/cv's for apprentice positions but haven't heard back, which doesn't really surprise me.

My plan was to go to canada in the next few months (have enough money to stay approx 4-6 months i think) and look for work and try to sort out temp work permit if i get job offer, however i've read that an employer would only really consider this process if you had PR or at least in the process. The whole TWP seems a bit catch 22 for me need TWP before you can get a job but need job to get TWP. Also i believe LMO's can be difficult to obtain for certain jobs, does anyone know if this would be the case for apprentice plumbers??

Also is there any point starting the PR process now when i know it wouldn't go through just to be able to say to possible employers that i've started the process. Or will I have to just wait till my experience is over 1 year.
How much scrutiny do the applications go through as my current employer is a sound chap and would prob be happy to say i'd been with him a year if i asked him. (a bit naughty I know but I'm so keen to get back over there).

Thanks for any help guys!!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:39 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help: Little experience but in demand job class.

I hate to tell you this, but when you apply as a skilled worker, that's what the gubbmint assumes you to be. Otherwise why should I give up my budding career as a plummer for some greenhorn plummer foreigner. That's how it works.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 9:27 am
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of
Default Re: Please Help: Little experience but in demand job class.

There's a Plumber section in the Working abroad forum. Might be worth asking on there.
Good luck.