Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please Help Hairstylist trying to move to Canada from UK

Please Help Hairstylist trying to move to Canada from UK

Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ellboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please Help Hairstylist trying to move to Canada from UK

I am looking into the possibility of moving to Canada (probably BC, Alberta or Ontario) and wondered if anyone on the BE forum has experience of doing this as a Hairstylist/Salon Manager.

I spent some time in Canada last year & would really like to make this happen. The route I think I will go, is through the "occupations under pressure list" & temporary work permit, then progressing to PR.

Thanks to Judy on my previous thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564988

She pointed me towards information on having my NVQ/SVQ assessed & the exam challenge.

I would love to hear about the process/experience from anyone that has been through it successfully.

Any tips or recommendations you could give would be great, please let me know.

Also can anyone suggest a lawyer or consultant that they have experience of successfully gaining for them a TWP then PR.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help Hairstylist trying to move to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by Ellboy
Also can anyone suggest a lawyer or consultant that they have experience of successfully gaining for them a TWP then PR.

Thanks in advance
I have no idea about hairdressing but did just want to point out that a lawyer or consultant cannot 'gain a TWP' for you - only you and your potential employer can do that.

You need to find a job (a lawyer/consultant could not help with that as it's illegal in most of Canada for anybody to charge you for assistance with finding a job), then employer needs to apply for LMO and then once that's obtained, you apply for TWP yourself. I suppose that you could hire a lawyer to help you with that part if you really felt you had to, but as it's only a 2 page document, personally I'd save your money for all the other seemingly endless relocation expenses!!

Have a look at the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for more info on the TWP process. If you felt you needed a lawyer for help with your PR application, which is more involved, then I'm sure people would be happy to recommend one once you get to that point - although you may find your potential employer would pay for a lawyer for you.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I am looking into the possibility of moving to Canada (probably BC, Alberta or Ontario) and wondered if anyone on the BE forum has experience of doing this as a Hairstylist/Salon Manager.

I spent some time in Canada last year & would really like to make this happen. The route I think I will go, is through the "occupations under pressure list" & temporary work permit, then progressing to PR.

She pointed me towards information on having my NVQ/SVQ assessed & the exam challenge.

I would love to hear about the process/experience from anyone that has been through it successfully.

Thanks in advance
We came here as PR's through my Qualifications as a Hairdresser, but we went through the normal skilled worker route and it took 2 years. I believe it's taking about 4-5 at the moment.
I can't work here at present though as i have to take a licence exam (can't be employed unless you have licence).
The occupations under pressure list is a guide for applying under skilled worker for PR, it won't necessarily get you a TWP.

I doubt very much that you'll be offered a job here without a PR card, as theres no need to hire foreign Hairdressers. You'll only get a job offer if there's no Canadian that can fill the vacancy, the potential employer would also have to have a very strong case to employ from abroad.

As far as Lawyers/Consultants go, The paperwork is simple enough to do by yourself (and you do most of it yourself anyway) unless you've had a really "colorful" life with lots of complicated issues, then I too would save the money and put it towards the big move.

You won't believe how much money you'll go through in those early days of moving over here.

Canbritdenise has done the exam in Ontario, if you search through her posts you'll get an idea of the exam.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
The occupations under pressure list is a guide for applying under skilled worker for PR, it won't necessarily get you a TWP.
Sorry to jump on your otherwise excellent post, joelsa, but the facts are the opposite of what you had stated.

The Occupations under Pressure (OUP) lists are relevant only to temporary work permit applications. Actually they are relevant to the labour market opinion (LMO) that the prospective employer has to obtain before the prospective employee can apply for a TWP.

The significance of an OUP is that the period of time during which the employer has to advertise the job across Canada is reduced from the normal three months to seven days. This is what the employer has to do before applying for an LMO.
x
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I have no idea about hairdressing but did just want to point out that a lawyer or consultant cannot 'gain a TWP' for you - only you and your potential employer can do that.

You need to find a job (a lawyer/consultant could not help with that as it's illegal in most of Canada for anybody to charge you for assistance with finding a job), then employer needs to apply for LMO and then once that's obtained, you apply for TWP yourself. I suppose that you could hire a lawyer to help you with that part if you really felt you had to, but as it's only a 2 page document, personally I'd save your money for all the other seemingly endless relocation expenses!!

Have a look at the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for more info on the TWP process. If you felt you needed a lawyer for help with your PR application, which is more involved, then I'm sure people would be happy to recommend one once you get to that point - although you may find your potential employer would pay for a lawyer for you.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Thanks christmasoompa for your reply.

Your tip about not needing a consultant or lawyer is one I will definately consider. I just imagined that they would better know all the ins & outs.

I have tentatively made enquiries with regard to finding an employer, I just wanted to make sure that I could be fully informed, and then in turn help the employer with the process. Potentialy making it easier on them & therefore making it easier for them to offer me the job.
I know that my capabilities and work history will be attractive to employers, I am concerned that the process of them employing me (needing LMO, TWP etc.) will potentialy put them off. So trying to cover all the bases.

One thing I cannot establish is... should I find an employer & in turn they get the LMO & make the job offer, can I then be issued with the TWP on entry to Canada. or do I have to enter Canada on another visa (maybe tourist), then take the challenge exam and then leave Canada & re-enter to be issued with the TWP. (hopefully someone here knows)

Thanks again.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joelsa
We came here as PR's through my Qualifications as a Hairdresser, but we went through the normal skilled worker route and it took 2 years. I believe it's taking about 4-5 at the moment.
I can't work here at present though as i have to take a licence exam (can't be employed unless you have licence).

I doubt very much that you'll be offered a job here without a PR card, as theres no need to hire foreign Hairdressers. You'll only get a job offer if there's no Canadian that can fill the vacancy, the potential employer would also have to have a very strong case to employ from abroad.

As far as Lawyers/Consultants go, The paperwork is simple enough to do by yourself (and you do most of it yourself anyway) unless you've had a really "colorful" life with lots of complicated issues, then I too would save the money and put it towards the big move.

You won't believe how much money you'll go through in those early days of moving over here.

Canbritdenise has done the exam in Ontario, if you search through her posts you'll get an idea of the exam.

Hi joelsa,

thanks very much for your post, its good to hear from someone with experience in the same occupation. Although you did have me worried until I read Judy´s post.

From what I understand you applied for PR as a hairdresser and you got it, but did not yet sit the exam. Am I understanding correctly?
I wonder if this is the same process for a TWP, ie getting job offer & LMO, applying at POE, being issued the visa (TWP) and then sitting the exam after arriving in Canada. This is something I am trying to establish as it certainly would be easier than having to go to Canada first, sit the exam, then find a job, get LMO and then apply for the visa.

I will search the posts for Canbritdenise, thanks for the heads up

Thanks very much for your help.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sorry to jump on your otherwise excellent post, joelsa, but the facts are the opposite of what you had stated.

The Occupations under Pressure (OUP) lists are relevant only to temporary work permit applications. Actually they are relevant to the labour market opinion (LMO) that the prospective employer has to obtain before the prospective employee can apply for a TWP.

The significance of an OUP is that the period of time during which the employer has to advertise the job across Canada is reduced from the normal three months to seven days. This is what the employer has to do before applying for an LMO.
x
Hi again Judy

I got worried when I read joelsa post with regard to....

"I doubt very much that you'll be offered a job here without a PR card, as theres no need to hire foreign Hairdressers. You'll only get a job offer if there's no Canadian that can fill the vacancy, the potential employer would also have to have a very strong case to employ from abroad."

Then I read your post and felt a bit better

Am I correct in assuming that as its on the OUP list, it will follow that if am being offered a job in that category & the employer gets the LMO, I will qualify for the TWP?

Thanks again, I really appreciate everybody´s help.

I asked about a consultant/lawyer as I didn´t want to drive everyone mad.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Hi I am hairdresser here in BC and I became a senior state registered in the UK before I left, it has been accepted here every where and I have not had to do any exams it has been accepted by all major brands and I now work for myself.,
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Hi joelsa,

thanks very much for your post, its good to hear from someone with experience in the same occupation. Although you did have me worried until I read Judy´s post.

From what I understand you applied for PR as a hairdresser and you got it, but did not yet sit the exam. Am I understanding correctly?
I wonder if this is the same process for a TWP, ie getting job offer & LMO, applying at POE, being issued the visa (TWP) and then sitting the exam after arriving in Canada. This is something I am trying to establish as it certainly would be easier than having to go to Canada first, sit the exam, then find a job, get LMO and then apply for the visa.

I will search the posts for Canbritdenise, thanks for the heads up

Thanks very much for your help.
Sorry to frighten you, I wasn't aware there had been changes to OUP list. Believe you me i wouldn't have sat waiting for 2+ years if we could've come sooner.

Yes I applied for PR with my qualifications, but i've yet to sit the exam to work as a stylist.

The thing that a lot of people find frustrating here is the CIC recognize our UK qualifications enough to offer us Immigration, but then Canadian employers and provincial governments don't:curse:
My Husband is having to do it and you'll find no end of Plummers, Lawyers, Nurses, Electricians all having to sit exams for jobs that they've done all their lives. In the mean time being treated (and payed) as apprentices.

I do know of someone (a PR) who is working in a Salon as an "apprentice". They know she's well qualified and is indentured into the apprenticeship programme, as she has enough hours, but she just hasn't sat the exam yet.

I don't know how that would sit with you finding an employer, my guess is you would have to have the license to work before being offered a job.

In all honesty (and i don't want to burst your bubble but) i really can't see a Canadian Salon needing to look outside of Canada to fill a vacancy.
I hope i'm wrong.
Maybe you could look at starting up your own salon and come on a buisness visa, I don't know much about that though.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Hi I am hairdresser here in BC and I became a senior state registered in the UK before I left, it has been accepted here every where and I have not had to do any exams it has been accepted by all major brands and I now work for myself.,

Hi Woodywoodside,

Thanks a lot for your post.

I searched online for "senior state registered" and found this..... http://www.haircouncil.org.uk/index.php

is this what you mean?

I contacted them today.

Thanks again
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again Joelsa,

There is absolutely no need to apologise, you have been kind enough to reply, and what you have said has really helped.

I had the assumption & thought I was thinking logicaly, that I needed to gain my licence prior to being able to apply for and be issued with a TWP. Your info has set me straight.

As for starting a business, this is an aim of mine, but from what I can see the financial requirements for a Canadian business visa are beyond me.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:30 am
Just Joined

JChang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I currently work for a Salon + Spa group with 9 locations in BC and Alberta. We are always looking for great qualified talent to join our team.

Are you still looking to move to Canada? We are currently in the process of sponsoring 20 qualified candidates for our Salon + Spa locations. If you have 3 - 5 years experience and/or related training and are looking to join an established and successful salon group I encourage you to contact us. You can visit our website at www.hennesseysalonspa.com (careers section).

Thanks in advance [/QUOTE]
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JChang
Hi there,

I currently work for a Salon + Spa group with 9 locations in BC and Alberta. We are always looking for great qualified talent to join our team.

Are you still looking to move to Canada? We are currently in the process of sponsoring 20 qualified candidates for our Salon + Spa locations. If you have 3 - 5 years experience and/or related training and are looking to join an established and successful salon group I encourage you to contact us. You can visit our website at www.hennesseysalonspa.com (careers section).

Thanks in advance
[/QUOTE]
Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I am indeed still interested in moving to Canada & I am currently looking for a good opportunity in salon management, my experience lends itself to busy city centre salons. I started my career with Vidal Sassoon where I completed my apprenticeship, I have worked for Tony & Guy and have also owned my own salon.

Your message is coincidental as I previously sent my details to you (Hennessey) and included my C.V. in an e-mail of the 20th Feb 2009. My e-mail was in reply to a Hennessey advert that was posted on Craigslist. I visited your website and sent my details to [email protected] as yet I have had no response, perhaps it was lost or misplaced.

I would be very interested in the possibility of a management position with Hennessey. Please contact me if you feel there is an opportunity for me, if so I would be happy to send my details to you directly.

Best Wishes.

Elliot.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Another company ALWAYS advertising for stylists is Chatters. Could be worth a shot?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Another company ALWAYS advertising for stylists is Chatters. Could be worth a shot?
Thanks for that Piff Poff, much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.