Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please help - areas to live in Toronto GTA

Please help - areas to live in Toronto GTA

Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help - areas to live in Toronto GTA

Originally Posted by GSJ
Company offices are at Bay street right next to the financial district / Yonge street area.
Yonge and Bay are parallel, but the banks' offices are mostly right downtown, a handful of blocks at most from Union station, very walkable.
Originally Posted by GSJ
Ok, so it looks as if I’ll have to buy a car more or less straight away which is fine with me. I guess I can hire something for the first few weeks whilst I'm researching on where to buy.
Yes. Bear in mind too that financing or leasing a car can be a good way to build a Canadian credit score.
Originally Posted by GSJ
Regarding areas to live, ideally I’ll be looking for something that is not too quiet ie in the middle of nowhere but at the same time is away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. Culture is good but I want to stay well away from the ghetto areas. Am prepared to travel further in return for more space at a better price. Driving 20-30mins to Brampton or 30-40min travel (any transport method) in to the office is no problem.
30-40 mins to downtown won't get you very far out into the burbs. I used to commute on the GO daily from Oakville to the TD Centre downtown, I'd plan for a little less than an hour door to door. If you start from right next to the station you'd be OK, but factor in a drive/bus from home to station and your journey time goes up appreciably.

Originally Posted by GSJ
To begin with, I’ll research in to the areas suggested in the above posts.

Thanks for all your guidance and suggestions!
G.
Given your comments above, I'd say within striking distance of Port Credit/Clarkson/Oakville/Bronte GO stations would be your best starting point.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:00 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do is come over and stay with your relatives, then start casing out different areas when you have the time. It's also a good way to get familiar with the way people drive in this town.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:14 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Therefore suggest that you set your sights on buying a car as soon as you arrive. In my opinion, this is a prerequisite to a strong start in Canadian living.
Although I have no great love for the TTC I disagree with this. Thinking that you cannot function without a car (ideally a large gas guzzling monster, and preferably two) is one of the biggest problems with Toronto. It might be convenient but I don't deem it a pre-requisite to having a strong start in living here (especially with what the OP is likely to pay in insurance). Last thing TO needs is more 905ers driving in.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Where does that stop?? How does one define downtown??

I only ask as honorary niece used to work in Bay Street and she said it was a 35, 40 minute walk from Union. Which may be walking distance if you are young and non highheeled but every day??
Sorry, I heard Bay St and assumed financial district (which turns out to be correct).
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marimac
Sorry, I heard Bay St and assumed financial district (which turns out to be correct).
not to worry. I'd ignore me if I were you, I know nothing.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Although I have no great love for the TTC I disagree with this. Thinking that you cannot function without a car (ideally a large gas guzzling monster, and preferably two) is one of the biggest problems with Toronto. It might be convenient but I don't deem it a pre-requisite to having a strong start in living here (especially with what the OP is likely to pay in insurance). Last thing TO needs is more 905ers driving in.
No doubt Toronto and the GTA in general could do with less vehicles for various reasons. The OP may however, find it necessary. For one thing, there will be lots to carry in the process of first establishing oneself. IMO also, it is much easier to get a good handle on the whole GTA if one is mobile, and a lot less time will be wasted hanging about for buses etc.

curiously enough I know of a Canadian couple that EMIGRATED to London England, because of the better public transport there, whilst they felt having a car in Toronto is a necessity.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned Leaside in this thread as an area inside TO to consider. I've seen this are pop up a few times (and High Park and Beaches of course ...). I thought it was horrendously expensive but maybe I'm wrong. Are there cross streets to look at for more affordable rental housing here? Thx
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Someone mentioned Leaside in this thread as an area inside TO to consider. I've seen this are pop up a few times (and High Park and Beaches of course ...). I thought it was horrendously expensive but maybe I'm wrong. Are there cross streets to look at for more affordable rental housing here? Thx
There are lots of apartments around Bayview and Eglinton, a woman we employed for a pittance lived on the NE corner. There are also some low cost buildings to the south, on, and west of Laird. That's not really Leaside, I suppose, but close.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:05 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

High Park and The Beaches can be horrifically expensive. We used to rent a condo near Palace Pier (Lakeshore and Park Lawn area) and so we looked at places around the area, and that includes High Park and it is very expensive indeed, at least $400 plus, and that would be an older place that might need a bit of work. If you want something that you need to nothing to from the word go, it'll obviously add to the price.

We also looked around the Mimico area and found places for about 350k, thing is, they were older places and thus they may have been three bedroom, but they were small bedrooms and typically no garage. Again, it looked like 400+ was what we'd need to invest to get something that met our expectations, which were fairly simple to be honest.

The factor for us here was stay close to the city and save a chunk on transit costs and put that chunk into the house budget, or move outside of the city and get something that matched what we wanted, was within our budget and pay a chunk for transit.

In the end we decided on the latter and started to look outside TO, eventually deciding on Oakville, which is where we now live, and we're rather happy

I work from home for the moment and my wife takes the GO into TO for work, it's a little tedious for her, but it's not too bad. I used to travel into London during rush hour and can say that the GO is far better set up for commuting that South Eastern ever was.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSJ
Driving 20-30mins to Brampton or 30-40min travel (any transport method) in to the office is no problem.
90 mins each way door to door would be more realistic. I used to commute to that area from Mississauga.

If you have family in Brampton then I think the location issue is settled, with a possible alternative of north Mississauga.

How have you been keeping your PR status valid given that it's been 2 years since you got it and I presume you are still outside Canada ?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:28 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about Brampton to downtown. If driving then It'd probably be 410 south, 401 east, 472 south, Gardiner east. *shudder*. That'll be just lovely during rush hour! Ok, you could take the non highway route there, but it'd still be busy.

Another good point about PR too. I did wonder that myself. The OP mentioned they'd been out for 2 years, don't you have to be resident in Canada for a full 2 years out of every 5 to maintain PR?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:36 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I used to travel into London during rush hour and can say that the GO is far better set up for commuting that South Eastern ever was.
And the TTC is like the tube used to be in perhaps 1965 - though I doubt it was even this primitive then.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to arrive at YYZ as an international visitor and then discover what is involved in getting downtown on transit (both in terms of how you travel and the truly bizarre system - worse at the moment - of using tokens, tickets and transfers).
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
And the TTC is like the tube used to be in perhaps 1965 - though I doubt it was even this primitive then.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to arrive at YYZ as an international visitor and then discover what is involved in getting downtown on transit (both in terms of how you travel and the truly bizarre system - worse at the moment - of using tokens, tickets and transfers).
Why does that make YYZ much different from most other international airports?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy
Why does that make YYZ much different from most other international airports?
It doesn't have a subway. There is no equivalent of an Oystercard, nor even at the airport the facility to buy a daily or weekly pass. No faciilty for paying with a credit or debit card. You need exactly $2.75 in change (unless you want to overpay) to take the bus.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Good point about Brampton to downtown. If driving then It'd probably be 410 south, 401 east, 472 south, Gardiner east. *shudder*.
I do that run often, it's 90 minutes from the top of the 410 to MLG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.