Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Please do research before you just decide to come and stay!

Please do research before you just decide to come and stay!

Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please do research before you just decide to come and stay!

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is but i'd like to relay a story thats about to unfold here -

Yesterday I bumped into a nice lady from Scotland in the coffee shop in the morning. We chatted about Canada and things and then got onto the subject of the whole immigration / paperwork thing.

She advised me that she is now working for the local rag that I left (as some will remember!) but wanted to apply for a job at RBC but couldn`t due to the fact that she didn`t have the right permit.

I thought, that means she`s working here without a work permit, her daughter not sure how old but doesn`t look over 16 is now living with a Canadian guy and has been for a couple of months (the family have been here nearly a year) and was told by her mum as we chatted, "well your application to stay will go quicker than ours cos you`re living with a Canadian now"

I thought again

I asked who her hubby works for, which she replied a local plastics company - now I may be summising wrongly but from the whole gist of the conversation it seems they came over on holiday and decided to stay somewhat illegally.

Apparently they are in the process of applying for PR but TBH I think all thats going to happen is that they will get kicked right back to Dunfermline.

So I suppose my point is - do things the right way, do your research and don`t think that just because you`re here and working and living the Canadian way, that immigration will say "Awwwww haven`t they done well, lets let them stay"

This family haven`t got a clue.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:38 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please do research before you just decide to come and stay!

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

xxx
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:41 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

What a coincidence, this is from my local news today.....a cautionary tale!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7256288.stm
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:55 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Quite but thats the thing, people who do things like that are just stupid, its not as though they are refugees from a war torn country, they are just stupid and lazy, want something for nothing and I have no sympathy.

Ok granted I wouldn`t wish anyone dead but come on
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I always think of situations like this as a form of natural selection.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:58 pm
Sawdust making harpy

You know you could be right
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

You know you could be right
My company does a lot of road safety engineering. I have been a bit out spoken (but only at internal meetings) about how there is only so far you can realisitically go to save people from their own stupidity.

My Bosnian co-worker thought I was on about ethnic cleansing - woops!!

My boss had to explain to him the difference, and that I am more about tough love
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is but i'd like to relay a story thats about to unfold here -

Yesterday I bumped into a nice lady from Scotland in the coffee shop in the morning. We chatted about Canada and things and then got onto the subject of the whole immigration / paperwork thing.

She advised me that she is now working for the local rag that I left (as some will remember!) but wanted to apply for a job at RBC but couldn`t due to the fact that she didn`t have the right permit.

I thought, that means she`s working here without a work permit, her daughter not sure how old but doesn`t look over 16 is now living with a Canadian guy and has been for a couple of months (the family have been here nearly a year) and was told by her mum as we chatted, "well your application to stay will go quicker than ours cos you`re living with a Canadian now"

I thought again

I asked who her hubby works for, which she replied a local plastics company - now I may be summising wrongly but from the whole gist of the conversation it seems they came over on holiday and decided to stay somewhat illegally.

Apparently they are in the process of applying for PR but TBH I think all thats going to happen is that they will get kicked right back to Dunfermline.

So I suppose my point is - do things the right way, do your research and don`t think that just because you`re here and working and living the Canadian way, that immigration will say "Awwwww haven`t they done well, lets let them stay"

Just out of interest, did you say anything to her?? I think I would have found it so hard not to just laugh!!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 22nd 2008 at 9:26 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:27 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada

I suspect this has more to do with medical bills that deportation.
Sad, though. No-one should have to go through that.

When I lived in Dallas there were *LOADS* of guys there working illegally. Chippies, labourers, plumbers, all kinds. Some got shacked up (tick), some waited for the occasional and inevitable amnesty (tick) and some made so much money they got a lawyer to sort the whole mess out (tick). It used to crack me up that middle class professionals I knew were leaving (H1-B visa) while guys there illegally (some with a rather tasty rap sheet) were just carrying on regardless.

This was before T.W.a.T. of course but it sounds as though not much has changed.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

I've always assumed that if a person is caught working illegally they would get booted out and wouldn't be welcome back even if they tried the legal way. A cousin was thrown out of Oz for working illegally and was told he wouldn't be welcome back under any circumstances. This was a while ago though.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

I thought again

OMG Some people are so dumb!! I would be too scared to ever do anything like that. We have put our application in and yeah it sucks having to wait forever but at least when we get there we know everything is sorted and there shouldn't be any surprises!!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:47 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, some of you lot are really harsh? I am in no way condoning illegal immigration, but people don't deserve to die because they have done it!
I'm pretty sure if you were to visit any urban area in the US, walk into the nearest building site, store, garage etc and shout "immigration are coming"! You will hear the patter of many feet leaving sharpish. It's the nature of the country, some might say it was built on immigration, it stands to reason some folk can't or won't meet the tough regulations.
I hate job-dodgers as much as most people do, but people who are working hard and paying their bills are hardly getting something for nothing. I know multiple families living out in New York illegally, they all work hard in blue collar jobs, none of them are bad people. Maybe it is a typical Irish stereotype I feel I should defend!
Before anyone jumps on me, I would never consider doing this myself. I am in the legitimate (but very long!) queue for immigration to lovely Canada.

*gets off soap box*
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:37 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to go over old ground, but do you know that he wasnt the WP holder and she was her on an open one? I cant quite beleive that anyone would be so naive.........but then there are lots of us who come over and say - well if in 6 months it all goes to custard, we can come back. Not condoning it, but find it a bit odd that anyone would think this tactic would work, it doesnt make sense.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:40 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Does *didnt have the right work permit* mean she has the WP and it is fixed to one job? I find it hard to beleive that he worked in a firm who turned a blind eye to this. You cant fart here without having to show id and Provincial id, for which you need to show a right to be here...........passport and a permit. Are we leaping to assumptions here?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved to Canada in 1999 at the age of 25 I did zero research so don't do what I did. I'll try and keep this brief.

I lived in Belfast with my Canadian boyfriend. We decided to move to Montreal. His Mum and Stepdad had just moved back a few years before. So we made the decision arranged to ship what little stuff we had and bought the plane tickets. All I knew was that I could stay in Canada for 6 months as a visitor. So September 1999 we arrived in Montreal with about $1,000.00, nowhere to stay except my MIL one bedroom apartment (we slept in her living room for a month), no jobs, no work permit for me, oh and I don't speak any French

My OH was supposed to have work with a band in October but that fell through. I couldn't look for work as I was only a visitor after the 6 months were up I applied for an extension. Eventually a friend of a friend gave me a job in a little coffee shop (cash in hand) and OH got a few tours with the NI band he has worked with for years and also with a company in Montreal that installed office furniture and paid $10 per hour. We scraped enough money together to get married in May 2000 (the wedding was crap beyond belief) then I applied for PR and a work permit. We moved to Toronto in June 2001 and I got my work permit a few weeks later. I became a PR on March 2002.

When I see how much research and planning people do to get here I think I must have had a screw loose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.