Playstation 3

Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Playstation 3

jst to clarify a few things...

the wiki states the following about the ps3

"Playstation 3 machines - these are multi regional and will play UK and games from around the world. However they will NOT play Blueray disks from Canada only UK ones."

this is nearly right. MOST blue ray discs are region free and will work on any player including uk or north american systems a list of locked/Region free releases up until dec 08 can be found here

games will be fine as they are all region free

dvd's - some will work as on any player (region 0) otherwise you are able to change your playstation region a limited number of times, it should ask you if you want to change regions when you put a disc in and let you know how many changes you have left.

power wise your PS3 from the UK states 220-240V, but ALL PS3's have a universal internal power supply so either a plug converter (MUCH MUCH cheaper before you go!)or canadian kettle lead (just go to a canadian computer store and ask for one) is needed

tv output on the other hand... if you are using hdmi you should have no problem, otherwise try it if it doesn't work then you can get a converter very cheaply on t'internet. to reset your ps3 video output put tv on correct output and from ps3 red light press and hold power until you hear a second beap, wait.

wow, a simple note turned into an essay, hope it helps at someone
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playstation 3

Originally Posted by SNKH
jst to clarify a few things...

the wiki states the following about the ps3

"Playstation 3 machines - these are multi regional and will play UK and games from around the world. However they will NOT play Blueray disks from Canada only UK ones."

this is nearly right. MOST blue ray discs are region free and will work on any player including uk or north american systems a list of locked/Region free releases up until dec 08 can be found here

games will be fine as they are all region free

dvd's - some will work as on any player (region 0) otherwise you are able to change your playstation region a limited number of times, it should ask you if you want to change regions when you put a disc in and let you know how many changes you have left.

power wise your PS3 from the UK states 220-240V, but ALL PS3's have a universal internal power supply so either a plug converter (MUCH MUCH cheaper before you go!)or canadian kettle lead (just go to a canadian computer store and ask for one) is needed

tv output on the other hand... if you are using hdmi you should have no problem, otherwise try it if it doesn't work then you can get a converter very cheaply on t'internet. to reset your ps3 video output put tv on correct output and from ps3 red light press and hold power until you hear a second beap, wait.

wow, a simple note turned into an essay, hope it helps at someone
Thanks for that info - but if you believe the Wiki to be wrong, could you please correct it when you get a mo? Thanks.

Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Thanks for that info - but if you believe the Wiki to be wrong, could you please correct it when you get a mo? Thanks.

no probs, it's not wrong just adding a little info after researching for my move. I'll see what i can do to the wiki perhaps a link to further info?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:32 am
Account Closed

no probs, it's not wrong just adding a little info after researching for my move. I'll see what i can do to the wiki perhaps a link to further info?
okay updated.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

okay updated.
Thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:00 am
Just Joined

MagicalTrevor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought i should just add something to this...I had a minor issue connecting my PS3 up to my TV, as the (Sony!) TV I have will NOT support PAL, so I could not get the PS3 to display anything at all, even with a HDMI connection. The problem was that the default settings for a European PS3 are 576i, not 480i.

To get round this I had to take the PS3 to another TV which did support PAL, then change the settings to 720p in order for it to work on the Sony TV.

Not a biggie in the end, but worth noting.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:10 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MagicalTrevor
Thought i should just add something to this...I had a minor issue connecting my PS3 up to my TV, as the (Sony!) TV I have will NOT support PAL, so I could not get the PS3 to display anything at all, even with a HDMI connection. The problem was that the default settings for a European PS3 are 576i, not 480i.

To get round this I had to take the PS3 to another TV which did support PAL, then change the settings to 720p in order for it to work on the Sony TV.

Not a biggie in the end, but worth noting.
To bypass this i think if you hold the on button for around 5 to 10 seconds the console resets itself and allows a fresh set-up.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
To bypass this i think if you hold the on button for around 5 to 10 seconds the console resets itself and allows a fresh set-up.
This is what I did, the resetted console defaults to 576i, which was not compatible with my TV.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:07 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I did, the resetted console defaults to 576i, which was not compatible with my TV.
Aaaaah, good to know
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:15 am
Account Closed

turn tv and ps3 off at wall, unplug and press power buttons to clear residual power.

turn tv on and select hdmi

from standby on ps3 (red light) press and hold power until you hear TWO beeps, then release button

wait

ps3 should detect tv automatically and suggest optimum settings (whether 780 or 1080).

took me ages to find out how to do this this when i finally bought a cable and went from using composite to HDMI

Last edited by scrubbedexpat005; Oct 15th 2009 at 4:17 am. Reason: grammar!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:20 am
Just Joined

turn tv and ps3 off at wall, unplug and press power buttons to clear residual power.

turn tv on and select hdmi

from standby on ps3 (red light) press and hold power until you hear TWO beeps, then release button

wait

ps3 should detect tv automatically and suggest optimum settings (whether 780 or 1080).

took me ages to find out how to do this this when i finally bought a cable and went from using composite to HDMI
This may be true but on a European PS3, the screen which suggests the optimum settings is in fact a PAL 576i SD screen.

If you can't see it, because your TV won't support it, you can't select the optimum settings, unless you know the correct button presses.

The problem, or at least MY problem, lies more with the TV though.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:50 am
Account Closed

This may be true but on a European PS3, the screen which suggests the optimum settings is in fact a PAL 576i SD screen.

If you can't see it, because your TV won't support it, you can't select the optimum settings, unless you know the correct button presses.

The problem, or at least MY problem, lies more with the TV though.
At least you have it sorted now. that should work but sometimes there can be glitches. I've heard that sony(!) tv's can cause probs particularly Bravia models.

I've not tried to hook up to an NTSC TV as I'm still in UK and will be taking my TV with me as it supports both video formats and 110v

I'm sure somewhere on t'internet some kind soul has posted button presses to achieve the goal.

It's worth noting that you can have both a north american and british psn profile to ensure games purchased both side of the pond will update correctly.