Reload this Page >

playing DVD's and videos

playing DVD's and videos

Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

dalaney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default playing DVD's and videos

Hi

Can anyone tell me if I purchase a multi region Dvd/VCR combi will I be able to play my video and dvd's from the UK. If not can anyone give me advise on how I can view my dvd's

Thanks
Denise
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: playing DVD's and videos

We had a multi region DVD player which played our UK DVD's (until it broke, why does everything break in 5 minutes over here??!) We didn't have a VCR though. Otherwise you should be able to play your DVD's on your PC.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

We just purchased a Philips DVD player from Walmart for $39 and entered a region a code from www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
The DVD player now plays all DVD's from anywhere in the world and converts PAL and NTSC
It was really easy to do and only took a few minutes.
I think Philips make a DVD / Video combo but I don't know if this code thing will work on that type of player.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks thats great news, have lots of videos and dvd's of kids and was worried wouldn't be able to play them and $39 wow thats cheap
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:08 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Videos will be a different matter though. It's hard to find a VCR as it is these days, and in North America VCRs that played PAL tapes were always extremely rare as there was no market for it. It's not worth bringing the tapes, but DVDs yes.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

TheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura about

Hey we read alot of things about hacks for dvds but had no luck on ours. When we went into Best Buy they actually suggested we just buy a cheap dvd player from walmart - his reasoning was that they do not region code the cheap ones as it would cost more to do that! We ended up getting a cheap one in Canadian Tire around $25 I think. Unsure about a vcr player though, I gave mine away before we left.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Videos will be a different matter though. It's hard to find a VCR as it is these days, and in North America VCRs that played PAL tapes were always extremely rare as there was no market for it. It's not worth bringing the tapes, but DVDs yes.
You could bring your own VCR (needs voltage converter) and then either a video converter so the TV recognises the converted output...or have a multisystem TV that recognises the output.

You can also get a multi-system VCR but you still need to convert the signal or have a multi-system TV. It's all expensive.

A good compromise is a UK TV/VCR combo. Just need voltage converter then....oh and adaptor for plug.

If you have time, get the VHS converted to DVD in the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheGrizzlyHattons
...they actually suggested we just buy a cheap dvd player from walmart - his reasoning was that they do not region code the cheap ones as it would cost more to do that! We ended up getting a cheap one in Canadian Tire around $25 I think.
I've had two Canadian Tire DVD players for $25 each. Great value...but neither play UK DVDs.

That thing about it not worth 'region coding' the cheap ones...I'd guess that actually meant not including the ability or feature to change the code rather than not coding the equipment. As they are produced for the North American market, producing anything other than a US region coded machine is surely what would put a cost up.

But then what's cheap? Someone above paid $39 and changed the code.

As with most things, there seem no guarantees.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:02 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
We just purchased a Philips DVD player from Walmart for $39 and entered a region a code from www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
The DVD player now plays all DVD's from anywhere in the world and converts PAL and NTSC
It was really easy to do and only took a few minutes.
I think Philips make a DVD / Video combo but I don't know if this code thing will work on that type of player.
I love you - I have been looking for a code for my TV/DVD player for AGES and have just found it from your link! Much kisses from me
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As they are produced for the North American market, producing anything other than a US region coded machine is surely what would put a cost up.
Nope. I believe all these cheap DVD players use the same chips, so restricting them to region-1 is probably an extra cost on top of just throwing them in a box and generating a few menu bitmaps in Paint.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I love you - I have been looking for a code for my TV/DVD player for AGES and have just found it from your link! Much kisses from me
:embaressed_smile: Glad the link helped
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If you have time, get the VHS converted to DVD in the UK.

Hi
Thanks think this is what I will do