Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PLAR - Scottish secondary school qualifications

PLAR - Scottish secondary school qualifications

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default PLAR - Scottish secondary school qualifications

Has anyone had Scottish secondary school examinations assessed, and if so, what was the outcome?

Our son is due to sit Standards in May 2013, so just wondering how they are viewed. He's doing mainly Foundation / General level.

Can find plenty on GCSEs and A levels, but nothing on the Scottish system.

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

LondonGirl32 has a spectacular aura aboutLondonGirl32 has a spectacular aura aboutLondonGirl32 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: PLAR - Scottish secondary school qualifications

Standard Grades are just as accepted as GCSEs - no problem with having anything accepted. Good Luck to your son in his final exams in May
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LondonGirl32
Standard Grades are just as accepted as GCSEs - no problem with having anything accepted. Good Luck to your son in his final exams in May
Thanks! I hope he gets something to be assessed! He tries, but gets distracted easily...

I read in the Wiki that GCSEs are roughly = Grade 11.

Was hoping someone had actually had Standards assessed and wondered where they fell on the "scale".

We aren't looking for him to be moved on (rather to hopefully just get credited for Grade 10) but there are three levels in Standards, so they aren't all equal.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Thanks! I hope he gets something to be assessed! He tries, but gets distracted easily...

I read in the Wiki that GCSEs are roughly = Grade 11.

Was hoping someone had actually had Standards assessed and wondered where they fell on the "scale".

We aren't looking for him to be moved on (rather to hopefully just get credited for Grade 10) but there are three levels in Standards, so they aren't all equal.
Hi

When we knew we were moving to Canada, we arranged for our 15 year old son to sit all his GCSEs a year early. he worked his butt off doing two years work in the one year and got 7 in grades A-C. That meant that instead of going into his grade 10, he was technically able to be advanced a year ahead of his peer group in Canada. We chose for him to remain within his correct age group. This was a very good move as after a year due to being unable to settle here, he wanted to return to the UK to sit his A Levels and needed to have GCSEs in order to do so. he returned and was happy in school for 3 months, but then our UK house sold and his friend, who he was going to lodge with, could no longer offer to have him due to family illness. he had to return to Canada, but had missed a whole semester. We then asked for the school to assess his prior learning and they did so and credited him with the units for the missed semester.

Scottish qualifications are similar. I only mention this as it may be useful to get the qualifications assessed as some subjects may differ and if for some reason your son fails a unit, maybe you will have something of a back up which you can ask to be considered.

Hope this helps
Stef
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

When we knew we were moving to Canada, we arranged for our 15 year old son to sit all his GCSEs a year early. he worked his butt off doing two years work in the one year and got 7 in grades A-C. That meant that instead of going into his grade 10, he was technically able to be advanced a year ahead of his peer group in Canada. We chose for him to remain within his correct age group. This was a very good move as after a year due to being unable to settle here, he wanted to return to the UK to sit his A Levels and needed to have GCSEs in order to do so. he returned and was happy in school for 3 months, but then our UK house sold and his friend, who he was going to lodge with, could no longer offer to have him due to family illness. he had to return to Canada, but had missed a whole semester. We then asked for the school to assess his prior learning and they did so and credited him with the units for the missed semester.

Scottish qualifications are similar. I only mention this as it may be useful to get the qualifications assessed as some subjects may differ and if for some reason your son fails a unit, maybe you will have something of a back up which you can ask to be considered.

Hope this helps
Stef
Thanks Stef. I hope your son is more settled now.

Right now, I'm not sure why I'm stressing/bothering. My son isn't the "work your butt off" type, more the "might be nice if he got off his butt" type, and it's likely he'll get nothing worthwhile until he improves his attitude to schoolwork, life, etc.

Prelim results aren't looking very promising, so beginning to wonder if we're simply wasting our time staying to let him do exams. I guess it's not the end of the world if he has to stay in school in Canada an extra year (or years) to earn his Grade 12.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Thanks Stef. I hope your son is more settled now.

Right now, I'm not sure why I'm stressing/bothering. My son isn't the "work your butt off" type, more the "might be nice if he got off his butt" type, and it's likely he'll get nothing worthwhile until he improves his attitude to schoolwork, life, etc.

Prelim results aren't looking very promising, so beginning to wonder if we're simply wasting our time staying to let him do exams. I guess it's not the end of the world if he has to stay in school in Canada an extra year (or years) to earn his Grade 12.
Hi

the one good thing about the Canadian system is that if they dont pass a unit.....they are off to summer school. the threat of an extra month of work during their summer holiday can be the incentive they need to pull up their socks. it is not unusual for them to stay in school extra years, or to drop out without their high school diploma.

I hope your son has a massive change of attitude though. i told both my sons that it will be the difference between, hot holidays, hot chicks and a lambourghini, nice home etc and life on benefits, walking to the shops and never being able to afford nice things. Their choice. harsh I know, but so true.

try not to stress about it.....relax.....the teenage years are not the best, but I do wish you well on this journey. canada will be worth it in the end.
Stef
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

the one good thing about the Canadian system is that if they dont pass a unit.....they are off to summer school. the threat of an extra month of work during their summer holiday can be the incentive they need to pull up their socks. it is not unusual for them to stay in school extra years, or to drop out without their high school diploma.

I hope your son has a massive change of attitude though. i told both my sons that it will be the difference between, hot holidays, hot chicks and a lambourghini, nice home etc and life on benefits, walking to the shops and never being able to afford nice things. Their choice. harsh I know, but so true.

try not to stress about it.....relax.....the teenage years are not the best, but I do wish you well on this journey. canada will be worth it in the end.
Stef
Ha ha, we tried all that - although it was a Mini, not a Lambourghini (best be realistic in my son's case). Unfortunately, he's 15, we know nothing and he knows it all. Of course he can get a great, high paying job with all the trimmings without doing any work in school at all. And if not, well the state will support him - his idea, not ours. Odd attitude when he comes from a family who always work.

I think we're in for a long stretch in school, as he isn't leaving without Grade 12.

But yes, I'm not going to stress if he doesn't pass any exams that will give him credits in Canada. His problem if he has to spend summer in school instead of at the beach, or stay on until he's 25.