Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Places in the Okanagan...

Places in the Okanagan...

Old May 5th 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woking to North Vancouver to Basingstoke to Toronto ...
leoline will become famous soon enough
Default Places in the Okanagan...

Having moved to Vancouver then back to the UK and now in Toronto (over the past 8 years), we are now considering the Okanagan.

Which three areas in the Okanagan would you recommend to move to and why?

How easy is it fo find work there? I am a teacher and my OH is a civil engineer.

I have read the Wiki.

Should we just go back?!

Thanks, Leo
Old May 6th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places in the Okanagan...

Originally Posted by leoline
Having moved to Vancouver then back to the UK and now in Toronto (over the past 8 years), we are now considering the Okanagan.

How easy is it fo find work there? I am a teacher and my OH is a civil engineer.

I have read the Wiki.

Should we just go back?!

Thanks, Leo
I guess first questions first - after everywhere you've been, why the Okanagan? What are you seeking (other than jobs)?
Old May 9th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

chan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nice

Originally Posted by leoline

I'm an elementary teacher in BC, so I can comment on the employment prospects here. It all depends on which subject/grade you teach. If you have any specialty areas like French, music and shop, you're in a good position to find a contract soon. If you are a generalist elementary school teacher or a secondary English or Social Studies teacher, it will be very difficult.

You mentioned that you've read the Wiki so you already know about the declining student population and school closures. This situation is more evident in the Okanagan area which has become a preferred destination for retirees and soon-to-be retirees.

As a teacher, you already know about seniority, I'm sure. Most people have to start out as TOC's when they first enter a school district. However, in my school district and in many others, the TOC lists have been recently closed to new applicants. There is a waiting list of 40 people just to get onto my TOC list. This was absolutely unimaginable 10 years ago.

Despite this, if you're certain that the Okanagan is the place for you, I recommend you try to tough it out. It's a beautiful area to live in.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Sorry cant help you on the job front. However, my wife who is originally from vancouver and I intend to move to the OK very soon. We did extensive reccies from Osoyoos to Kamloops and decided. Osoyoos beautiful but seasonal and for the elderly, also too small. Same with Oliver, Vernon was one of our favourites and worth a consideration, Kelowna...too big and hectic for us. Kamloops, well we just didnt get the vibes and didnt like the surrounding terrain. We personally have settled for Penticton....lovely location, not too big, not too small...well worth checking out. Hope this helps.