Phoning home

Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:10 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phoning home

We are going on holiday to Canada in May. We have Tesco mobiles, £0.89 per minute to phone home. We shall use Skype on my laptop where we can get free WiFi connection.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative? Maybe a Canadian mobile or SIM card?

Many Thanks, Bob
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice
Default Re: Phoning home

Originally Posted by missile
We are going on holiday to Canada in May. We have Tesco mobiles, £0.89 per minute to phone home. We shall use Skype on my laptop where we can get free WiFi connection.

Many Thanks, Bob
I use a Vox calling card which is especially for the UK. The connection charge is 29c and I've been talking to my daughter back in the UK for over an hour for that price! You can buy one for about $10. Thinking about it I call from a landline. I don't know if a mobile would be any different.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:50 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm on holiday, I never call home. I might send a postcard, that's it.

Holidays are for leaving the mobiles behind.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Many Thanks, Bob
There are also Ci-Ci calling cards which you can buy in 711 and other convenience stores. When used with a landline, C$10 gives you 500 minutes calling time to the UK with no connection fee. You get 55 to 75 minutes with a mobile for the same cost.

http://www.cicicallingcard.com/rates
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:50 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Jings, We all have different priorities and responsibilities. My mum is 87 and I run my own company. We are on holiday for a month and it is very important to me to keep in touch
Old Apr 17th 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

I have set up skype to allow calls to UK landlines for free, can't remember cost, bit it is on their website. I find skype to landline to be more stable than skype to skype. If you have an iPhone and are calling another iPhone try viber, both phones need to sign up for it, but it is free app. You also get free texts. Beware of roaming costs when using data. Free wifi is available in second cup coffee shops for everyone, not network resticted as Starbucks is.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:10 pm
Started off with nothing

Thx Rich, I have Skype to phone on my PC. It's not free but quite cheap to use. I don't have an iPhone.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Thx Rich, I have Skype to phone on my PC. It's not free but quite cheap to use. I don't have an iPhone.
If you subscribe to unlimited UK, it costs £6.99 per month for unlimited calls to UK landlines.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
There are also Ci-Ci calling cards which you can buy in 711 and other convenience stores. When used with a landline, C$10 gives you 500 minutes calling time to the UK with no connection fee. You get 55 to 75 minutes with a mobile for the same cost.

http://www.cicicallingcard.com/rates
Yup, I second the Ci-Ci phone cards - I use them to call family & friends in the UK. A $10 card gives hours and hours of calls - a $5 one would be ample if you're only here on holiday. You dial a local number to initiate the call so to keep it cheap use a local number to dial out from.