Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Phone suggestion for you in Canada & your Family in the UK

Phone suggestion for you in Canada & your Family in the UK

Old May 31st 2007, 6:47 am
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all
Default Re: Phone suggestion for you in Canada & your Family in the UK

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
We've done the same. We were disgusted by Bell's policy of charging a huge deposit if you have no credit history with Bell themselves, and since we rarely make outgoing calls it made sense to get Vonage. It's also free calls within Canada, to the US and to the UK, so when I do get the urge to speak to my family somewhere in whatever country they happen to be in, it doesn't cost me anything. OH has a weekly phone call to his mum (her request, not his), but she can't seem to grasp that it's free. She'll say 'let me ring you back', calls the 0121 number and pays for a local call instead of our free one.

We started with Skype, it was OK, but where we stayed for the first few months (my brother's guest room) we had a flaky net connection and my brother had a habit of unplugging our wireless router when he felt like it, usually mid-way through a call.

It is a great service and you get all the bells and whistles free as well...Plus it saves a tree over time with paperless billing...I like skype but my telecommunications were out of control and all over the place..had a skype usb phone, landline...msn messenger sheeshhh..so now got rid of it all except Vonage and MSN messenger..

rgds

John
Old May 31st 2007, 6:50 am
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
My parents-in-common-law have Vonage. It's usable but at the level of, say, Bell Mobility; about a third of the calls result in one party being able to hear the other but not the other way around. "I'm sorry I'm using Vonage" will soon be as common a phrase as "I'm sorry, I'm on a cell". Fortunately, with Vonage, you don't lose the call when the house goes under a bridge or passes a hill.
Theres a bandwidth feature that can help with that if you have them logon to their account online.

rgds

John
Old May 31st 2007, 6:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
Theres a bandwidth feature that can help with that if you have them logon to their account online.

rgds

John

I'd rather they just used a proper phone. If they're really pushed for a dollar they can email.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:53 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I get around this problem by using a regular Bell line and recharging all calls to the UK to my employer. And the taxman.