Pet Export

Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:31 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
dippy1952 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet Export

Any info on current cost of transporting a dog from the U.K. to Nova Scotia would be appreciated.
dippy1952 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2020, 12:51 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,533
lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

We did ours ourselves. We bought a travel kennel as Per instructions on Air Canada site, tells you how to measure the dog, what sort of travel kennel s are permitted, and they will be able to give you a price. When we did it we didnt need to use a pet kenneling service. I am not sure if that has changed. My husband was still in UK , myself and our sons were in Canada.

Do make sure you get your pet passport and fitness to fly letter from your vet.........I set this up before I left UK, my husband took her to the vet a couple of days before her flight for the letter as that cant be done much in advance. He emailed me copies so I had a full set in Canada. One set has to go with the dog and we kept a spare incase they lost any of the documents. We booked her on an Air Canada Cargo flight and another flight to get her to Windsor Ontario. He dropped her off at 4am for and 8am flight out of Heathrow. She flew into Toronto and was put on her connecting flight two hours after landing in Toronto. I was waiting at Windsor airport with my paperwork and the airport fee, showed my docs and they took me to get her. She was sleepy, but otherwise fine. Air Canada Cargo have pressurized temperature controlled holds specifically for animals and dedicated staff to check on them during the journey and make sure they have water etc. The kennel you sue has to be secured with a zip tie, not a padlock to enable staff to help an animal if it is needed or to set them free if the plane was in danger. They are very experienced and my Labrador arrived safe and sound. You save a lot of money if you can do it all yourself and not involve animal shippers. Good luck, it will be emotional picking them up though so take tissues with you.
lins and Stef McLachlan is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2020, 2:33 am
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan View Post
We did ours ourselves. We bought a travel kennel as Per instructions on Air Canada site, tells you how to measure the dog, what sort of travel kennel s are permitted, and they will be able to give you a price. When we did it we didnt need to use a pet kenneling service. I am not sure if that has changed. My husband was still in UK , myself and our sons were in Canada.

Do make sure you get your pet passport and fitness to fly letter from your vet.........I set this up before I left UK, my husband took her to the vet a couple of days before her flight for the letter as that cant be done much in advance. He emailed me copies so I had a full set in Canada. One set has to go with the dog and we kept a spare incase they lost any of the documents. We booked her on an Air Canada Cargo flight and another flight to get her to Windsor Ontario. He dropped her off at 4am for and 8am flight out of Heathrow. She flew into Toronto and was put on her connecting flight two hours after landing in Toronto. I was waiting at Windsor airport with my paperwork and the airport fee, showed my docs and they took me to get her. She was sleepy, but otherwise fine. Air Canada Cargo have pressurized temperature controlled holds specifically for animals and dedicated staff to check on them during the journey and make sure they have water etc. The kennel you sue has to be secured with a zip tie, not a padlock to enable staff to help an animal if it is needed or to set them free if the plane was in danger. They are very experienced and my Labrador arrived safe and sound. You save a lot of money if you can do it all yourself and not involve animal shippers. Good luck, it will be emotional picking them up though so take tissues with you.
You only need a pet passport if you intend to return to the UK with the animal... otherwise all that's needed is a fit to fly certificate.
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets-Canada
Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2020, 4:11 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,533
lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

We got the pet passport because we didnt know if we would be staying in Canada. We lost Bonnie when she was 15yrs 3 months which is great for a Labrador, in 2018.

After 10 years, we are looking to return to the UK to live with Poppy, our 2 year old Labrador next year, so will be getting a pet passport again for her .
lins and Stef McLachlan is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:53 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 429
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

If you've got things sorted, you can do it yourself - for around £250.

Air canada is around £175, Air transat is about the same, west jet is more like £120.

You'll need an IATA approved crate - can regularly find these on facebook for £20-£40 dependant on how far your willing to travel and how quick you want one. then you just need your fit to fly - which may be a standard vet consultation charge or a bit more.

Note- this is basing off a dog flying in the hold, cargo rates or in cabin flights for small dogs are differently priced, but I've never looked into it, so can't comment.

Going through an agency I had quotes early on in COVID of around £450-700 if providing my own IATA approved crates. but this depends as mine were picking the dogs up from my house/a friends house, or including a night or 2 of boarding pre travel - but this was based on 2 dogs, so not sure if i was getting a significant discount as it was obviously only 1 airport trip for the company.
Stumpylegs is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 4:21 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,533
lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Seems too cheap though as we did it ourselves back in 2010 and it cost us $800 to fly her in. Having said that it was the double flights. Heathrow to Toronto to Windsor, we would want to do the same in reverse. Hooe your dogs have settled well.
thanks again
lins and Stef McLachlan is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 6:55 am
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan View Post
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Seems too cheap though as we did it ourselves back in 2010 and it cost us $800 to fly her in. Having said that it was the double flights. Heathrow to Toronto to Windsor, we would want to do the same in reverse. Hooe your dogs have settled well.
thanks again
Air Transat: To and from Europe: CAD $275 each way per animal, but returning to the UK dogs (and cats) have to fly in Cargo - so will be a bit more expensive
https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...d-service-dogs
To Republic of Ireland and to United Kingdom: Cats and dogs are accepted as cargo only on Air Transat flights – advance arrangements are required and additional fees apply.
Exceptions:
  • Certified service dogs and emotional support dogs are accepted on flights to London (when reserved through our Call Centre in advance).
  • Certified service dogs are accepted on flights to Manchester, Dublin and Glasgow.
Air Canada normally charge $270 but because you are returning to the UK, Air Canada require you to use a Pet transportation company - unless it's a service or support dog
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ance/pets.html
Flights to or via the U.K.:
Bookings for pets travelling to or via the United Kingdom must be completed via an approved pet shipper as listed on the International Pet and Animal Transportation AssociationExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. IPATA) website.
I wonder if you can register your dog as a support animal

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 22nd 2020 at 7:02 am.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 7:18 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 429
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan View Post
Thank you so much for your quick reply. Seems too cheap though as we did it ourselves back in 2010 and it cost us $800 to fly her in. Having said that it was the double flights. Heathrow to Toronto to Windsor, we would want to do the same in reverse. Hooe your dogs have settled well.
thanks again
Did you use a company or do it or yourself?

Ive checked and double checked them prices and have rang westjet as it seemed ridiculously cheap. But that's what I was quoted (in mid Feb and probably around April) Crates are mega bucks brand new, but typically once they've been used they are of no use to original owner so can be had very cheap.

We haven't travelled yet - I haven't had COPR through due to COVID (I hope that's why it's not through) but have prepped and researched to the 9s as I want to hit the ground running if the time of year is right.

Just noted as the above post - the OP is travelling into Canada as I am hoping too, so all my points hold true for them (and apply for flying into NS/calgary since the rates are the same - again I've checked and double checked) but things may not be the same for yourselves travelling back.


​​
Stumpylegs is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 9:14 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,533
lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

No, we did it ourselves and I thought it was very expensive at the time.....but I made a mistake....I wrote $800.....should have read £800. It cost nearly as much as our individual flights.. she travelled Air Canada Cargo. I knew that the rules changed about being allowed to DIY after we sent her, I was hoping that it had changed back. Air Canada Cargo was brilliant......anyone got experience of Air Transat for transporting pets. We only used them to fly to Canada once and we had a less than plesant experience. Dont know if I would feel comfortable sending my dog with them.
lins and Stef McLachlan is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 4:27 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 380
Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan View Post
No, we did it ourselves and I thought it was very expensive at the time.....but I made a mistake....I wrote $800.....should have read £800. It cost nearly as much as our individual flights.. she travelled Air Canada Cargo. I knew that the rules changed about being allowed to DIY after we sent her, I was hoping that it had changed back. Air Canada Cargo was brilliant......anyone got experience of Air Transat for transporting pets. We only used them to fly to Canada once and we had a less than plesant experience. Dont know if I would feel comfortable sending my dog with them.
We used Air Transat to fly our two dogs over from Manchester to Calgary in 2013, in the hold of the same flight we were on. $275 per dog. The check-in and handling staff were excellent, everything was easy on arrival regarding collecting them, we had no complaints at all. That was into Canada and seven years ago, I couldn't say anything about going the other way currently, though.
Bucks_Family is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 12:00 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 60
AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

Apoloigies if I have missed this, but depends on your plan, ie. short term or longer, with the pandemic affecting services. We looked about a year ago, and it was a lot easier. In times of uncertainty like now, things are a little different.

Please note that things a much more complex right now re restrictions on flights from the UK to Canada with COVID. I have currently been trying to sort this out myself (different thread).

Pet shipping agents are quite twitchy about the whole thing and quite rightly so. They are not wanting to say a flight is direct and when in a weeks time, the schedule is changed. This is particularly relevant for smaller airports like Calgary, probably the same for the likes of Halifax. They will quote though. There is a distinct lack of direct flights, and the of course can cause issues for pet transport and I do not want to place my dog on an indirect flight, specially in the colder months.

Air Canada is running pet transport directly to certain airports, British Airways to such places as Toronto but appears restricted. It's all very 'up in the air' excuse the pun.... some are only accepting pets after special permission - which is different to when we looked previously. Prices are higher than they were, I assume due to the added complexities. I believe as of right now, AC aren’t quoting at all to the public and they will only accept pet cargo via a shipper.

My advice, like what we are looking at right now, is to speak to a shipper (lots out there) but make sure you look for the IPATA certification (International Pet and Animal Transportation Association). You can search for a shipper on their website.

Then you have the problems if you are having to quarantine as pets arriving are not normally at the airport terminal - This is important as you may need to get a quote for a Canadian shipper to receive your pet and complete documentation on your behalf, and transport to you.

In summary, right now, things are not as cheap as they were a year ago!
AdamfromWales is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 3:50 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,533
lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Pet Export

Thank you so much for this reply. We have only just made the decision to return to the UK, so I expect it is going to take a year for us to get there as there are a lot of considerations before we will be in a position to make the move. Maybe everything will have calmed down again by then.
so I am trying to actively lay down the foundations for the move.....planning is key.
lins and Stef McLachlan is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2020, 10:35 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 429
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Export

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales View Post
Apoloigies if I have missed this, but depends on your plan, ie. short term or longer, with the pandemic affecting services. We looked about a year ago, and it was a lot easier. In times of uncertainty like now, things are a little different.

Please note that things a much more complex right now re restrictions on flights from the UK to Canada with COVID. I have currently been trying to sort this out myself (different thread).

Pet shipping agents are quite twitchy about the whole thing and quite rightly so. They are not wanting to say a flight is direct and when in a weeks time, the schedule is changed. This is particularly relevant for smaller airports like Calgary, probably the same for the likes of Halifax. They will quote though. There is a distinct lack of direct flights, and the of course can cause issues for pet transport and I do not want to place my dog on an indirect flight, specially in the colder months.

Air Canada is running pet transport directly to certain airports, British Airways to such places as Toronto but appears restricted. It's all very 'up in the air' excuse the pun.... some are only accepting pets after special permission - which is different to when we looked previously. Prices are higher than they were, I assume due to the added complexities. I believe as of right now, AC aren’t quoting at all to the public and they will only accept pet cargo via a shipper.

My advice, like what we are looking at right now, is to speak to a shipper (lots out there) but make sure you look for the IPATA certification (International Pet and Animal Transportation Association). You can search for a shipper on their website.

Then you have the problems if you are having to quarantine as pets arriving are not normally at the airport terminal - This is important as you may need to get a quote for a Canadian shipper to receive your pet and complete documentation on your behalf, and transport to you.

In summary, right now, things are not as cheap as they were a year ago!
in the 3 or so I spoke to, (granted I've told them my situation and won't be flying straight away, and this way april at a guess) the cost increases they were talking about were negligible for those sticking them in the hold on the same flight as you - (presumably as the rates are still the same, and they've got no real risk, as your on the same flight so if the flight goes or not doesn't create too much grief as ultimately pet and owner are in the same situation) they've just expressed concerns that it may not be pick of the flights and to coordinate everything very well around booking at the same time etc.

I haven't looked into shipping them as cargo at all, as it wasn't something i particularly wanted to do pre COVID and is as you say more complex than ever now. What sort of prices have been quoted to you? as now you've got me wondering if the prices i was given in April were given that this would all blow over in a few weeks and be back to normal.

Wasn't aware AC weren't allowing you to DIY it for flying in hold currently, so that's obviously changed through the pandemic.
Stumpylegs is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2020, 11:24 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,533
lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Export

Air Canada changed the DIY that we did, not long after we managed to do it back in August 2010, so its been changed for a long time. I was kind if hoping that it may have changed back in the meantime. Our circumstances were different as we all landed at the same time, but my husband had to return to work a month later because we hadnt sold the house at that point and still had the mortgage to pay for that. I stayed in Canada with the boys......so after about two months when I moved from a friends basement into my first rental, I called for my Labrador to join us in Canada and we booked the flight Canada Air Cargo because neither of us was travelling at that time........my husband took her to Heathrow and hande her and the documentation over to Air Canada Cargo four hours before the flight. She landed in Toronto and was then put on a flight to Windsor Ontario, where I picked her up. She had travelled well and had no problems whatsoever.

coming back to live, I dont know what the arrangements are going to be at that time. Although the ideal would be for us all to travel together, that would bring some problems. We are hoping that my husband finds a job and returns alone and finds accommodation. Its hard taking a dog to hotels or friends and I would rather have somewhere to call home first, even if it was fir the short term. In that scenario, myself, my sons and Poppy, our Labrador would travel on the same flight is possible.
lins and Stef McLachlan is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2020, 11:55 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 429
Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Export

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan View Post
Air Canada changed the DIY that we did, not long after we managed to do it back in August 2010, so its been changed for a long time. I was kind if hoping that it may have changed back in the meantime.
Air Canada cargo has been shipping company only for as long as I've been planning my move, but Air Canada with a pet in checked baggage was still a DIY option earlier this year? At least that's what my look into it suggested
Stumpylegs is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.